Paiste 505 Cymbal

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going through some recently acquired drum items last weekend and in with some cheap stuff was a 20" Paiste 505 Ride cymbal. No serial number and most of the green ink has worn away on the top. It was pretty filthy, but I cleaned and polished some of the gunk and filth off. The bottom was surprisingly clean. I didn't know what to expect since I had never played this series before. I set it up with the 602's I have. It reminded me of the 2002's I used to have. I am not sure I will keep it since I have been getting into 602's, but it is a nice cymbal, for sure.

Does anyone here play the 505 series?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be a very early model to have no serial number stamped in it. I thought they all got stamped under the bell on the top side.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 505 20" ride and a 16" crash (green ink). Bought them new mid `80's I think.
They did sound very good to me.
Sold the ride. The crash I still have, but it is now a clock because it eventually cracked.

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 20” 505 ride a few years ago as a throw in on craigslist kit I bought. It was a pretty musical cymbal, but since I had a few rides already I sold it to my bass player for his home rehearsal and recording studio. I really liked playing it, so did some of the other drummers that passed through.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a full set of these, along with a full set of 404's. Paiste made the best "budget" cymbals by far. I still use a few of the crashes fairly regularly along with my 404 "ride" and Sound-Edge hi-hats.
I hope you're right!

I have a 22" 400 on the way because it really sounded quite special doing the jazz thing on YouTube. I had never given any thought to these numbered series before, but there B8 stuff is pretty special generally speaking and can often sound rather jazzy somehow.

While they are way cheaper than Masters, 602s, 2002s etc, there not exactly budget priced anymore, so I hope it sounds good when it arrives.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 505 series was incredible for the price.
Could it be time for Paiste to come out with a decent sounding, moderately priced series once again?

They're current lineup of cymbals are all very expensive.

tbird8450

Reaction score
They don't now? I picked up a PST 7 crash recently for no other reason than it was spot on to a tone I was after. It's probably 80% of the way to being as good as my 2002s, and was far less expensive.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't now? I picked up a PST 7 crash recently for no other reason than it was spot on to a tone I was after. It's probably 80% of the way to being as good as my 2002s, and was far less expensive.
But the PST line are beginner cymbals, for the most part anyway, kind of like Zidjian ZBTs.

I'm thinking more on the the line of intermediate cymbals. It seems they go from PST 7s and jump all the way to Signatures, Masters and 602s, which are some of the most expensive cymbals out there. Something akin to the 400, 404, 505, 802 would be nice.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Perhaps the "lesser" PSTs, but the 7 I have sounds fantastic, and I listed to others that were equally impressive. All of them are an obvious step up from something like a ZBT. One could be forgiven for thinking it was a 2002 if the labels were removed, even though if played back to back it's not quite there. From a purely pricing standpoint, I'd agree with you. The price jump from the PSTs up to 2002s and the rest is huge. The 7s are a crazy good bargain.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PST7 line is a good buy, no doubt. What I believe is even better is the 900S. I was at Explorers Drums in KC a few years ago. I was looking for a 602. They had a whole wall of Paiste's and plenty of the 900's. I tried a 22" 900 ride. I swear, it was beautiful. I could see it being used in a jazz/soft pop genre

tbird8450

Reaction score
Yup, the 900s are an excellent value as well.

To my ears they have a more genre-specific sound than the 7s do, so they probably aren't as well matched to as many musical styles, but definitely a good buy for many and nowhere near entry level quality, either.

Medium Size Dog

Reaction score
Got a used 505 20" crash over 30 years ago before I ever knew or cared what the numbers mean. I still don't care. It still sounds great. Only relevant issues are:
What does it sound like?
Do you like it?
Are you glad you got it, whatever it cost?

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a used 505 20" crash over 30 years ago before I ever knew or cared what the numbers mean. I still don't care. It still sounds great. Only relevant issues are:
What does it sound like?
Do you like it?
Are you glad you got it, whatever it cost?
That's a good approach.

I didn't have any real high expectations of it as I let it sent it my garage for a couple of months probably. I don't know when I picked it up. It was a pleasant surprise.