header.nohb.html

Paiste 900 colour sound

Vazer

Reaction score
Hi, can you tell me your opinions about this series?
Are they good cymbals? Do they sound good ?
Thanks

Rivot

Reaction score
Yeh they do sound nice especially the hihats but no were as good as the 2002s.

spazapproved

Reaction score
They sound fine... a little to heavy for my liking and taste. I really wanted the red ones but for me to thick.

I guess what type of music do you play? If you play hard rock they are great for that!

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
IMO....they're an intermediate quality cymbal aimed at satisfying those who want an affordable color coated cymbal. In the past paiste made super high end colorsounds in the CS5 and 2OOO colorsound that were truly professional level. Unless you custom order a top level cymbal with a color coating paiste doesn't offer any standard top end professional colorsounds as a standard offering outside of the bluebell, psychtopus, and monad rides.

2oo2

Reaction score
They are just for show, unless you have a very specific purpose like a video production or live performance where visuals matter, there’s no point in getting them for the sound (basically you could get the same effect by using cheap heavy B8 cymbals and tightening the nut pretty hard, or putting some mufflers). On the other hand once the coat starts to chip away all looks will be gone and you’ll be just left with a clanger.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My local shop has a 14” pair of 900 Coloursond Heavy model hihats that really impressed me by their sound . Really nice sounding hats .

I have found the crashes are better sounding in 18” and larger diameter . The smaller ones sound awful .
The rides are pretty decent sounding too .

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
The coating dries out the cymbals. Overall, the 900s are good cymbals without the coating. I'd also consider PST7 & PST8 as excellent intermediate lines that perform above their price point.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think Paiste makes a poor sounding cymbal. On occasion they may seem to bright while playing them, but they all seem to record excellent

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a large set of the heavy models that I use on an arena rock cover band gig. They sound great! Lots of the 2002 flavor with a quicker decay. The 22” heavy ride sounds very, very close to my 22” 2002 power ride. I’d had a small set of older Colorsound 2000/Colorsound 5 about 15 years ago and the newer 900’s sound much better. The 900’s are noticeably more lively, especially the hats since they only apply the color coating to the top of each hat. The 18” china is also one of my favorites out of the dozen or so chinas I have.

Cannons

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a full set: 14” Sound Edge hi-hats, 18” crash, 18” Rude Wild crash, 18” china, and 20” ride. While they have a bit less sustain than I like, they sound pretty good. The Sound Edges and china are the best of the bunch.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Had a full set in natural finish, including SE hi hats. Thought they sounded....ok. played them out once, disliked them, and sold them. The hats were great, though. I later saw JR Robinson with a pair. The other cymbals sounded clangy and unmusical to me.

Dan

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hats sound good, Crashes are average. Don’t buy any smaller than 17”. The bigger the crash, the better they sound. Rides are good. China is average. Splashes are good. Best thing about them is how they look.

UnclePaul

Reaction score
IMO....they're an intermediate quality cymbal aimed at satisfying those who want an affordable color coated cymbal. In the past paiste made super high end colorsounds in the CS5 and 2OOO colorsound that were truly professional level. Unless you custom order a top level cymbal with a color coating paiste doesn't offer any standard top end professional colorsounds as a standard offering outside of the bluebell, psychtopus, and monad rides.
Been looking for a colorsound 5 Splash for a loooong time.

Vazer

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
I’ve tried the 14” heavy hats and they sound excellent, they don’t sound like intermediate cymbals
They sound like pro IMO