Paiste 602 opinions

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
Folks,

I'm going to be able to afford a new set of cymbals soon. I heard some of the 602's at Bentlys and really liked what I heard. I play mostly K's now, but I thought it would be nice to have a different set instead of augmenting what I already have. I like the glassy sound these have and that they are not too loud.

My questions are: Does the 602 line sound consistent? IE 2 identical rides would sound the same? Does anyone have experience with the new 602s?

I usually play 2 18" crashes and a 20" ride, Would getting 1 18" thin and another 18" medium make sense?

I ask all this because these pies are expensive, if I can get a ride and or crash used it would help keep the cost down a bit (maybe I could afford a china! as well)

Thanks!!!!

Dave

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've tried some 602s out and I think they generally sound great. Classic Paiste tones.

As for consistency? That all depends on your definition. They all sound like the 602 family in terms of that general characteristic, I'd say. But I don't know if two of the same model will always sound identical--nor SHOULD they.

We all hear differently. Those variations in timbre give us choices so as to find an exact sound we want. Sure, it takes a little time and work to find the sound you're looking for, but I would rather that cymbals NOT be so consistent. Cookie-cutter consistency would eliminate a lot of options that one might not like.

I think the idea of the necessity of consistency is a little overblown. The more important thing is that the family of cymbals--the specific line--maintains its character throughout, and I'd say the 602s do that.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a slightly different tone, try a 18" classic sounds thin crash and a 18" modern essentials crash.
Paiste cymbals are very consistent from cymbal to cymbal.

Reactions: tao

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
IME this is more correct:
charlesm said:
As for consistency? That all depends on your definition. They all sound like the 602 family in terms of that general characteristic, I'd say. But I don't know if two of the same model will always sound identical ...the family of cymbals--the specific line--maintains its character throughout, and I'd say the 602s do that.
Than this:
drumflyer said:
Paiste cymbals are very consistent from cymbal to cymbal.
I'm not picking on you drumflyer, just pointing out that as charlesm said, it is relative. If we put two Paiste 602 rides side by side, of the same model and similar weight, we will probably agree that they sound reasonably similar and that both have "that classic 602 sound"; but the two will not sound identical.

I recently went through several Sig Fast Crashes until I found the one that sounded best to me, and it was not at all difficult to hear differences between all of them. But yes, they did all sound like Sig Fast Crashes. :)

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i've heard/played these and i don't understand the love for these cymbals, esp at the unreal prices...$ 369-417 for an 18" crash? $420 for a 20 ride?

i'd much rather have a set of new A Zildjians or AA Sabians (esp maxwells handpicked ones) with money left over...alot of money...

anyway...carry on...

Doosh

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paiste is a made-in-Europe product with expensive labor and operational costs, and you have some amount of import duty on top of that. They make a very fine cymbal, but it's hard to imagine them selling at a price even competitive with Zildjian, and certainly nowhere close to the Chinese brands.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Paiste makes the Paistiest cymbals of any company out there - There is something about their QC process where any Paiste will sonically groove with any other, even from wildly different lines. A dozen 20" rides won't sound the same, necessarily, but they will sound related and go nicely in the same spot in your setup.

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Steve from Russo Music is blowing some 602s out at an insane price right now in the dealer section, jump on em while you can ;)

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 02 series from paiste is great, from 302-802. My friend has a 302 ride that sounds great for big band stuff. 20" thin with a massive bell and a deep washy sound like a 24".

As for consistency, all cymbals sound different. Try in person, buy at your own risk.

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buxom said:
The 02 series from paiste is great, from 302-802. My friend has a 302 ride that sounds great for big band stuff. 20" thin with a massive bell and a deep washy sound like a 24".

As for consistency, all cymbals sound different. Try in person, buy at your own risk.
These aren't the same as the 602s.

302s were entry-level and made from MS63, the 402s are made from NS12. The 502 and 802 are made out of B8, not B20 like the 602s. These cymbals were the precursors to the PST and Alpha line.

Buxom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I understand that, I was just saying my experience with paiste.

