Paiste Blue Bell Ride

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got this used a few years ago and just cleaned it for the first time. It’s probably not a cymbal you’d want to bring to a jazz gig haha but it’s unique and is the prettiest cymbal I own. Does anyone else out there own one?
CD5DE4D6-F3B9-4A7E-B874-4FBAFDE2667C.jpeg

Mcdonap

Reaction score
I have one that I picked up a few months ago.
I'm really not in love with it. It sounded like exactly what I was looking for when I was listening to samples, but it doesn't really thrill me in real life. (The samples were accurate, though.)
I'll have to put it on the stand and see how I feel about it today.

Latdrummer

Reaction score
I own its older brother, the 22” Dry Dark Ride, I got it off Craigslist about 10 years ago for what I consider a steal! (like $220 at the time). The cymbal has a very clear ping and narrow freq. range, and the bell is to die for. But it’s a very specific sound, not versatile at all (besides the M F is extremely loud) so I rarely play it, now it rests in a case more like a “garage queen” waiting for the right opportunity to shine. I think your Blue Bell Ride has a similar character, would love to know the weight (mine is 3546 g).

E0109FC1-5C9B-45E7-9556-28C81BFF4DBE.jpeg

Mcdonap

Reaction score
I own its older brother, the 22” Dry Dark Ride, I got it off Craigslist about 10 years ago for what I consider a steal! (like $220 at the time). The cymbal has a very clear ping and narrow freq. range, and the bell is to die for. But it’s a very specific sound, not versatile at all (besides the M F is extremely loud) so I rarely play it, now it rests in a case more like a “garage queen” waiting for the right opportunity to shine. I think your Blue Bell Ride has a similar character, would love to know the weight (mine is 3546 g).
I think you've described the Blue Bell very well. I'll try to weigh mine later and see - it does feel pretty heavy. I haven't played it out, but it doesn't seem too loud to me - at least behind the kit.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 538049
I just weighed it and mine is 3522 grams. Yeah this bluebell ride stays in the case most of the time. But I thought I’d bring it out and not only clean it but try to get a good use out of it. I was thinking about doing some police covers with it. I also have the rhythmatist hihats which go well with this ride. After all, it is what Stewart Copeland used on the reunion tour pretty much. And I have a few other signature cymbals that he used so I’m thinking I ought to do some police songs.

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 20" Dry Dark and would love to get hold of a 22. The bell is great: I assume the bell on the Stewart ride is similarly cutting and musical.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have one as well. Like many Paiste rides it doesn't sound great behind the kit. When I hear it recorded It's hard to believe that was the same ride I just didn't really care for

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the 20" Dry Dark and would love to get hold of a 22. The bell is great: I assume the bell on the Stewart ride is similarly cutting and musical.
I have the 21 Dark Dry. The 21 is much more cutting than the Blue Bell, and drier

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 21 Dark Dry. The 21 is much more cutting than the Blue Bell, and drier
Is this the Masters Dry Dark rather than the Signature? I've never seen the Sig Dry Dark in 21.

Mcdonap

Reaction score
I have one as well. Like many Paiste rides it doesn't sound great behind the kit. When I hear it recorded It's hard to believe that was the same ride I just didn't really care for
It's interesting that you feel that way. I always played Zildjian until fairly recently, and I feel like Paiste sounds much more pleasing behind the kit.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have owned two of these, and could not get along with it. I could never get those Stewart Copeland bell sounds from it. They sure are purty, however.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's interesting that you feel that way. I always played Zildjian until fairly recently, and I feel like Paiste sounds much more pleasing behind the kit.
Yeah. I hear that a lot. Some don't like the sound behind the kit, and others do. The common factor is everyone (well can't say everyone), but most love the sound recorded. I do like the GB 24 as a crash, or a ride a lot, and think it works in just about all situations

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is this the Masters Dry Dark rather than the Signature? I've never seen the Sig Dry Dark in 21.
It's the Signature 21. I feel that gives that Copeland sound even more than the Blue Bell. Someone stated they didn't feel the Blur Bell didn't do it for them. I tend to agree

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's the Signature 21. I feel that gives that Copeland sound even more than the Blue Bell. Someone stated they didn't feel the Blur Bell didn't do it for them. I tend to agree
I bought this exact 21 Jack dejohnette ride from MDS. It’s a beast. Super dry and heavier than any ride I’ve ever had at 3914 grams. I think it belonged to Jack himself because when I bought it they had advertised that they had gotten a bunch of cymbals in owned by him.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought this exact 21 Jack dejohnette ride from MDS. It’s a beast. Super dry and heavier than any ride I’ve ever had at 3914 grams. I think it belonged to Jack himself because when I bought it they had advertised that they had gotten a bunch of cymbals in owned by him.
That would be awesome if he actually owned it. I wish I knew of a wat to verify? I'm going check youtube for a sound file. Yeah the 21 Dark Heavy is not for crashing. While playing that one I hear a wash, but not recorded. I really like that ride, although I don't see them for sale too often

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That would be awesome if he actually owned it. I wish I knew of a wat to verify? I'm going check youtube for a sound file. Yeah the 21 Dark Heavy is not for crashing. While playing that one I hear a wash, but not recorded. I really like that ride, although I don't see them for sale too often

Wasn’t the story behind the original DeJohnette series was that he had an Earth ride and wanted to extend that through a series of cymbals? I always wanted one of the original rides. Though my Paiste extra dry ride may require an original DeJohnette crash. That may pair well.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s probably not a cymbal you’d want to bring to a jazz gig haha but it’s unique and is the prettiest cymbal I own.
Depends on the jazz gig. :)

Love how it sounds in this clip.
IIRC Ralph used to play a Sig Dry Dark before he got the Blue Bell. I tried one once and found it was a bit of a one trick pony - but that one trick is superb.

Christopher

Reaction score
I have one. Love it for what it is. A big dry, pingy, glassy, beast of a ride with a killer bell. It’s not a jack of all trades cymbal, for sure. But, if what it does fits a song, it works great.

I used mine on the song below that we recorded a couple years back. The choruses needed a clear bell sound and it came through in spades.

Have a listen to hear it in action.