Pairing Hi-Hat Cymbal Weights

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
Having played many pairs of hi-hats over the years, I came up with a theory, when it comes to matching the weights of the two cymbals. I believe that the bottom hat should only be ONE weight heavier than the top hat cymbal. Otherwise, the top will be doing all the work. I have a pair of a medium top, matched to a medium-heavy bottom, and have owned a medium-heavy top with a heavy bottom. I cringe when I see someone who has a paper-thin top, matched to an extra heavy bottom! Your thoughts?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Makes sense, but isn't very accurate :)
Try gram weights and tario instead of difference. For example 2:3 would be a pretty big difference, some New Beat pairs (or Paiste Dark Cripss) might have it, for example 1000g over 1500g. 3:4 might be more normal, such as 900g over 1200g, or 4:5, such as 800g over 1000g.

TPC

Reaction score
Generally, I agree.

But way back in the day I regularly used a Paiste 14" 2oo2 Crash over a SCDHSE bottom. About 750/1300 (4:7). Worked great!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Johnnyboy, you've come up with a hypothesis, rather than a theory.
Your pairing is good but yes better to get weights, and sometines there areno rules. Sabian HHX Evolutions have a very light top (900 g) and very heavy bottom(1450 g) yet still sound great, depending on what you're after.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Having played many pairs of hi-hats over the years, I came up with a theory, when it comes to matching the weights of the two cymbals. I believe that the bottom hat should only be ONE weight heavier than the top hat cymbal. Otherwise, the top will be doing all the work. I have a pair of a medium top, matched to a medium-heavy bottom, and have owned a medium-heavy top with a heavy bottom. I cringe when I see someone who has a paper-thin top, matched to an extra heavy bottom! Your thoughts?
Then you should probably never play any Paiste hi-hats.
I swear every line has now adopted the "Dark Crisp" formula of an extra thin top over an extra heavy bottom
They're like New Beats on acid.
I had a pair of 13" Signature DC's, and it was a 746g. top over a 1340g. bottom.
Tbh, they sounded pretty good. Nice crunchy chick. Dark tick, but the slosh was rather clangy....it bugged me.
I swapped around a few cymbals, but started off by lightening the bottom cymbal.
That setup has now morphed into a 13" Dark Energy top over a 13" Signature Medium bottom.
748g over 935.5g.
Now, they're heaven.
...however, getting back to your statement, my belief is that, like anything else with cymbals, how they sound and react goes far beyond just their weight.

Elvis

Last edited:

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like both ends of this sound spectrum. I have a pair of Byzance Sand Hats weighing in at 845/1502 that are really crispy and articulate. What's cool about these Hats is that they sound great when you flip them, as well. The extra heavy bottom provides an incredibly defined stick attack.

I also love the Equilibrium Hats; these generally have a weight difference of about 20 to 50 grams between the top and bottom, which gives them a very nice, papery sound. Hats like that remind me of '70s R&B.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Weights are great for ballparking hi-hats but they're not determinative. I've found a 300 +/- variance between top and bottom usually works well.

I don't find most crashes work well as top cymbals beyond 13" due to their weight distribution - they tend to sound cuppy or chambered when sticking from having an overall thinner profile across the entire body. The exception being Ufip's thicker bridge area with all their cymbals. The 14" Ufip M class or Rough series crashes make nice tops, especially if you'd like the option to crash an open hat without a clangy character.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Those weights are similar to my 15" Istanbul Agop Traditional Medium hats, but my bottom is a bit lighter: 1114g / 1329g.
They sound fantastic.
I've been pretty lucky, when it comes to hi-hats.