Paiste Dixie

toddlittle827

Reaction score
I contact Paiste HQ on a semi-regular basis trying to solve some of these old mysteries. Sadly, they are not the best keepers of their own history.

I think they have been happy to hear about some of my research and puzzling out of this type of stuff. The last time I chatted with someone there he told me they are going to try to get all their old catalogs together and try to improve their archives.

The information is probably all there, but they just don't bother to look for it. I have been told that Michael Paiste (who left the company to work on his own some time ago) is the younger Paiste who knows of the old history, not Erik, who I am told cares little of the distant past. So far, I haven't found an "in" to make contact with Michael. One day I will. Would be interesting to go over all myself and a small band of others have put together about the old days with him.

I have been told the reason the Formula 602s are called that is the "60" refers to the 60th formulation of B20, the one they liked and decided to work with. The "2" was a code for B20 alloy. So Formula 602.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
Adding on to that - I do chat with Pierre Favre and Fredy Studer every now and then but their time of employment at Paiste is later, so I don't think they would know why the Dixie is called the Dixie as it's a late 50s cymbal. Was most likely named by Robert or Toomas. I doubt anyone is still around from that time period that would know.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
For anyone following this thread - I went back and looked at the various Dixie listings in my old Paiste catalogs and made a necessary Edit to the lineups I posted in entry #16.

Zen, take a look at that change. Important for the new Wiki.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
There are 404s out of Germany that also use the Crash Ride designation. They are even metal stamped as 404s but my guess is they were probably leftover Dixie stock that hadn't gotten engraved with the Dixie logo yet when they switched things up. So there are metal stamped Dixies with a 404 ink stamp above bell and some Crash Rides out there metal stamped and ink stamped as 404s too. I'm pretty sure these 404 Crash Rides will only be German-made (I don't recall seeing any Swiss examples) and like I said above they are probably really Dixies dressed up like 404s. Either that or they are actual 404 cymbals and at some point early in the release of the line Paiste decided to make the 404 selection more like that of the 505s and 2002s as far as available sizes and the use of Crash, Medium and Ride designations.

Latest posts