Paiste cymbals - would you recommend?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Honestly, Zildjian makes my favorite stuff... including options for loud playing. I’ve never broken any. In terms of Paiste, why not try 2002? Those might cut a little more than 602s and won’t need to be hit as hard. 602s are nice cymbals, but kinda dig 2002.

shnootre

Reaction score
I have all Zildjian pies except for an Agop Vezir which I use as LS ride. Been dreaming of a Masters Swish tho - but now I can’t try it in the local drum shop (tho I can still purchase from them). My other cymbals are a K Con renny 22, K Custom Hybrid 17, and K light 15” hats. Masters Swish would blend in just fine?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have all Zildjian pies except for an Agop Vezir which I use as LS ride. Been dreaming of a Masters Swish tho - but now I can’t try it in the local drum shop (tho I can still purchase from them). My other cymbals are a K Con renny 22, K Custom Hybrid 17, and K light 15” hats. Masters Swish would blend in just fine?
I’m sure the swish would blend, since it’s B20. Even if it were not, a china/swish is a different enough sound anyways. I’m rather enjoying a new 22” A Swish knocker. That thing is a beauty. Only problem is that it can take up more real estate. I’ve been doing some playing at a certain church, and the darn plexiglass cuts into my swish space!!

Can be a good idea to have a smaller one in the collection (18, 20) as well.

I’m a big proponent of a swish (or china played as a swish). I think it really adds a nice color...something different than another boring crash added.

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have

1 2002 20" crash
1 2002 20" ' medium' ( not a ride )
1 Paiste Rude crash/ride white logo from the late 70's or early 80's
1 2002 17" thin crash
1 Dark Energy 17" crash
1 pre serial 20" 602 ' medium ' ride
1 Giant Beat 18" thin crash
1 11" Traditionals splash

1 pair 2002 soundedge hats

Others I've let go over the years that I regret .

Paiste B-8's blend better with Paiste non B-8's better than those from other manufacturers .

lcondo123

Reaction score
I currently have a set of 1976 15" 2002 SE hats, an 18" pre-serial 602 ride, a 24" reissue Giant Beat, and a 20" white label Giant Beat that I use as a group together, and by God they are incredible as a cohesive unit. The 18" ride sits at 1650g, while the 20" GB is 1880g, and those two cymbals compliment each other so well.

No matter what you go with, you really can't go wrong with Paiste!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
14" 2oo2 SE hihats
16" 2oo2 crash
14" Dark Crisp sig hi hats
14" Sound Edge Sig hi hats
20" Rough ride
20" SC Bright Medium Ride
20" Dark Ride SC
20" Dark Medium Ride SC
18" Dark China SC
18" Dark Crash SC
20" Mellow Ride SC
14" Dark Heavy hi hat SC
14" SE bottom SC
20" SReflect 2000 China
18" Brass Tones
20" 2oo2 Ride
18" 2oo2 Crash
16" Full Crash sig

that I remember

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the first set of 602s in Canada when they reissued them and have used them since for at least 50 gigs per year and at least that many rehearsals and they are THE cymbals first me. My go to cymbals. I can sell other cymbals but these stay with . I had been hoping Paiste would expand the line with odd size crashes and heavy hihats and they have now. Once things get back to normal , I may be looking into getting more 602s.
What's your favorite 602 set up that you've been using?

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
I think Paiste's are great – in my opinion, they are some of the most consistent, well-made cymbals out there. I owned some of the reissued 602 classic hi-hats and they were fantastic.

Some debate whereas their consistency is a gift or a curse. While it's great you can pick a model and guarantee each one to sound close to identical, it sometimes takes the fun out of getting unique, individual instruments from a model range.

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
I think Paiste's are great – in my opinion, they are some of the most consistent, well-made cymbals out there. I owned some of the reissued 602 classic hi-hats and they were fantastic.

Some debate whereas their consistency is a gift or a curse. While it's great you can pick a model and guarantee each one to sound close to identical, it sometimes takes the fun out of getting unique, individual instruments from a model range.
Yeah in this case the consistency is what I'm after! If I can replicate the (probably rose-tinted) sound memory I have of the 602 medium ride, then happy days!!
What's been interesting with the replies to this threat is how many people are saying how well Paiste's `blend' together, which is cool. Took 20 years to find a `family' sounding set of Zildjian, and only in A series. K's? forget it!! But that's not a bad thing either, and part of the legend, and obviously personal preference (which often changes by the day/week/month/year!) plays a big part too! One of the beauties of these unique instruments!!

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
14" 2oo2 SE hihats
16" 2oo2 crash
14" Dark Crisp sig hi hats
14" Sound Edge Sig hi hats
20" Rough ride
20" SC Bright Medium Ride
20" Dark Ride SC
20" Dark Medium Ride SC
18" Dark China SC
18" Dark Crash SC
20" Mellow Ride SC
14" Dark Heavy hi hat SC
14" SE bottom SC
20" SReflect 2000 China
18" Brass Tones
20" 2oo2 Ride
18" 2oo2 Crash
16" Full Crash sig

that I remember
How do you rate the Signature dark crisps vs the sound-edge JDA? Both of these are hi-hats I'm very interested in, but it's one thing hearing a sound-file and another actually trying them out (which unable to do at the mo). What in your opinion would be the most versatile pair?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hi fellow drummers.
With Paiste re-releasing Formula 602 cymbals, I'm very curious to acquire some, as I once owned a beautiful 70's era 22" 602 medium ride which I stupidly sold many years ago.
My current set-up is all Zildjian, 22" A medium ride, 18 and 19" A medium thin crashes and 14" K/Z hats (although I usually use a K mastersound bottom these days) and occasionally a 20" A china boy high. Am very happy with these, both in terms of sound and durability (I do find I crack a crash every several years or so though - I mainly play in quite loud bands, and do crash with a sideways glancing blow as opposed to a front on whack, but still have the odd breakage).
Anyway, I play in different bands in cities 600km apart, and to save on excess baggage charges or a very long drive, I want a 2nd set of cymbals, so my question is:

-Are Paiste cymbals durable - noting they're very expensive?

