Paiste cymbals - would you recommend?

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Hi fellow drummers.
With Paiste re-releasing Formula 602 cymbals, I'm very curious to acquire some, as I once owned a beautiful 70's era 22" 602 medium ride which I stupidly sold many years ago.
My current set-up is all Zildjian, 22" A medium ride, 18 and 19" A medium thin crashes and 14" K/Z hats (although I usually use a K mastersound bottom these days) and occasionally a 20" A china boy high. Am very happy with these, both in terms of sound and durability (I do find I crack a crash every several years or so though - I mainly play in quite loud bands, and do crash with a sideways glancing blow as opposed to a front on whack, but still have the odd breakage).
Anyway, I play in different bands in cities 600km apart, and to save on excess baggage charges or a very long drive, I want a 2nd set of cymbals, so my question is:

-Are Paiste cymbals durable - noting they're very expensive?

Having had a look at Paiste website, am thinking 602 or 2002 mediums as crashes, aforementioned 22" 602 medium ride, and 13 or 14" dark crisp hats, and the 20" 2002 china really impresses.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on Paiste cymbals!!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Some 602s in the old days or if you inspect preserials today..I notice edge nicks are more prone to develop into an inward moving crack than say a comparable Zildjian.
So I think the old 602 were more vulnerable to an edge nick developing into a crack.
I have 9 that is exactly what occurred with them. next. So be careful with your edges

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Some 602s in the old days or if you inspect preserials today..I notice edge nicks are more prone to develop into an inward moving crack than say a comparable Zildjian.
So I think the old 602 were more vulnerable to an edge nick developing into a crack.
I have 9 that is exactly what occurred with them. next. So be careful with your edges
Thanks for reply. Hmm. Food for thought! So maybe avoid 2nd hand or pre-serials!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
do what you like was just relaying what I see on 9 used I bought- 7 were - I bought- cracked- I could see where/how/ the crack developed

That was ^ -frankly I can only speculate htf that happened but at least it was a clean break

See the nick/cracks around 1'o clock in the se bottom. There's a nick at the start of each the three fissures. So 'nicks' weakened some old 602

It wasn't like drummers "hurt them" with their sticks. More in the handling before and after the gig (lol

Last edited:

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The new Paiste 602s are simply luscious cymbals. I want two of every model made...seriously! Now that they are making the 17" thin crashes and 19" thin crashes, along with the Heavy Hats and 15" Sound Edge hats... I am seriously wanting to cash in my kids college funds (not really!) to buy them all. They are just so easy on the ears...they shimmer beautifully without any harsh overtones. The greatest line of cymbals of all time, IMHO.

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
The new Paiste 602s are simply luscious cymbals. I want two of every model made...seriously! Now that they are making the 17" thin crashes and 19" thin crashes, along with the Heavy Hats and 15" Sound Edge hats... I am seriously wanting to cash in my kids college funds (not really!) to buy them all. They are just so easy on the ears...they shimmer beautifully without any harsh overtones. The greatest line of cymbals of all time, IMHO.
Thanks. Yes from the ones I've heard or had the opportunity to check out Paiste's in general seem to have a `glassier' sound than Zildjians (which are all I know tbh - hence why I'm keen to go down a different path), but the 602's seem like they have a bit more `balls' (i.e. depth, a bit more low-end, or something!) than say the signatures?

J

jaymandude

People's thoughts ? I never NEVER thought I would play Paiste. I'm not a B8 fan, there's only a few 2002 models I like ( 22" Ride might be it) and the Signature alloy is terribly and obniouxously bright and abrasive.

BUT ... over the past few years I have been building a set of reissue 602's and Masters. I compared a friend's re-isuue 602's to some Zildjian and Sabian I had and I liked the smoothness to the sound and how they always sounded like a set, no matter what I chose. I've found I have to be extremely selective in what I choose, for the most part they're all large cymbals. 20's, 21's and 22's. Nothing under a 19. Even a 18" 602 sounds like a big splash to me. But the big upside is that the blend between the cymbals is just superb. The pitch distinctions and decay are balanced. They sound like a set of cymbals,not just different things mished and mashed.

I will admit that I have some Zildjian;s that on their own, individually, I prefer. But holy moly. Finding a set of Zildjian that go together like the Paiste's ? That's a lifetime of searching..

