Paiste 602

logosthedestroyer

Reaction score
Hi, and hello to everyone. I had a 602 18" flat ride that was quite nice in some jazz settings I used it for, but the best application of 602s I have heard have been in the studio, thinking in particular about Jeff Porcaro's hats and rides. Personally for jazz I find Istanbul hard to beat, especially the older green label ones, and this is what I traded the 602 for.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
kerope said:
personally, I don't care for the "crystal clear" sound of Paiste any more, although I think they are superb cymbals....As the music becomes quieter, the drummer's choice of cymbals and personal touch, which are what identify his sound, become increasingly more important and individual.
My thoughts exactly, Al.
I played the backline kit at a Blues festival last night, the ride was a 20" PS 602.
It sounded okay, but I noticed the bright wash often overpowered the stick definition out front.
I threw up my 20" Mehmet Turk for a dryer, more defined stick sound in the overheads.
But that 602 would probably sound fine in a more intimate (unmiced) setting.

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Steven
I'm taking a "Leap of Faith"....I may find 602's are no big deal. End of story. I'm sure can't afford vintage K's...and I "Think" I like B20 alloys sound. Going to give em a fly. My Use will be in more researved and intimate suroundings so I hope it will be just the right sound I'm looking for.
What this world needs is a Cymbal petting Zoo. where you can give them a whirl without having to spend money in advance. Even if you return you still have shipping to eat twice.
I could go to chicago and hit a few shops . I miss Detroit and all the good Drum shops and pawn shops to search.

Bongo

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
Well the 602 pre-serial 18" ride finally showed up yesterday. I compared it to the Paiste 3000 that I wanted it to replace. 602 is definately more managable in the "Wash" dept. It allows me to swich out my 20" ride to something a little brighter. My first impression was less than estatic...but I played it again today for an hour and I'm starting to really get a feel for it and I think it will definately grow on me.
I'm playing it on my 18"Bass,12Rack, 14 FT kit. Low volume Jazz Kit. I'm using a first generation Paiste Sig...20" Mellow ride , the 18" 602 and a Paiste 14 &16 fast crash...Sound edge HH's.Artist snare. I'm a Happy Camper
Thanks for all the Advice...I think I made the right decision.

Bongo

katfish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When I picked up my '66 Super Classics last year, they came with pre-serial Paiste 602's. Talk about luck! They're great cymbals and I wouldn't sell them.

18" medium ride
16" thin crash
14" hats

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bongojimi said:
My first impression was less than estatic...but I played it again today for an hour and I'm starting to really get a feel for it and I think it will definately grow on me.

I'm far from the world's expert on pre-serial 602s - my experience is limited to the three rides I've got, all of which I've bought in the last 15 months or so. That having been said, with all three rides I found that they didn't have too much of that "instant ooh" factor when I first played them, to my ears at least. Definitely, I could hear that they were nice cymbals, but it wasn't until I got to know them a bit - and especially, until I got to hear them in context, that I started to really appreciate them.

kerope

DFO Master
Reaction score
James Walker said:
bongojimi said:
My first impression was less than estatic...but I played it again today for an hour and I'm starting to really get a feel for it and I think it will definately grow on me.

I'm far from the world's expert on pre-serial 602s - my experience is limited to the three rides I've got, all of which I've bought in the last 15 months or so. That having been said, with all three rides I found that they didn't have too much of that "instant ooh" factor when I first played them, to my ears at least. Definitely, I could hear that they were nice cymbals, but it wasnt' until I got to know them a bit - and especially, until I got to hear them in context, that I started to really appreciate them.

I'm with you two giys on this one! I have found that my ears aren't always on form when it comes to first playing a cymbal. I need to get to know the cymbal to become fully appreciative of what sounds can be produced.

Incidentally, what sticks are you guys favouring for this type of ride in, say, a jazz situation? I have come across a couple of old Premier E sticks, which I am thinking are hickory. Very slender taper and a light stick with an elongated acorn. But they sound tremendous for playing jazz. Up to now I was using a cutomised VF SD4 in Maple.

Drumstyx7a

Team DFO
Reaction score
Jimi,

Glad you like the 18 ... I have one and it's alongside a 20 from the same year. In fact they were purchased only 2 days apart. When I first got the 18 brand new from the store it worked great as a ride but just didn't cut across the high school stage band like I wanted it to. I asked for and got a 20 2 days later and it was the perfect cymbal. I put the 18 up as a crash ride and it's served that purpose since 1970. They don't go out on big band gigs anymore but they find steady work as a pair alongside the matched 14" 602 HHs also purchased with the original 18.

With the set up you mentioned I think you'll have a truly cool sound.

Robb

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
katfish said:
When I picked up my '66 Super Classics last year, they came with pre-serial Paiste 602's. Talk about luck! They're great cymbals and I wouldn't sell them.

18" medium ride
16" thin crash
14" hats

I picked up a 1968 super classic Ludwig and it came with a 20 and an 18 paiste 602. The 20 seems kind of heavy to me and it has a crack about one inch long that someone drilled out. The cymbal still sounds good but that crack pretty much takes the value away. :( At least the 18 is ok and the set is absolutlely gorgeous!