Paiste Bell Ride

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the 22” Reflector Bell Ride (Nicko McBrain signature ride). Anyone have one of these? Thoughts?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Signature Bell Ride years and years ago (mid to late 90s). I honestly did not like it. Way too heavy and just a lot of highs with not much in the mids and lows. Your mileage may vary. Just my take on it.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
^ I’m mainly a Zildjian guy, but I like Paiste as well. Check it out for sure! It’s the Stewart Copeland design. Doug Clifford currently uses it as well. When it comes to a ping, I don’t think they come any better.

bubo

Reaction score
Thinking of pulling the trigger on the 22” Reflector Bell Ride (Nicko McBrain signature ride). Anyone have one of these? Thoughts?
What makes you think of getting this very cymbal, what do you expect of it?

As for the Signature i can say it´s not very versatile, it´s usefull for just 2 styles imo: very loud sound and even louder than very loud sound...

This does not mean it ain´t nice. I played one for many years to drive punkrock and hardcore bands live and like it very much, (bandmates and sound-engineers don´t, though) XD
but you need to "treat" it, means if you just want to go for that "ping" (typical for Nico McBrain´s playing with Iron Maiden) i find it bit, well, -boring (the ping, not Nicko of course).
(currently back to a 20" 2002 Heavy Ride because playing smaller venues)

But you can get that kind of wash out of it if played not necessarily harder but use the shaft every now and then, and still the ping does not get lost inbetween.
For example if you want to accent your bassdrum pattern at some notes.

The main reason i bought mine some years ago was...
I played the "real" Sound Creation Bell Ride for years, live as well as for recordings and this one is a total different story.
The trouble was that i broke 3 of them during the years while playing live, well really broke 1, another got dropped i guess and another one well, guitar player fall over it and hit it with his guitar ...
So since them 22" Sound Creations getting more rare i needed an alternative and the Signature fitted in somewhat.
Still got 2 Sound Creation but using them for recordings only nowadays.

For the versatilty the 22" Sound Creations are beauties and beasts, since they got a wider frequency range allover. Not only if "treated" but also if played with lighter sticks and force they come up much better than the Signature.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
What makes you think of getting this very cymbal, what do you expect of it?

As for the Signature i can say it´s not very versatile, it´s usefull for just 2 styles imo: very loud sound and even louder than very loud sound...

This does not mean it ain´t nice. I played one for many years to drive punkrock and hardcore bands live and like it very much, (bandmates and sound-engineers don´t, though) XD
but you need to "treat" it, means if you just want to go for that "ping" (typical for Nico McBrain´s playing with Iron Maiden) i find it bit, well, -boring (the ping, not Nicko of course).
(currently back to a 20" 2002 Heavy Ride because playing smaller venues)

But you can get that kind of wash out of it if played not necessarily harder but use the shaft every now and then, and still the ping does not get lost inbetween.
For example if you want to accent your bassdrum pattern at some notes.

The main reason i bought mine some years ago was...
I played the "real" Sound Creation Bell Ride for years, live as well as for recordings and this one is a total different story.
The trouble was that i broke 3 of them during the years while playing live, well really broke 1, another got dropped i guess and another one well, guitar player fall over it and hit it with his guitar ...
So since them 22" Sound Creations getting more rare i needed an alternative and the Signature fitted in somewhat.
Still got 2 Sound Creation but using them for recordings only nowadays.

For the versatilty the 22" Sound Creations are beauties and beasts, since they got a wider frequency range allover. Not only if "treated" but also if played with lighter sticks and force they come up much better than the Signature.
I like the "ping" - the bell is spectacular. I also love the fact that although it has a lot of wash, it still maintains the articulation. You are right - it is loud. The music I play isn't that loud that it calls for this cymbal all the time. However, I also have a Masters Medium Ride and a Masters Dry Ride, so my contrasts are there. I just like the cymbal. I know what I'm getting into I suppose, but is it really so one dimensional that it's unplayable in less "loud" situations?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a Paiste 3000 22 inch ride, with a mega bell. Mcjinic could be describing the 3000. If you like a lot of bell, but not much more, it's perfect.
I also have a 22 inch Sig Blue bell. I only played it once, as I just wanted to hear it. It was sold to me used, but never played. Being a huge Copeland fan, I had to hear it. Now if you don't like wash, but great stick definition, and great bell, that's a hell of a rideI had a lot of fun playing it, but it wouldn't be my 1st choice for a ride, I can see it as a #1 ride for many drummers, and situations

bubo

Reaction score
I like the "ping" - the bell is spectacular. I also love the fact that although it has a lot of wash, it still maintains the articulation.
If you are for the ping -go for it!

I just like the cymbal. I know what I'm getting into I suppose, but is it really so one dimensional that it's unplayable in less "loud" situations?
No, i did not mean unplayble in lower volume situations in general, might me my personal taste more than objective measurement.
I personally prefer more wash and less articulated ping in that kinda music i play in medium volumes, and i know from expierience this very cymbal needs some extra pounds to wash-up, thus be louder.

I just fear it could sound quite different from a certain distance other than right beside you.
If you have the chance to try it at any store, ask someone else to play and move around up and down where the audience would usually hang around.
Playing back some music while playing could be another important indication.
Also make sure you take your rides for a direct comparison as you never know the accoustic situation at a different room.

Well, that should be a general process in selecting any cymbal, as long as you don´t know excatly what you might get or not sure if one would be the right one for your needs.

cheers,
herman

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have played these ride and tested them a few times, and since I have the luxury of having a couple other very different rides, this one remains a strong possibility to add to the arsenal. As for the Blue Bell, I think the Reflector Bell has the edge - at least for me.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Well, I have sold some little-used gear, saved money from a few gigs, scrimped and saved for a few months - and today visited DCP for a few hours of cymbal shopping and comparing. I settled on the Nicko bell ride, and also picked up the masters swish. I’ll focus on the Bell Ride here...

It’s a beautiful cymbal. Yes, it can be loud, but it is so musical. The ping isn’t abrasive and clangy at all. It holds its note well and does not wash out if you play it softly. It’s definitely a rock cymbal and that’s where it will be most utilized, but I don’t think it’s one dimensional at all. It’s the bell that really won me over on this one. I played it up against my giant beats, and I like the contrast, and the blend. I spent a while comparing it, it I knew as soon as I heard the bell it was coming home with me.
AAA7606D-58CE-4ED1-B012-F969BBDCBBA5.jpeg

michiganice91

Reaction score
Congrats. You might like to try the Sound Creation Bell Ride as well seeing as the alloy is a little more premium and the sound is too. Might change your preference, never know.

Latest posts