Paiste 2002 questions

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you prefer and why? I have watched the videos already but would like to hear from the horses mouth as well. Thanks

Paiste 2002 red label
Paiste 2002 Big Beat

The red labels I’m looking at are just the normal weights, not the thins or mediums. I am looking at getting someone a X-Mas box set.

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
I prefer Red Label, more shimmer and sustain.
For a darker sound, I like the Giant Beats with great sustain, I have both sets.

Big Beats are good and darker, but less sustain.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cant speak to the big beats, but i had a full set of red labels at one point. They have all the paiste characteristics you hear about, bright, crisp musical etc. The problem was I just missed the dirt and smoke from darker b20 cymbals. They were beautiful cymbals, but i missed the nuance of more traditional turkish pies.

I am very curious about the big beats, as they to sit more in the middle of a traditional b8 cymbal and a b20.

sammy123

Reaction score
I don't have red labels, but a bunch of original black label 2002 rides (18, 20, 20 flat, 22). Bright and shimmery, even with all the patina. Nice integrated bells. Great for classic rock and country I guess.

I also have most of the Big Beats (all but the 24, 21, and 16" hats)

The Big Beats are great. I'm not sure dark is the word I would use, but they are softer, much lighter, washier and totally crashable. I like them a lot. I agree with the comment that they have a much shorter sustain that the red/black labels.

If you find a good deal on either set, go for it. Or buy used the models you want from both sets.

I've never heard a Giant Beat in person, but I've considered grabbing a few to compare.

stuart s

Reaction score
Sigs have a more "complex sound", its not as straight ahead energetic shimmer as the 2002's. For example the Sig Se hats, they are louder then the 2002 counterpart, but to me the open hh sound has a distinct complexity to it, much like the Custom A's. That sound wears on me after a while. Same for the rides, esp on the rides.

But yes if you like that sound, go for it and pay more, my experience with Sigs is that its tiring after a while, much like the Rudes.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't played the Big Beats, but I own quite a few Red Labels. I did compare the sound files of the 22" 2002 Ride, Big Beat and Giant Beat before settling on the regular 2002.

As said above, the 2002s have that characteristic glassy shimmer. They (along with Giant Beats) are the sounds that got me hooked on Paiste to begin with. I've owned other lines (RUDE, Sound Formula, 2000, 3000, Sigs, Dimensions), but the 2002s are my favories. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a set of Big Beats, but if I could only have one, I'd go with the Red Label 2002s.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys

I got my buddy the red labels and myself the Big Beats. I’m not sure what I am going to do with the 24” ride though?

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Your buddy’s a lucky guy or gal - I don’t think my mom loves me enough to buy me a set of cymbals.

I got my buddy the red labels and myself the Big Beats. I’m not sure what I am going to do with the 24” ride though?
Use as intended!
I have the Giant Beat set, which share a majority of their DNA with modern 2002’s, and the 24” absolutely runs with the vintage 602’s, Zildjian, and even original GB 24”s I’ve had. Big rides are the best.

L300burn

Reaction score
The red 2002 are great B8 cymbals, but I would reserve them for rock. The crashes are amazing and the ride is quite nice. But this is also John Bonham’s choice, so follow Bonzo. (I would check out the 15 and 17 crashes!! So good!)

Iristone

Reaction score
For the "classic" 2002 tone, the red label ones are closer to that I think (but IIRC not identical, slightly different profile), the smooth, Zildjian A style hammerings. Big Beats looks like kind of looser, K style hammering. I've never played the Big Beats, but my red label ride is pretty sweet. It's not as deep as my Armand, but OTOH has tons of bright, shimmering overtones, while never losing definition. Can't go wrong with this one. :thumbleft:

fusseltier

Reaction score
I had black paint 2002s in the 70s, but when I wanted to get more cymbals, the line was discontinued. I was so happy in the 80s when they brought back the line. Actually I like both, but I haven't tried the new black label models.
I've got 16 cymbals left from over 20 of the 2002s I've gotten since the 80s, and still play 8 of them.
My favorite are 13 and 15 inch crashes, i had 13,15,17,19 but I traded the 19 for a snare, and I got a new 19 power crash a few months ago. I also have 20, 22 rides but use the 20 the most. I have two pairs of 14 sound edge hihats. Love them, i had 15s in the 70s but when I went to buy new ones in the 80s all I could find were 14s, so I stuck with them. I had a couple china's but rarely used them. Actually I got a pstx 14 Swiss thin crash and it's probably my favorite cymbal and is also a cheaper alternative to a China even though when i ordered it I didn't know what to expect. But it's great. I have 4 different splashes, two are 2002, a 10 and 12 splash. The other are 10 zildjian over 30 years old and an 8 alpha thin splash.
At one time I had over twenty cymbals and used them all, but I sold my old set and some of the cymbals with it, and I only have 16 cymbals now set up with my 8 piece Tama Star Walnut set with matching snare. I got the two Tama mini tymps, 6 and 8 inch, so that brings the pieces of drums to 10 piece set. Using Evans hydraulic glass heads for the toms batter, my bass is a 20 x 18, that's the deepest 20 they offered, it's got a powerstoke3 batter and the fiber head reso. And not to forget the Tama Power Tower Racks.
I use pearl eliminator 3002c double pedal and a pearl h1050 hihat stand.
I have a Roland TM-2 and two pads also, and I found a used Roland TD-6 module I'll use for more pads.
I use promark 5a and zildjian red sticks, both are my primary sticks.
My set has been called a "monster".
It is pretty large, i order custom sizes toms and bass from Japan, and its probably one of a kind. Of course i don't take it out of the house. If i play anywhere i use house or someone else's drums with some of my cymbals, or I'll use my Roland set.
You can see my avatar is a Tama Star Walnut by the badge and finish of the wood.
I have been using 2002s since the 70s. I tried Sabian and returned them. I do have one zildjian 10 inch splash that's 30+ years and really surprised its not cracked, but like I said, I'm not a heavy player.
Also using a 16 inch 602 thin crash and a 17 inch Twenty thin crash. I might have overlooked something, but that's pretty much my set.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had black paint 2002s in the 70s, but when I wanted to get more cymbals, the line was discontinued. I was so happy in the 80s when they brought back the line. Actually I like both, but I haven't tried the new black label models.
I've got 16 cymbals left from over 20 of the 2002s I've gotten since the 80s, and still play 8 of them.
My favorite are 13 and 15 inch crashes, i had 13,15,17,19 but I traded the 19 for a snare, and I got a new 19 power crash a few months ago. I also have 20, 22 rides but use the 20 the most. I have two pairs of 14 sound edge hihats. Love them, i had 15s in the 70s but when I went to buy new ones in the 80s all I could find were 14s, so I stuck with them. I had a couple china's but rarely used them. Actually I got a pstx 14 Swiss thin crash and it's probably my favorite cymbal and is also a cheaper alternative to a China even though when i ordered it I didn't know what to expect. But it's great. I have 4 different splashes, two are 2002, a 10 and 12 splash. The other are 10 zildjian over 30 years old and an 8 alpha thin splash.
At one time I had over twenty cymbals and used them all, but I sold my old set and some of the cymbals with it, and I only have 16 cymbals now set up with my 8 piece Tama Star Walnut set with matching snare. I got the two Tama mini tymps, 6 and 8 inch, so that brings the pieces of drums to 10 piece set. Using Evans hydraulic glass heads for the toms batter, my bass is a 20 x 18, that's the deepest 20 they offered, it's got a powerstoke3 batter and the fiber head reso. And not to forget the Tama Power Tower Racks.
I use pearl eliminator 3002c double pedal and a pearl h1050 hihat stand.
I have a Roland TM-2 and two pads also, and I found a used Roland TD-6 module I'll use for more pads.
I use promark 5a and zildjian red sticks, both are my primary sticks.
My set has been called a "monster".
It is pretty large, i order custom sizes toms and bass from Japan, and its probably one of a kind. Of course i don't take it out of the house. If i play anywhere i use house or someone else's drums with some of my cymbals, or I'll use my Roland set.
You can see my avatar is a Tama Star Walnut by the badge and finish of the wood.
I have been using 2002s since the 70s. I tried Sabian and returned them. I do have one zildjian 10 inch splash that's 30+ years and really surprised its not cracked, but like I said, I'm not a heavy player.
Also using a 16 inch 602 thin crash and a 17 inch Twenty thin crash. I might have overlooked something, but that's pretty much my set.
I guess it got confusing with the Big Beat Black label crashes, and red label 2002's?
The red labels are the continuation of the 2002 crashes. The Big Beat Blacks, are a different line that just came out a few years ago.
Btw, you have had some killer 2002's.
Anyway, the new 2002 Black label Big beats are very nice, especially the ride.
A bit darker than red label 2002's, with better stick definition (to my ear)
I believe the few years Paiste discontinued the 2002's in the 80's, they were replaced by the 3000's