Having had a look at Paiste website, am thinking 602 or 2002 mediums as crashes, aforementioned 22" 602 medium ride, and 13 or 14" dark crisp hats, and the 20" 2002 china really impresses.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on Paiste cymbals!!
B8 tends to lend a mellow buttery fatness to a cymbal.
Bonham wasn't the biggest fan, because he felt they were too "slow".
I think I've experienced a little of that myself.
I'm not a big fan of the 602's, either. Only one I ever liked belonged to someone else. A 19" Flat, I believe.
They tend to be too icy for my tastes. Lends to a sort of "dead" quality.
Modern Essentials are better, but still too cold.
I'm a Signature guy. I feel its a nice cross between the 2002 and 602, plus having an element all its own.
These cymbals can really live. Warm and crisp with a beautiful glassy timbre. My old 20" Mellow Ride had a searing crash.
I went through a TON of Paiste's when I bought the Ludwig kit and I ended up with a pair of Trad's; 20" Light Ride and an 18" flat ride. The 13" hats ended up being a Dark Energy top over a Signature Medium bottom.
A very nice pairing. Essentially, a set of Mellow hats, but with a darker, classier sound.
These days I'm hangin' with the Turks again, but Paiste does make some wonderful cymbals.

Elvis

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
What's your favorite 602 set up that you've been using?
Right now my 602 setup that I am using for the majority of my gigs is :
15” 602 Modern Essentials hihats
18” 602 thin crash
18” 602 Modern Essentials crash
20” 602 Medium ride

I will occasionally sub in the 16” thin crash for the 18”Modern Essentials crash .

for small stages I will only take
The 15” hats , 18” thin crash and 20” Medium ride .

Black Label

Reaction score
I own a few 602's and they really are extremely versatile and fun to play. They are bright and sparkling with that typical Paiste shimmer and - but for my 22"602 dark ride - are buttery and open up with the slightest of touches. They will suit most genres (excl. metal etc). All mine are vintage though - 14" sound edge hats (60's); 2 x 20"crashes (60's and 70's); 22 and 24"mediums (60's and 70's) and the 22"602 dark ride, which is quite a rare bird but a lot less user friendly than the normal 602's - it's actually quite a hard cymbals to play. I also have Signatures, 2002's and Giant beats and they all mix beautifully. If you play Paiste's you can mix and match alloys - they all sound great together.

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People's thoughts ? I never NEVER thought I would play Paiste. I'm not a B8 fan, there's only a few 2002 models I like ( 22" Ride might be it) and the Signature alloy is terribly and obniouxously bright and abrasive.

BUT ... over the past few years I have been building a set of reissue 602's and Masters. I compared a friend's re-isuue 602's to some Zildjian and Sabian I had and I liked the smoothness to the sound and how they always sounded like a set, no matter what I chose. I've found I have to be extremely selective in what I choose, for the most part they're all large cymbals. 20's, 21's and 22's. Nothing under a 19. Even a 18" 602 sounds like a big splash to me. But the big upside is that the blend between the cymbals is just superb. The pitch distinctions and decay are balanced. They sound like a set of cymbals,not just different things mished and mashed.
Bear in mind 602s are made of B20, so it stands to reason they play well with other B20 cymbals (Zildjian, Sabian, UFIP, Turkish etc). Charlie Watts, Ringo Starr, Jim Keltner, Jeff Porcaro, Jim Gordon, John Densmore and others mixed Paiste 602s with Zildjian and other brands for years.

A good sounding B8 cymbal will blend nicely with a good sounding Zildjian or any good sounding B20 cymbal. I have several white label/pre-serial 20" Giant Beat rides and they blend perfectly with my vintage A's and newer K Sweet Crash prototype. Charlie's beloved 18" Flat ride (made in Italy - we think possibly by Tosco) is made of B8 and blends beautifully with the rest of cymbals, all of which are B20 Zildjians and UFIP. Simply put: Good sounding cymbals play well together, regardless of alloy and brands.

Stay safe everyone.

Last edited:

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow drummers.
With Paiste re-releasing Formula 602 cymbals, I'm very curious to acquire some, as I once owned a beautiful 70's era 22" 602 medium ride which I stupidly sold many years ago.
My current set-up is all Zildjian, 22" A medium ride, 18 and 19" A medium thin crashes and 14" K/Z hats (although I usually use a K mastersound bottom these days) and occasionally a 20" A china boy high. Am very happy with these, both in terms of sound and durability (I do find I crack a crash every several years or so though - I mainly play in quite loud bands, and do crash with a sideways glancing blow as opposed to a front on whack, but still have the odd breakage).
Anyway, I play in different bands in cities 600km apart, and to save on excess baggage charges or a very long drive, I want a 2nd set of cymbals, so my question is:

-Are Paiste cymbals durable - noting they're very expensive?

Having had a look at Paiste website, am thinking 602 or 2002 mediums as crashes, aforementioned 22" 602 medium ride, and 13 or 14" dark crisp hats, and the 20" 2002 china really impresses.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on Paiste cymbals!!
I have no idea what it is but 602's are to me the best Paiste series by far. After playing 2002's, Signatures and having started 40+ yrs ago with 404's and 505's, still to this day IMHO they are the best sounding Paistes. Pre-serials are special but like any instrument, they all have their own personality.

Latest posts