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I spent quite a few years playing Paiste, but we parted ways almost twenty years ago.
I have VERY recently gotten back into the Paiste world.
I picked up several sets (thanks in part to some very cool members here).
Masters, Formula 602 Modern Essential, Signature Dark Energy, Twenty Lights/Thins, Signatures, 2002 ...
Shocked me, but my favorite line ... Signature Dark Energy.
They are extremely responsive and have a dark and dirty shimmer ... wildly innovative.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
I STILL have the 70's 22" 602 ride I got used in 1980.
I use it until around 1993 and "retired it" because they no longer made the 602's.
I have to say that 602 basically "ruined" every other ride I tried for a LONG time haha!

I started using Paiste in 2009. I still use my Zildjian and Sabian cymbals, but I really like the sound and feel of the Paistes.
I 100% get the hesitation because of the price. I have seen cracked Paistes come through the shop, but just as many other brands. The Paiste cymbals did seem to have a different type of crack though.

I originally thought that they would be more prone to cracks, but I haven't had any issues at all with anything.

I have 15" 602 Medium hats, a couple crashes and a 24" ride on my "list".
I have what I want in 2002, Giant Beat, 2002 Big Beat, and a 22" Signature china.
602 will be next, but it will take longer. Not much used yet in 602.

Cheers!

Burps

Reaction score
I'm a huge 602 fan, and there's one thing I noticed since Paiste brought back the 602 in 2011. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't really see many cracked 602s from the reissues. If this is true, there could be many reasons why and I have a couple of theories. I believe, if treated properly, on and off the stands, the 602s should not break. If anyone can afford a new 602, go for it.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a set of new 602's. I've used them on some loud R&B and wedding gigs and have had no crack or breakage issues. They sound fabulous, IMHO, played loudly or more sensitively.

That said, for louder music, you might want to think about getting 2002s, Rudes or MEs. The ME is, IMHO, the closest thing they make to the Sound Creation, which is thicker than the 602. I have a set of SC's as well; when I went to check out the ME's, I found them to similar to my 602 and SC's - kind of right in the middle - to justify buying them.

Good hunting.

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
I STILL have the 70's 22" 602 ride I got used in 1980.
I use it until around 1993 and "retired it" because they no longer made the 602's.
I have to say that 602 basically "ruined" every other ride I tried for a LONG time haha!

I started using Paiste in 2009. I still use my Zildjian and Sabian cymbals, but I really like the sound and feel of the Paistes.
I 100% get the hesitation because of the price. I have seen cracked Paistes come through the shop, but just as many other brands. The Paiste cymbals did seem to have a different type of crack though.

I originally thought that they would be more prone to cracks, but I haven't had any issues at all with anything.

I have 15" 602 Medium hats, a couple crashes and a 24" ride on my "list".
I have what I want in 2002, Giant Beat, 2002 Big Beat, and a 22" Signature china.
602 will be next, but it will take longer. Not much used yet in 602.

Cheers!
That's great to know, thank you! Yes have very fond memories of the 602 ride, interestingly the closest thing I've found to that sound is in a 22" hollow logo A ziildjian medium I used to have. The modern version I have now sounds quite different!! In saying that, the old ears have no doubt taken more abuse in the intervening years!! I believe Paiste's are a bit more consistent model-to-model? Here's hoping anyway!!
Thanks once again

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
I have a set of new 602's. I've used them on some loud R&B and wedding gigs and have had no crack or breakage issues. They sound fabulous, IMHO, played loudly or more sensitively.

That said, for louder music, you might want to think about getting 2002s, Rudes or MEs. The ME is, IMHO, the closest thing they make to the Sound Creation, which is thicker than the 602. I have a set of SC's as well; when I went to check out the ME's, I found them to similar to my 602 and SC's - kind of right in the middle - to justify buying them.

Good hunting.
Thank you, yeah was considering 2002 at least for crashes. When this bloody plague lockdown is over (in my home country anyway - NZ) will be making a beeline to the nearest drum shop to investigate more closely :)

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
The 602 sound files are amazing. I'd also recommend 2002s for louder music with exception of the ride. I wouldn't risk cracking the 602 crashes or hats.
They certainly are! That's what got me real curious! Cool thanks for suggestion, another member mentioned the same. Will investigate further!

Jackal Jack

Reaction score

Good hunting.
Good to know, thanks!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
They certainly are! That's what got me real curious! Cool thanks for suggestion, another member mentioned the same. Will investigate further!
I would check out mycymbal.com, among other places.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I bought the first set of 602s in Canada when they reissued them and have used them since for at least 50 gigs per year and at least that many rehearsals and they are THE cymbals first me. My go to cymbals. I can sell other cymbals but these stay with . I had been hoping Paiste would expand the line with odd size crashes and heavy hihats and they have now. Once things get back to normal , I may be looking into getting more 602s.

Latest posts