Paiste 22" Sound Creation Dark Ride

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Put it at 300$ and see where it goes No reserve..
That's the thing about musical instruments somewhere along the way they became commodities.
Sure since the 1920's- (or the 19th century) they had a 'price' (old Ks in 1941 Gretsch catalogs for 78$) but the inflation of that price due to unintended/intended/ internet chatter (since the communication dawn of dial-up 1998 _ has (had) us/people/everyone and their brother/ looking at them (musical instruments) as 'commodities.

So the price of that depends on how hot the "market" is for them at any given time.
In other words there's an emotional factor added in to the price of many musical instruments " Tony Ride, Bonham snare, Ringo snare and set, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. (Ludwig 1400 cymbal stands for cripes sake)

What one could do is find the retail price of that cymbal in the catalog of its year. Adjust it for inflation. Cut it in half because it's used. Then the emotional factors get rolled in; not made anymore, Paul Motian used one, etc etc etc etc etc. The guys that just may like them are priced out. In a way it's a fake price that someone will pay. (some) one or a few more being the operative word. What's it worth? 0$ to one guy 100$ to another 400$ to one 1000$ to another...
It depends on the emotional strength of the day you hit upon.
It's what has happened when emotion is added to musical tools
musical instruments as emotional purchases
commodities.

On another point you say to yourself- what do I have in this cymbal- how much do I have in this cymbal dollar wise. Above that is your call or the markets call. Not predictable or forcastable. Or trust statistical averages. Which may have (one minute ago) changed.

I wish sometimes we would not see musical instruments as 'money'..
Just get what you paid for them if you can,.

Last edited:

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im
Going to get a lot of backlash here but those sound creations are way over priced. I admire the workman ship of the cymbal though I personally think they could be great for metal and heavy loud music also . Very heavy weights for my liking. As far as your question gos if there’s no flea bites or key holing you will get some good coin because that cymbal has mojo !

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$475-$700

Depends on weight and condition.
I actually want another one.

Thats a nice weight.

Ive sold mine for $450 plus shipping up to $650....

If you are open to trades PM me?

I would trade $750 worth of my cymbals for it

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Im
Going to get a lot of backlash here but those sound creations are way over priced. I admire the workman ship of the cymbal though I personally think they could be great for metal and heavy loud music also . Very heavy weights for my liking. As far as your question gos if there’s no flea bites or key holing you will get some good coin because that cymbal has mojo !
Yes and no. They’re not cheap, but there isn’t anything quite like them, and other than the 22” Dark Rides and Dark Chinas they usually go for pretty reasonable prices. Especially compared to their closest current relatives, the Modern Essentials (which I have jokingly referred to as the “SC ‘Normal’ line”).

Every Sound Creation I’ve had was cheaper than buying that same size in a modern 2002.

dnel77

Reaction score
sheeet! i just bought a formula 602 dark ride for 600! absolutely love sound creations They arent just for loud music its all about your touch. However u have to learn how to play them! fantastic jazz cymbal!

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The videos that I've been able to find just now show this to be a very nice-sounding cymbal. I'm not a Paiste devotee, but I can certainly see (hear) the appeal in that cymbal.

Again, not a Paiste player so please excuse my lack of knowledge here - are the Sound Creation cymbals made from B20 alloy?

GeeDeeEmm

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
The videos that I've been able to find just now show this to be a very nice-sounding cymbal. I'm not a Paiste devotee, but I can certainly see (hear) the appeal in that cymbal.

Again, not a Paiste player so please excuse my lack of knowledge here - are the Sound Creation cymbals made from B20 alloy?

GeeDeeEmm
The Dark Rides can be very grumpy and clanky, but for the most part the line is an attempt to make cymbals with a very high volume ceiling that are as dark as something markedly lighter, with nowhere near the volume potential.

I feel most Paistes play lighter than their weight, but SC’s seem to try and take this to the extreme, but in a regimented and scientific way.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wished I had a steady gig playing jazz when I owned mine. I just didn’t feel comfortable taking it on everything, and I play mostly rock and blues and soul/New Orleans stuff. It would have worked, but really saw it as an Al Foster/Paul Motian jazz ride and would have gladly committed to it under those consistent circumstances.