Paiste 602

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
I've never had the chance to play a 602. I have signatures and some 3000's
Would you consider the 602 a "Jazz" cymbal. That's what I'm looking for. I'm satisfied with
my cymbals just thinking about trying a 602 and their getting pretty exspensive so before I take the plunge ..Wanted your advice. Probably want an 18 and a 20.
HELP

Bongo

R

RickP

They have become very expensive unfortunately-along with the Sound Creation ( also B20 alloy like the 602's) .They are for the most part lighter weight cymbals but pigeonholing them as strictly jazz cymbals does them a disservice as many well known Rock drummers also used 602's as well.They were Paiste's flagship cymbal line for a long time.Som of my favorites in the 602 line are the 22" and 18 " medium flat rides; the 22 " heavy flat ride.The 22 " and 20 " heavy rides, almost all of the crashes and the SoundEdge hihats.
Some favorites from the Sound Creation line are: 20 " and 22" Dark Rides;18 " New Dimensions medium dark ride;Dark heavy Sound Edge hihats.

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Rick
Thanks for imput. I would never pigeon-hole any cymbal. Just curious if They were suitable for
a Jazz set-up. Also am curious how they size up to the Signature rides. It's so difficult not being able to put a stick to them....I'd know after a few seconds if I was intrested or not.

Bongo

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have loved almost every 602 I've laid a stick to, and they're great for jazz. The premier example of the 602 sound that comes to mind is Joe Morello's playing on the Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out," particularly, of course, on "Take Five."

Paiste Sigs are a bit of a different animal. They're absolutely gorgeous pies, but the alloy and manufacturing differences are clear. Both have that great Paiste glassy shimmer, but the Signatures sound more "modern" to me, while 602s have more of a "vintage" vibe.

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the sound of Paiste Formula 602 cymbals can be summed up by the following two words: Crystal Clear.

I once had the opportunity (in the early seventies) to hear my 20" Medium Ride played while I stood at the back of a gig and you could hear every little nuance of the cymbal pattern without the wash ever once overpowering it. Very bright cymbals and I would say suitable for most music but maybe with the exception of Thrash Metal!! :wink:

I have a really nice 20" Medium Ride now that I don't play - gone the Old Istabul K and EAK route - so if anyone wants to make me a sensible offer...........

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Kerope
Their getting $300+ here in the states for them (20"'22") on E-bay. Not to say you might catch a lucky break on one but their "High Priced" If you just want to go out an get one. I snaged a pre-serial 18"ride for around $200 and I'm going to check it out. I like combo-ing up an 18 with a 20 or 22". I don't play any rock anymore, Little Blues, Mostly instrumental combos...Small rooms so an 18"
is a nice size for me. If I really like em...I 'll go bigger on the next one.
Thanks for reply

Bongo

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bongo

I've just the 18/20 thing with some Old Ks and I'mreally digging that combo for my Retro Jazz&Blues Quintet.

Thing is, I would really love a 22 Old K as well but they are really silly money at the moment. I'll keep my eyes peeled at the UK Drum Fair next month and maybe do a trade with the Paiste.

Actually, you may mistunderstood my post but, personally, I don't care for the "crystal clear" sound of Paiste any more, although I think they are superb cymbals. For my ears it is the dark old Ks. A sound that I don't can be replicated and I've tried most of the alternatives!

As the music becomes quieter, the drummer's choice of cymbals and personal touch, which are what identify his sound, become increasingly more important and individual.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they're what you're looking for, but my pre-serial 602 rides - specifically, the 22" and 24" ones - are damn near "grail" cymbals for me, and they're great for jazz. Both of those cost me over $300 apiece, but I'd make both purchases again in a heartbeat, ten times out of ten. Put another way: if I had to start selling off cymbals, they'd be the last two to go. (I've also got a heavier 20" PS 602 that I got for around $100, because of some very faint, short cracks around the center hole - but since I'm not planning on going all "Keith Moon" on it, I'm not worried about them.)

I don't know if it's their age, the patina, or if they simply were made differently, but my PS 602s don't have that same "crystalline" quality that I hear in later 602s. Mine are much more akin to old A's than later 602s, to my ears at least. I actually use a set of 15" New Beats with my larger 602 rides, and they all sound great together.

I have a sound file or two, somewhere, that I can dig up for you if you'd like.

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
I'm really anticipating the arrival of my first 602. Hope it lives up to my exspectations.
Regardless It's a small investment to learn and if I'm right on my research ...I'm in for a treat.
Kerope....Yes a drummers choice in cymbals is his signature. And I'm hoping to sign with a little more flair.

Bongo

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I don't care for 602s myself. I prefer the darker tones of the Sound Creations which are my favorite Paiste cymbals.

Cymbalist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cannons said:
The premier example of the 602 sound that comes to mind is Joe Morello's playing on the Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out," particularly, of course, on "Take Five."
Just to set the record straight, that was not a 602 but was in fact was a 20" A Zildjian Medium ride...Joe did not switch to 602s until some time later, when Ludwig became the US distributer for Paiste..

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Cymbalist (jim)
I figured that out with some internet seach. Take five was 60 or 61 and Joe started endorsment some time after. This forum is a fact check machine and a wealth of knowledge.

Bongo

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cymbalist said:
Cannons said:
The premier example of the 602 sound that comes to mind is Joe Morello's playing on the Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out," particularly, of course, on "Take Five."
Just to set the record straight, that was not a 602 but was in fact was a 20" A Zildjian Medium ride...Joe did not switch to 602s until some time later, when Ludwig became the US distributer for Paiste..
My bad. Sorry for the bad info.

TheCircus

Reaction score
I have a 22" 602 light ride that I recently got from a seller in Calgary for $175. An absolute killer deal and even killer-er sound. "Holy Grail" seems to be an appropriate title for it (even at the risk of blasphemy). I am even on the market now for a hard cymbal case for that cymbal alone.

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
I remember around 1983/84 I was in McCormacks music Store in Glasgow picking a pair of 13" 2000 sound reflections hats. Andy, the drum guy offered me a pair of 13" 602 Sound edgesfor less than i was paying for the 2000 SE's, he just could NOT sell.. I mean like they had, crashes, rides and hats all 602's that they could not sell..most drummers wanted the new ( at the time) 3000, 2000 or 1000's .. hard to believe now :eek:

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Ya Gezz
I'm one of those "Guys"....I bought some 3000..still have them. wish I Knew I was going to end up here..I'd of scarfed up several 602"s The only one of my 3000's I still play is an 18" ride.
Since I started this thread I've researched the B20 alloy quite a bite. (cymbalholics, Paiste unofficial site, etc.) One of my favorite ride cymbals is a Sabian HH Dry raw bell 21"...turns out that they too are B20 alloy. If the 602's have the stick definition of the Sabian..with a little more "Wash" I'll be exstremely Satisfied.

Bongo