Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hats - 14" or 15"?

tbird8450

Reaction score
Hi. Amateur drummer here who's finally getting back into the hobby after a long (15+) year break. I've been making some steady progress on updating my old beginner's Pearl Forum kit. After listening to many cymbals (and as a die-hard Bonham fan) I opted to go with all 2002s. I have a 16" medium, 18" and 20" crashes, and a 22" ride. I am absolutely thrilled with them, although I do somewhat miss the bell on my previous 20" Zildjian ZXT ride. I also opted to go with 14" hats. While they are a clear step above my former ZXT hats in pretty much every way, their overall sound signature is more similar to them than I was expecting. Perhaps this is as it should be, but I've been going back and forth over whether I might have been happier with 15s. Obviously Bonham used the larger hats, but I tend to prefer crisp, bright hats that can work well with jazz /funk in a pinch as well as with rock, and in my experience it's easier for 15s to sound clunkier and more subdued than I prefer. I've watched some videos of the 2002 SE hats in both sizes, and...I just can't make up my mind. Played well, the 15s do sound really sweet and quite a bit different than the 14s.

Has anyone spent time with both? If so, where did you end up, and why? Partially it may come down to which is more versatile...in other words, is it easier to get the 15s to sound like 14s, or vice versa? Or is there minimal overlap?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drum Center of Portsmouth has 2002 Prototype 14" hi hats for $259 and 15" for $279. I picked up the 15's a couple weeks ago and really don't sound any different than "regular" 2002's - they're amazing. They also have 14" Prototype Signature hats, there are sound file videos for all of these so your ears can make the decision. I think the 15" would be a little more versatile according to your description above.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is a discernable pitch difference between the two sizes as you have indicated. But which will work best for you is pretty subjective. I would suggest heading over to the Paiste site and use the product tool to toggle between the 14" and 15" 2002 HH's sound files. Link: Hi-Hats - Paiste

It may not be the most ideal way to demo hats/cymbals, but toggling between the 14" & 15" sounds will at least give you some tangible method of quickly & clearly hearing the differences between the two free of musical influences (the kit, the demo groove, etc.). If the 15's have peaked your interest and you plan to give them a try in the store, then I would suggest you bring your 14's with you as they will be your key reference (don't rely just on your memory). If you demo the HH's side-by-side live, you may simply find that one set of hats is fine for your needs or that one won't do it all for you and you take that second pair with you.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don’t like the 14” 2002 Sound Edge and I sold a pair I had bought because it was too high pitch. I’ve never tried the 15”s though. My choice would be the 14” Giant Beat hats.

These 15” 2002 Prototype Sound Edge Hats sound great. They’re cheap too!

Last edited:

moonbabie

Reaction score
may sound petty but the 15’s give me the added Inch so I’m not uncomfortable reaching for the hats...playing a double pedal pushes the hi hat stand further out Just enough to hinder me.15’s do the trick.

Burps

Reaction score
My Avatar votes for the 14".

I too love the 14" and 13" versions. I have never actually played a pair of 15s. But I do prefer medium to higher pitched cymbals/hi-hats overall. Personally, I think the 13"-15" 2002 SE's all sound fantastic in their own way. I think the choice should come down to how loud you want to get. The 15s have the potential to sound the biggest/loudest but lower pitched, while the smaller you go the pitch goes up and the volume goes down. IMO, the perfect middle ground is the 14".

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 15s and they were great.
But when I tried to get new ones I couldn't find any so I got 14s, and I use two sets of 14 inch sound edge hats.
Either way, you can't go wrong with either and I've been using Paiste 2002 since the 70s and never went back to zildjian bell crackers. Never had a Paiste crack.

