Paiste dark energy rides ? (+ similar to K dark medium ?)

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone who gigs or likes/dislikes the Paiste 21 dark energy ride MK2 ? Is it versatile ?
I had the MK1 version a good few years ago and found it one dimensional and almost too precise (if that makes sense) so sold it on, but I'm curious to hear the MK2 version.

Also has anyone compared the MK2 to a Zildjian 22 K dark medium ? they seem to have some sonic similarity.

Thanks

Last edited:

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had a 22” MKII for over 10 years, it’s one of the most versatile rides I own. It’s a rare feature to have a ride thin enough to crash yet it has a pretty strong bell. The other thing I love is that after you crash it you can go back to riding on the bow and the crash never overwhelms the stick. It also doesn’t wash out under heavy playing.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a 22” MKII for over 10 years, it’s one of the most versatile rides I own. It’s a rare feature to have a ride thin enough to crash yet it has a pretty strong bell. The other thing I love is that after you crash it you can go back to riding on the bow and the crash never overwhelms the stick. It also doesn’t wash out under heavy playing.
Ever compared it with a K dark medium ?

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are different animals in my opinion. I used to own a 22" K Dark Medium and I still have my 22" DE MKII.

The Dark Medium (DM) tapers off towards the edge and has a much thinner edge than the DE. You can crash either ride, but I would say the DM is more crashable.

DEMKII is heavier than the DM.

DM had more of a steely stick sound. My DE has a darker stick sound. It does not have that Paiste glassy stick sound. It has some similarities with the stick sound of the Sabian HH RBDR. In fact, if you wanted a substitute for the DE I would say the RBDR is much closer than the DM. Going the other way... If you wanted a Paiste substitute for the DM the 21" Paiste Twenty Masters Medium Ride is closer to the DM than the DE is.

All the above is just my opinion and also based on the particular cymbals I have had.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are different.
As you may have already guessed...Ive owned THREE 22" DE Mark 2 rides.

One was a keeper. Could have used it til I died. It was basically a tamer scdr.

I made a demo with it...damn...I should have never sold it....but....I like the wild, untamed beast called scdr.

The DE i had ..the stick sound was woody..

The others too icey.

The good DE had a subtle soft dark wash...and it was very crashable...

Weight wash 29 - - something grams.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really Great information there guys , thank you so much.

A K DM side story.
I sold a DM to a friend about 10 years ago and today I borrowed it back (he doesn't gig it so will sell it back to me if I want).

The amazing thing is he had it on a cymbal stand for the last 10 years on a practice kit at home and the DM has taken on a whole lot of patina and now sounds much drier yet open and more balanced than I remember it , definitely improved . Perhaps it's loosened up with age, is that possible ? Or maybe it's all in my head.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom, how many dark mediums have you owned ? (Probably like a dozen or something :happy7: ) Do you remember the weight of the lightest one ?

Last edited:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Really Great information there guys , thank you so much.

A K DM side story.
I sold a DM to a friend about 10 years ago and today I borrowed it back (he doesn't gig it so will sell it back to me if I want).

The amazing thing is he had it on a cymbal stand for the last 10 years on a practice kit at home and the DM has taken on a whole lot of patina and now sounds much drier yet open and more balanced than I remember it , definitely improved . Perhaps it's loosened up with age, is that possible ? Or maybe it's all in my head.
I think it is very likely that the cymbal loosened up with age. That is something that I’ve personally experienced and a common part of cymbal lore.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
:happy7:
I think it is very likely that the cymbal loosened up with age. That is something that I’ve personally experienced and a common part of cymbal lore.
Thanks, what cymbal did you notice this on and how did the sound change ?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
:happy7:

Thanks, what cymbal did you notice this on and how did the sound change ?
I think it will happen with any cymbal, as the tension in it relaxes over time. I’ve played and owned several cymbals that have a character I and others might describe as “played-out” to various degrees. It’s a loosening of the cymbal, may be described as darker, warmer, drier in a certain way. The highs usually diminish, perceived-brittleness may diminish. Some older cymbals are so played-out that they cease to make any useable sound at all. Personally I’ve only owned one cymbal long enough for it to change noticeably while in my possession, a K con Hi-bell mtl. It got looser, less brittle, softer under the stick. Maybe little lower in pitch, but might just be perceived from having slightly less highs.