Paiste crashes, Dark Energy and Signature, which sizes?

Quai34

Reaction score
I have Dark Energy crash 15" (16" crash cut professionally) and a sound formula frankenstein logo 16" that was said to be almost the signature sound at that time.
I want to complete my Paiste set up, I know I will buy a Dark Energy ride 22" mk1 and maybe a 14" or 15" Hihat, same, dark energy. I less I find a master or signature light at a very good price...But for the crashes??
I listend to a lot of video but cannot decide.
For 2 cymbals, Which size would you pick in each line and why? Would you even pick one size in the Dark Energy and the other in the signature line? If yes, why?

mjohnson12

Reaction score
I just ordered a Dark Energy mk1 ride and my plan is to eventually purchase an 18" full crash and 19" dark energy crash and 15" dark energy hats.
After listening to a lot of cymbal videos I really like the 18" full crash sound and I enjoy having one bright crash and one dark-ish crash.
I also listened to multiple videos of the 19" dark energy crash and I also like the sound of it together with the full crash.
If you look up the 19" dark energy on Sweetwater they have a video where both the 18" full and the 19" dark energy are played in the same video.

I've always owned Zildjian and had one A crash and one K and enjoyed that setup so I'm looking for a similar setup in Paiste.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Paiste Sig Mellow Crash goes very well with the DE Crashes, so does the ME 602 Crash.

Quai34

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys so, between the signature mellow crash and full crash, the highest pitch is the full crash right? So, having already a 15" Dar Energy and a sound formula in 16, that would make sense if I get a DE in 19 and a signature in 18, yes, good ideas, thanks again.

Last edited:

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
I just ordered a Dark Energy mk1 ride and my plan is to eventually purchase an 18" full crash and 19" dark energy crash and 15" dark energy hats.
After listening to a lot of cymbal videos I really like the 18" full crash sound and I enjoy having one bright crash and one dark-ish crash.
I also listened to multiple videos of the 19" dark energy crash and I also like the sound of it together with the full crash.
If you look up the 19" dark energy on Sweetwater they have a video where both the 18" full and the 19" dark energy are played in the same video.

I've always owned Zildjian and had one A crash and one K and enjoyed that setup so I'm looking for a similar setup in Paiste.

Here is another vid of dark energy 19 paired with 18 fast(go to 1:30 where he plays both) I have both 18 fast and 18 full and the tone is pretty much the same( full is just louder with much longer sustain) I currently don't use the full but I keep it as a backup incase I ever break the fast. They are really great sounding.

Anthony84

Reaction score
Don’t have any experience with the dark energy series, but I have a signature 18” full crash and it’s the most well rounded musical standard of a cymbal I have for all applications (recording/live). Unrelated, I have the signature 14” sound edge hi hats. They’re heavy and loud, and bright. I much prefer the 2002 series. Maybe one day I’ll try the dark energy series.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
17" DE

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I can't speak for the 15" DE Hats, played the 14" and they sounded great, so I'm sure the 15" are outstanding as well. As far as the 18" Sig Full and 19" DE, they are special cymbals. I own the 18" Sig Full and it's glassy and transparent. My buddy and I were in the shop and I hit the 19" Dark Energy. My buddy said "It sounds like a 2002 fu(ked a K Zildjian." It really has that glassy Paiste crash sound, but also a complexity that the 2002 or Sig Crash doesn't have.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have Dark Energy crashes in 17" and 19" - I really like them in general and use them often.

I recently picked up Signature Full crashes in 17" and 19" my first real extended dive into the Signature line along with a (to me, glorious) 22" Signature Mellow ride.

Side by side, simply distinctly different creatures. The Signature crashes have loads of shimmer and brilliance. Size for size, the Sig are tonally higher in pitch compared to the DE. The DE crashes feel better to me as far as being a bit less stiff - not night and day though. The Dark Energy crashes sit in a frequency range that make them seem almost muted in comparison to the Sigs, but in reality they are very full-sounding and just sit lower in pitch overall (also easier on the bare ears for me).

The Masters Dark crashes are still my favorite crashes overall. I have the 602 ME crashes and find them too heavy - if they ever made some thin 602 ME crashes, they might be perfection as the hats and rides are lovely.

Quai34

Reaction score
So, the new signature Dark Energy is on the drums kit, right of it. On its left, you have the sound formula 16" Frankenstein logo, they seem to go well but remember, the sound formula is the Cymbal that has a hummm underNeath its usual spread in sounds and I might replace it....I was thinking that the signature full crash would be a good complement to it, most of you said so but some proposed the Same DE, but in 17".
On the far right of the to Paiste, there is the Meinl ultra light hammered 20", and under them, you have the Sabian AAX Raw Bell Dry ride and the Zildjian ACustom Sweet ride 23", 25th anniversary, just to give you an idea of what sound they are surrounded with.
So, anyone with another info/recommandations on top of what has already been said?
Thanks