Paiste 2002 Big Beat Set

skelt101

Reaction score
Hello folks,
First post here! It seems after the Black Friday sales, I have a set of the Paiste 2002 Black Big Beats headed my way. (Went with the "Big Sound" pack, with 15" Hats, 18", 20" and 24" Multi.) I'm very excited! From reading reviews online, one of the biggest criticisms of this series is the hats can seem a little weak... Of course, I will try them out in my setup first to see how they sound. But, how are people dealing with them if they are "weak"? I would consider a heavier bottom, such as 2002 SE, 602 ME, or the 900 Heavy as a wild card... What do you all think? BTW, I usually play Classic Rock/Rock/Blues type stuff. Thanks in advance! :occasion5:

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I havent had any issues of them being weak. I receive compliments all the time on my hats. I have the 15 hh 18 19 20 24 and they all are great cymbals!

Reaction score
the hats are great, I have the same set they are killer, the 20 is my favorite

blownaway

Reaction score
I liked the high hats a lot (as as well as the 22" ride and crashes). I tried both the 15" and 16" hats. They were a little dark for the sound I was after, but it was very difficult to let these go. The Big Beats are great cymbals.

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You nailed in your first post. If you find them on the light side, use a heavier bottom. I’ve used the BB top with 2002 SE bottoms and the new 900 Heavy bottom with great results.

Enjoy the Big Beats! I’m a big fan of them. All of those sizes are great though the 18” was too light for my liking so I stuck with a 19”.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I really want to try the 16" hats. I have a 24" Big Beat coming Saturday. If I like it, I'll most likely match with the big hats.

skelt101

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I've managed to spend a bit of time with the 2002 Big Beat set. Overall, I really like them, especially the larger sizes! The 20" and 24" really can do it all, from crashing to riding. And if you have an occasion to break out some mallets- oh my! Just gorgeous! The 18" and 15" hats are a bit of a different story...
I think I like the hats, but I seem to be getting a pretty serious case of air-lock while playing some steady heel-up time-keeping. So much so that the top hat actually picks the bottom up off of the seat. (And this is with the seat at full tilt.) I'm going to try and pin the bottom down with a rubber grommet, but a heavier bottom may be in order. Perhaps a 602 ME... I've never played a Sound Edge and don't know how I'd feel about it.
With the 18", there is a undertone to the wash that seems much more pronounced than in the other models. I'm thinking a dedicated 18" crash might be more my speed in this position. So far, the top contenders are the 602 ME and the Dark Energy. The 2002s and Giant Beats seem a little too bright and/or lack what I would call a huskiness to the midrange. Any suggestions?

blownaway

Reaction score
For me at least, the dark energy 18” has a low undertone which I wasn’t in love with behind the kit. Out front, 30 ft away it may be an entirely different story. The ME 18” crash has a brighter pitch than the DE 18” but a warmer lower pitch than 2002s and signature fulls. It just depends on the sound your after. For me the ME 18” fits right in the middle pitch wise (not to high, not too low) and has warmth and SLIGHTLY dark quality. Chocolately according to Vinnie ;) The DE 18” is a touch darker sounding than the ME, also a very beautiful sounding crash cymbal.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 24" in great condition in the marketplace. I really liked it but realized I don't have the energy go build a Paiste set up when the rest are K's.

skelt101

Reaction score
For me at least, the dark energy 18” has a low undertone which I wasn’t in love with behind the kit. Out front, 30 ft away it may be an entirely different story. The ME 18” crash has a brighter pitch than the DE 18” but a warmer lower pitch than 2002s and signature fulls. It just depends on the sound your after. For me the ME 18” fits right in the middle pitch wise (not to high, not too low) and has warmth and SLIGHTLY dark quality. Chocolately according to Vinnie ;) The DE 18” is a touch darker sounding than the ME, also a very beautiful sounding crash cymbal.
Excellent description! Thanks, blownaway! I do hear the Dark Energy's undertone in the soundfiles, but it seems pretty subtle. (At least compared to the Big Beat!) The 602 sounds cleaner with respect to the wash, but DE's sustain length might be a better match... I'm digging the slight trashiness too! Another wildcard consideration is the Masters 22" Swish. But I don't know if it could keep up with the Big Beats, volume-wise. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Excellent description! Thanks, blownaway! I do hear the Dark Energy's undertone in the soundfiles, but it seems pretty subtle. (At least compared to the Big Beat!) The 602 sounds cleaner with respect to the wash, but DE's sustain length might be a better match... I'm digging the slight trashiness too! Another wildcard consideration is the Masters 22" Swish. But I don't know if it could keep up with the Big Beats, volume-wise. Decisions, decisions...
Regarding the 22" Masters Swish, I have one and love it - a superb cymbal in the right application IMHO. However, I'd say you are tracking correctly with concerns to volume output from the Master Swish - not a loud cymbal in terms of sheer output or frequency range and not what I'd consider a good candidate for heavy playing with regards to its longevity. The 22" 602 Modern Essentials China gets loud and doesn't flinch.

skelt101

Reaction score
Just thought I would update this thread for anyone curious. Found good deals on a new 900 15" Heavy Bottom Hat and a used 602 18" Modern Essentials Crash to mix in with the set. Regardless of price, the 900 Heavy Bottom made this set of hats come alive! Might be a little harder to get a semi-open sound than with the standard 2002 Big Beat (which I thought was excellent). But, with the seat adjusted for less angle, I was able to dial it in. The chick sound is just ridiculous! Very distinct without being shrill- gorgeous! I can see why the Zildjian K/Z combo is so well regarded. If anyone is struggling with their 2002 15" Big Beat Hats, I highly recommend checking out the 900 Heavy Bottom! What can I say about the 602 ME? Even thought it is billed as a crash and not a multi, I simply preferred every aspect of it (e.g. edge crash, shoulder riding, bell) over the 2002 BB. All around, just a great cymbal! That being said, I'm still curious how a Dark Energy crash would fit in with this massaged set of Big Beats...

blownaway

Reaction score
Thanks for the update & your perspective. The same can be said for the 20" ME crash - very versatile cymbal as you say. I'm going to audition the the ME 20" ride next week to see how well it crash/rides (!)

Latest posts