My $0.02 is that the whole 02 lineup is quality, be it modern or old.

troutstudio

Idealist
Reaction score
Paiste use a master reference cymbal for each series and adhere very closely to it. As reported, this makes them very similar, but not identical. This is essentially why they make so many series - that's their version of variation. If I were buying three, I'd think about the suggestion of a Modern Essentials 18" in there to mix it up. A friend of mine who is one of the busiest drummers in Oz plays one and he raves about them - plays everything from country to jazz on his set. Depends on your music though. Personally I'd also consider an 18" China Type and put a few rivets in it. That's a nice switch up. Not for loud music though. You can hear one at around 0:27 and 0:47 in this clip:

Last edited by a moderator:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
602s are one of the few cymbals I'm happy to buy without hearing the particular cymbal. So on the Zenstat measure of consistency they are at the top of the scale. And I would be happy to buy them used. In fact, all of my 602s are pre serials and were bought used without sound files. I have been in a drum shop and played the reissue ones and I found them to be just as reliable. I haven't ever met a Modern Essentials in person (I live at the end of the supply line).

Just so you know what other sorts of experience I have with cymbals, my collection includes a set of 1950s Avedis Zildjians, a set of UFiPs, an Old Stamp Istanbul K 18" crash, an 18" Skiba crash/ride, and the odd Bosphorus, Sabian, and Agop, and Dream. And the largest number I have from one supplier is: 5 rides, 1 pair of hats, and a crash from independent cymbalsmith Craig Luaritsen. Paiste would be second (I think without going and getting them all out). I'm a Cymbalholic, if it isn't obvious by now. :happy11:

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, this is all great info. Now all I have to do is get this recording project done! My weekend will be busy but better doing music stuff than yardwork..

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
1up2dn said:
i've heard/played these and i don't understand the love for these cymbals, esp at the unreal prices...$ 369-417 for an 18" crash? $420 for a 20 ride?

i'd much rather have a set of new A Zildjians or AA Sabians (esp maxwells handpicked ones) with money left over...alot of money...

anyway...carry on...
I heard the new A's at Bentlys. They sound very good. They are however much louder than the 602's. Yes, expensive. I have managed to find some good deals tho.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an old set of thin 602 hihat 14"s from the mid 1960s. Although they sounded quite good compared to the beginner cymbals they replaced, they had a huge problem. The upper cymbal could turn inside out/invert. I was wondering if anyone has ever had that happen. Admittedly the top cymbal was thin, but I was not a heavy hitter and this happened from the pedal action alone.

That said, I used to be a huge Zildjian fan for 30+ years. I've been a Paiste fan for 10 years now. I also like Bosphorus. If the 602s have corrected that inversion problem I would give Paiste the thumbs up. Admittedly, I haven't ever seen that problem since.

MatrixClaw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^My 602 SE hats don't do this, but I have a feeling they're a good bit heavier than your 60's hats.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
dwdave,

The 602s I've played have all been very consistent... much more so than anything in the same territory from Zildjian and Sabian. My problem with the 602s is I only really like the hats. The light hats have plenty of body and warmth, and are absolutely wonderful. All the rides and crashes I've played exhibited the super glassy "Paiste sound" - lots of glass and shimmer, not much body, not much trashiness or complexity. Not my thing. But, I'd happily grab a pair of 602 hats (regular or sound edge).

Edited to add: I'm talking about the classic 602 re-issues. The 602 Modern Essentials are a different thing altogether. I've played quite a few 602 ME rides. They feel much heavier under stick than classic 602s. Vinnie makes them sound great. I didn't like them at all for my own playing. They require too much work to get the sound out.

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
The Modern Essentials kinda feel like a reissue of a Sound Creation model that never existed. Like an SC "Normal" instead of a "Dark Crash" or "Bright Ride" etc.
The 22" China is pretty groovy. I wish they'd get real weird with it and give us some stuff to argue about and desperately try and buy on eBay 30 years from now - Modern Essentials 24" CRASH or 21" FLAT or 16" Sound Edge Light Hats.

Latest posts