Paiste 602 Modern Essentials 24” ride - short review

blownaway

Reaction score
In the hunt for “the” right ride cymbal. So far I’ve tried..

2002 Big Beat 22”

2002 22” ride

2002 24” ride

Zildjian K 21” crash/ride

Signature traditional light ride 22”

Dark Energy 22” ride

Masters Dry Ride 22”

ME 22” Ride

After a strong recommendation from jtpaistegeist I decided to give the ME 24” ride a listen. I loved the 22” ME ride but I had to give the 24” a try before dropping my wallet.

This ride has everything I’m looking for - my search has ended.

Clarity (clean sound of 602 alloy)

Lower pitch – seems to sit nicely in the mix, doesn’t over ride other band members (rock setting)

Ping - distinct but not overdone, ping is a bit louder than the 22”

Crashability – not as crashable as some but when you open it up the tone is incredible. Deep and powerful! Blends well with the 18 & 20” ME crashes. Crashing on the bow is awesome, crashing on the edge is just “good”

Warm charactermoderately dark, smooth sound

Musical - complexity to the sound, enjoy the lower tone of the wash with the 24” even more than the 22”. My guitar player said immediately right after I played with the 24” over the weekend “I like that one” Why I asked, he said “It is a different pitch than my vocals”

Bell - great cut and mellow tone

Super versatile - works well with most/all styles of music

Controllable - even when laying into it, you can control the wash.

Disadvantages

Price (don’t know why it’s so much $ - Vinnie?)

Not as crashable as some (however much more crashable than the 24” 2002)

Heavy, and bigger bag

I really dig it. You might too!

Go big or go home!

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, beautiful!

Love those 602 ME rides and hats. Expensive for sure, but they really dialed in a nice balance between the dark/complex and clean/articulate with these babies for great versatility IMHO.

Enjoy that cymbal.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome Blownaway! Glad you are liking the 24", and great review of the cymbal. I know I love mine!

Bonzo442

Reaction score
I have the 602 classic med 24 ride which I think is a little higher pitched and a little more ping over the wash all depends on what your looking for. I liked both but chose the classic as it better fit my tastes. Wouldn’t mind adding the Modern Essential down the road.

blownaway

Reaction score
Hey. I'm sure I would also like the 602 classic med 24. Having only heard the ME, I didn't look any further.

Phantomlimb777

Reaction score
24” rides are great, I play a Masters Deep Ride. A very srtong stick, but the cymbal is mellow enough to make it not overbearing.

fishstix94

Reaction score
I've wanted to try this one. I've been playing a paiste 22" traditional light ride. I had the k 24" light ride before. And I'm kind of missing the big pie. I've been looking for this ME or the Masters thin 24". Unfortunately they are very expensive and I can't find one used.

R

RickP

I went with the 24” Paiste Masters Deep Ride over the 24” 602 Modern Essentials Ride. The Masters Deep Ride is very versatile like the 24” 602 ME. The combination of stick definition and wash on the Masters Deep Ride was more pleasing to my ear.

Latest posts