fusseltier

Reaction score
I guess it got confusing with the Big Beat Black label crashes, and red label 2002's?
The red labels are the continuation of the 2002 crashes. The Big Beat Blacks, are a different line that just came out a few years ago.
Btw, you have had some killer 2002's.
Anyway, the new 2002 Black label Big beats are very nice, especially the ride.
A bit darker than red label 2002's, with better stick definition (to my ear)
I believe the few years Paiste discontinued the 2002's in the 80's, they were replaced by the 3000's
Yes, they discontinued the 2002s for a few years and brought out the 2000 series, and the 3000 series was the replacement for the 2002. They ended up dropping the 2000 & 3000 lines and brought the 2002s back because of popular demand.
I have 20 and 22 inch 2002 rides but I heard a 2000 20 power ride and was surprised how good it sounded.
Both the 2000 & 3000 were also pro lines.
The 2002s are such an icon, and so versatile, there would be a vacuum if they canceled them again. I have seen so many people on other sites forums say bad things about B8 cymbals, and I've tried some B8 from other brands, and I think (and others) think even though the 2002s are B8, they are great sounding and versatile. A lot of people say B20 are better, but I've also had some and tried some, and didn't think they were better than the B8 2002s. I think the people who think B8 aren't good, probably only heard Sabian B8 cymbals, which cannot compare to the 2002s (B8 ). Personally I've never liked anything from Sabian, I'd rather have Zildjian than Sabian. But the Meinl pure alloy I've heard sounded really good, i read somewhere they're B12.
I have a 16 inch 602 thin crash and it's a B20, and I think it sounds great, but the Twenty series crash which is also B20 I have, I don't really like the sound or how it plays, but I use it for certain spots in songs but rarely. My favorite crashes are my 13 & 15 inch 2002 crashes and my 14 inch pstx Swiss thin crash.
I had a 14 and 16 inch 2002 crashes but they just never fit right in anything I play, and I play over 2000 songs of many genre starting from the 50s til the present. So I got rid of them. I used to have a 16 and 18 medium, but I was stupid and got rid of them when I was young and regret it. I wish I had a 18 medium now, but unfortunately where I am now I can't get one and ordering one isn't practical unless I can find a used one so I don't get slammed by the duty.
I've had a lot of cymbals and drums.
I actually got the Ludwig set like Ringo played for $25 in the 80s and wish I'd kept it. But back then things were coming and going and couldn't keep everything. I was actually lucky that I managed to keep most of my cymbals over the years even when I didn't have drums, when I was moving here and there and couldn't have drums in an apartment. That's when I finally found an electronic drum set that actually felt good playing and got a Roland V-Drums set. I've had it for 16 years and it's still working perfectly. It's a 5 piece set with 2 crash and 1 ride, and I have a double pedal on it. Set up for maple toms and oak bass.
Anyway, i start rambling, sorry.
Yeah, I've been playing over 45 years and been and gone through a lot.
And lots of good stories too.

Last edited:

fusseltier

Reaction score
Here's my old black tama set from the 80s and 90s, then I had a red sonor with practically all of my cymbals set up with it, and I sold the sonor and got the tama star walnut and used a few less cymbals. I was really lucky to have a picture of my old black set. You can't see the drums in the star set, but I'm just trying to get a shot with the cymbals...

Attachments

Latest posts