Vicey

Reaction score
The 15" Giant Beat on top of a 2002se bottom is real special too, there's sounds I get from this combo that I cant from the all 2002 SE's.
I've used this combo as well. With some bands in some rooms, it's perfect.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Around 1988 I went from 14" hats to Paiste 15" heavy hats. I bought 2 pair. I tried the 2 bottoms together and havent looked back. My 2002 15" heavy bottom hats are crips , quick and work with ANY type of music. I simply change the sound with foot pressure.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends upon playing styles.
I prefer 13's and 14's because of the inertia factor.
Unlike ride and crash cymbals ,hi hats are moved via a mechanical rod.
You want quick punchy hi hat sizzles ,the smaller the better.
On bigger hi hats ,there is a noticeable lag when doing so.

WesChilton

Reaction score
Depends upon playing styles.
I prefer 13's and 14's because of the inertia factor.
Unlike ride and crash cymbals ,hi hats are moved via a mechanical rod.
You want quick punchy hi hat sizzles ,the smaller the better.
On bigger hi hats ,there is a noticeable lag when doing so.
You can overcome this by adjusting your hihat stand's spring tension. How well that works depends on the stand of course, but it usually works.

Tarkus

Reaction score
On most Hi-Hat stands you can also adjust the angle of the bottom cymbal.

Why do I mention this? Once, I wanted 2002 15 inch sound edge hi-hat. Looked for used ones, and didn't find something acceptable. What I found was a pair of used (and relatively cheap) Formula 602 15 inch sound edge, and I was happy. Asked myself why I didn't go earlier to 15 inch. Huge difference in rock music, they fit perfectly 'below' the guitar frequencies, making the whole band sound better. At least to my taste. And I realized this only after playing them in the band, not at stand-alone cymbal comparison.
Later on, I found a used 2002 15 inch without sound edge at bottom. Because everybody is looking for sound edge, they were quite cheap (even though they're more rare). I couldn't stand the bargain and bought them as spare hats, to leave in the rehearsal room. To my surprise, they sound really good, and the famous "sound egde tschhipp" is there, if the machine is adjusted right. Maybe it's my ears, but for me the difference is negligible.

Maybe something to look for, if money is an issue.

Last edited:

tbird8450

Reaction score
I was finally able to sit down and spend a good amount of time messing with the 14s today. I really, really like them. They are versatile, the feel is great, they can be super quick when it's called for, and I was able to coax some deeper tones out of them. That said, I went back and forth between them and Paiste's sound files for the 15s, and the larger ones do really have an appealing sweetness to them. I'm a little leary that I'd miss the extra bite, sparkle, and quickness of the 14s, though.

I'd also take a bit of a bath if I were to sell them off. That sort of seems like a waste since they are basically brand new. I wish a local store had the 15s in stock so I could try them in person, but alas, I can't find any in the area. I appreciate the feedback.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was finally able to sit down and spend a good amount of time messing with the 14s today. I really, really like them. They are versatile, the feel is great, they can be super quick when it's called for, and I was able to coax some deeper tones out of them. That said, I went back and forth between them and Paiste's sound files for the 15s, and the larger ones do really have an appealing sweetness to them. I'm a little leary that I'd miss the extra bite, sparkle, and quickness of the 14s, though.

I'd also take a bit of a bath if I were to sell them off. That sort of seems like a waste since they are basically brand new. I wish a local store had the 15s in stock so I could try them in person, but alas, I can't find any in the area. I appreciate the feedback.
Don't sell the 14"s!!! Hang on to 'em and when you get a little more flush, go get that pair of 15"s for the tonal variety, like you've got different size crashes.
I dig the 14"s with my kit. I've got a pair of 2002SE and 602-Extra Heavy but I've also wanted to get a 15" 2002 SE's.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and ordered up the 15s since I found a pretty good deal on some brand new ones. They should arrive in a few days and I'll report back with results. As nice as it would be have both, it's really not practical for me to keep a spare set of $400 hats laying around. Once I settle on a favorite and get them on the stand, let's face it, the chances of me swapping them around from there are going to be just slightly over nil.

Oh well, if you're in the market for some Sound Edges, keep your eyes open for some "like new" 14s or 15s soon. ;)