Painting rivets on hardware

Lanstys

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Ok, so a possibly controversial topic:
I recently purchased a 2nd hand kit. It’s got DW3000 hardware and in the process of taring it down to clean and check everything, I noticed the rivets had some surface rust. I thought, thats ok, I’ll just clean them up and use a rust converter/primer and paint them with a chrome paint... no-one will know and I wont be gigging, so it‘s really just to protect them and not look bad.

Turns out chrome paint is ‘chrome-like’ meaning shinny silver. So the question of the day, based on this quick test, do I go with the ‘chrome-like‘ which looks slightly worse against the real chrome in person when it catches the light (it looks silver), or just go gloss black?

My feeling is that the ‘chrome-like’ is just far enough away from actual chrome to look out of place, but not far enough to look like I meant it.

So please vote: black or chrome-like?
Other opinions also welcome!

- Thanks!

Attachments

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
I would take 0000 Steel Wool and clean the rivets(I couldn’t see in picture)then follow w/Metal Polish then wax. Or if you have a Dremel use that w/attachment. I’m a big fan of Whites Diamond Metal Polish. You can leave it after that treatment but I like to follow w/Pure Carnuba Wax. I favor Meguiars or Mothers. That chrome paint is just useless. My 2 cents.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Chrome-like

Did you get the paint from an automotive shop? Years ago we ordered a chrome strip for an old car, found that we needed to paint it and it looked really nice, although it was not close to other chrome parts on the car.

Although it's a personal decision, I think over time you'll get use to it.

sherm

PS: I just read Rockin' Billy's reply. Not a bad idea.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt it's a very controversial topic at all! Welcome to the forum. I think everyone who responds would agree that you should just make them look "better" than they do now, with some kind of cleaning and treatment. Whether that's wax as suggested above, or paint, they will look better than they do rusted. The surface area is so small that I don't think the chrome-ish paint or the black would be offensive at all if you feel they need to be painted. No one else will ever notice them, only you will even know you had to do the work.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rivets on cymbal stands are rarely chrome anyhow, that is why they rust. They are galvanized steel or zinc hot treated to make them rust resistant, so I would imagine that the silver " chrome like " will look pretty close to how the rivets originally looked from the factory. I think what you have done with the chrome paint look fine.

Lanstys

Reaction score
Before and afters. This is some hardware that came with the MIJ KIT DWSlingerland45 gave me.(thanks again)It can be done.
Wow, that is amazing! I don’t think my job is as hard as yours was but it great to know what’s possible!

The process you described is pretty much what I’ve done with the rest. A bit of aluminium foil and WD-40 to start with, 0000 steel wool if needed or to get into those hard to reach places, then a polish and wax.

The hard bit is cleaning out the semi-hollow, non-domed side. Honestly, if it wasn’t so expensive, I’d get the tool to re-rivet them.

Lanstys

Reaction score
Rivets on cymbal stands are rarely chrome anyhow, that is why they rust. They are galvanized steel or zinc hot treated to make them rust resistant, so I would imagine that the silver " chrome like " will look pretty close to how the rivets originally looked from the factory. I think what you have done with the chrome paint look fine.
Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Yeah I’d say they are zinc plated In that case. Don’t Have that galvanised look.
Thanks for the feedback! It looks better when they are still wet... maybe i’ll add a gloss coat... or maybe I should just leave it and get onto cleaning up the actual drums!

Lanstys

Reaction score
Chrome-like

Did you get the paint from an automotive shop? Years ago we ordered a chrome strip for an old car, found that we needed to paint it and it looked really nice, although it was not close to other chrome parts on the car.

Although it's a personal decision, I think over time you'll get use to it.

sherm

PS: I just read Rockin' Billy's reply. Not a bad idea.
Yeah from a auto shop, at their recommendation - CRC Kromebrite is the brand and type.
The more I sit with the chrome-like, the more I’m unsure... It dulls as soon as its touched or polished, or even clear coated with an Enamel clear gloss. It’s been a few days since painted. fresh it wasn’t bad.