Paiste Dark Energy Set

skelt101

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting together a Dark Energy set. Already have an 18" crash, and 15" hats on the way. What would you all choose for a 22" ride, Mark I or Mark II? Also, what current production 20" would fit tonally between the 18" and 22" as a crash ride? Current suspects are the Signature Fast Crash and Fast Medium... Thanks in advance!

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as MkI or II - that’s personal preference - I like the MkII because it’s a little more open. I’d rather have the volume potential and just dial it back on my playing for quieter music. But if you want more control the MKI is nice...

Definitely either the Fast Crash or Fast Medium will fit well with your set up. I’ve had the crash and it’s one of my favorites, but I want to check out the new Fast Medium as I haven’t heard them yet...

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although I have a DE 21” I went with the MKII for same reason as above. I’m feel MKII is more versatile, both are great.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a mkll 21".. Every so often it comes out.. I tire of it as it's volume isn't suited to ever taking in band room.. But on my set on my own I love it.. The new 15" hats look interesting tho

Gerry

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My DE setup consists of a 22” MKII with 18” and 19” crashes and the 15” hats. Superb cymbals.
Those 20” crashes don’t show up very often!

skelt101

Reaction score
The Paiste Dark set is coming together! Currently have the 18” and 20” crashes, with the 15” hats (still) on order. I do like the sound files of the Mark II ride, but the Masters Dark Crisp ride has caught my attention as well! Anyone have experience with both and/or comments on how they would integrate with this set? (I should also add that I use a Masters Swish as an alternate ride and/or effects...) Thanks for any opinions!

nickrobotron

Reaction score
The Paiste Dark set is coming together! Currently have the 18” and 20” crashes, with the 15” hats (still) on order. I do like the sound files of the Mark II ride, but the Masters Dark Crisp ride has caught my attention as well! Anyone have experience with both and/or comments on how they would integrate with this set? (I should also add that I use a Masters Swish as an alternate ride and/or effects...) Thanks for any opinions!
I miss my 22” MKii. It’s very versatile. It is one of the best I’ve ever owned. I traded it for a 22 602 ME. Love that one too, but the stick on the MKii just rode so nicely above the guitars. I would start there.

The Dark Crisp is equally heavy but plays heavier with a trash to it that makes it not very versatile. It’s a stiff cymbal.

Black Label

Reaction score
The Dark Crisp is equally heavy but plays heavier with a trash to it that makes it not very versatile. It’s a stiff cymbal.
I have never played a Mk2 but I own a Mk1 22" ride and really enjoy it. It is a lot more versatile than what one may think, has a nice bell, good spread from bell to edge and crashes and wash rides beautifully. I do agree re the Dark Crisp - I had a 22" once and found it just not my taste - quite loud, trashy, dark and - yes - stiff. Not buttery, like the DE ride.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the 22" MKII, Masters 22" Dark, Masters 22" Dark crash ride, and the 24" ME 602 RIde.

The MKII and 602 are the best for rock or louder situations. The Masters, while still great for those genres, are more complex and not quite as cutting.

The MKII and Dark Crash/Ride 22" make a nice combo.

michiganice91

Reaction score
I personally think Twenty Custom models blend perfectly with dark energy cymbals believe it or not. I'm not sure what sound you're after but a Twenty Custom Full Ride would be a good option to integrate as well.

skelt101

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! My main concern with the DE MkII is how well it will crash. I think it was RickP that mentioned it didn't, and preferred the Masters Dark Crisp for that reason (more versatility). What I'm hearing from the Paiste soundfiles is a defined, metallic stick from the DE and a more woody stick and trashy wash from the Dark Crisp. Do I have that right? The 602 ME does sound nice, but might be a little too clean to match up with my crashes and swish... Good call on the Twenty series, michiganice91! The website doesn't have much in the way of soundfiles anymore, but the Twenty series 22" ride might be a possibility... Any other rides I should check out?

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 22" MKII that I have is quite versatile in terms of stick/crash/bell. It is somewhat dry, but the shoulder crashes and edge crashes and nice and dark/shimmery. If you are wanting a ride that is "buttery" under the stick, I would definitely suggest the Masters rides. The are more "open" sounding and more ride/crash-like. I have no issue using the Dark Rides as crashes, as they are very responsive. I use the MKII with louder sessions that require a more defined stick definition/bell.

And yes, the ME Rides are quite clean, but not 2oo2 clean. I owned a few of the Twenty Rides, and never really connected with them, or the crashes/hats. IMO they were muted, stiff, and varied a lot in weights and sounds. The only one I have left is a 10" Splash, that weighs more than my Rude 10" splash... Its quite heavy and I would absolutely suggest the modern Masters series over the older Twenty series all day long. No offense to the Twenty lovers out there.

Last edited:

michiganice91

Reaction score
The 22" MKII that I have is quite versatile in terms of stick/crash/bell. It is somewhat dry, but the shoulder crashes and edge crashes and nice and dark/shimmery. If you are wanting a ride that is "buttery" under the stick, I would definitely suggest the Masters rides. The are more "open" sounding and more ride/crash-like. I have no issue using the Dark Rides as crashes, as they are very responsive. I use the MKII with louder sessions that require a more defined stick definition/bell.

And yes, the ME Rides are quite clean, but not 2oo2 clean. I owned a few of the Twenty Rides, and never really connected with them, or the crashes/hats. IMO they were muted, stiff, and varied a lot in weights and sounds. The only one I have left is a 10" Splash, that weighs more than my Rude 10" splash... Its quite heavy and I would absolutely suggest the modern Masters series over the older Twenty series all day long. No offense to the Twenty lovers out there.
You know Twenty and Twenty custom are totally different right? Have you tried the custom series? I've personally never played anything from the regular Twenty line but I know @mgdrummer absolutely loves them. There is no reason to suggest the current masters are superior in any way. Maybe give them another try?

michiganice91

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! My main concern with the DE MkII is how well it will crash. I think it was RickP that mentioned it didn't, and preferred the Masters Dark Crisp for that reason (more versatility). What I'm hearing from the Paiste soundfiles is a defined, metallic stick from the DE and a more woody stick and trashy wash from the Dark Crisp. Do I have that right? The 602 ME does sound nice, but might be a little too clean to match up with my crashes and swish... Good call on the Twenty series, michiganice91! The website doesn't have much in the way of soundfiles anymore, but the Twenty series 22" ride might be a possibility... Any other rides I should check out?
This thing opens up really easily without much effort. Give it a listen.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You know Twenty and Twenty custom are totally different right? Have you tried the custom series? I've personally never played anything from the regular Twenty line but I know @mgdrummer absolutely loves them. There is no reason to suggest the current masters are superior in any way. Maybe give them another try?
Oh yes, I have owned a couple dozen of each. For me, the current are far superior in every way. Just my opinion.

skelt101

Reaction score
What is the difference between the two? Is it similar to Zildjian A and A Custom? BTW, I now have tracking on the 15" Hi Hats!!!

michiganice91

Reaction score
Oh yes, I have owned a couple dozen of each. For me, the current are far superior in every way. Just my opinion.
Too me it's apples and oranges so I feel it's more a matter of preference than superiority. The original twenties, twenty customs, and current masters are all different concepts in sound I think. The twenty masters and current masters you might be able to compare since there is some overlap there, but otherwise I just think they are each unique ideas.

Latest posts