header.nohb.html

Paiste Fast Crashes

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on these. I am interested whether people that have played them prefer between the 18 and 19 sizes. Thanks.
They are my absolute favorite Paiste crashes and I use them in 17-20 and they all sound wonderful. The 18" is my main crash for gigs and it kills. But honestly you can't go wrong here.

2oo2

Reaction score
Can only speak for the 16” (which I had, assuming you’re talking about Signature fast crashes). Extremely thin and responsive, very bright with a hint of harshness, good amount of sustain, almost sci-fi sounding. I ended selling mine just because of that, it was very bright and too “robotic/industrial”, like the sound came from an advanced synthesizer from the future and not an actual instrument.

Not bashing the 16” Sig Fast Crash at all, it just didn’t blend well with my 2002 crashes which sound more natural and full-bodied. I can only guess the 18” and 19” models will be less bright and more balanced. For studio work I’m sure they excel in all sizes.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My main left side crash was the Signature 18” Fast Crash. I love it. I used it on our last record and never took it off the stand during the session. I am currently using a 19” Big Beat. The Big Beats are more complex and faster to me. The Signatures are just beautiful and very full. They make a big statement and then leave. Paiste doesn’t make a lot of fast crashes.

I can’t speak to the 19” Sig Fast. I’m sure it’s amazing. I swear by the 18”.

cornelius

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played an 18" for years - one cracked and the other I sold. I think I'll pick up another. I never heard a 19", but in this video Gary Husband plays one and it sounds great.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh wow!
I literally just picked up a 20 Signature Fast Crash.
It is phenomenal.
Just enough warmth and sparkle.
It fits perfectly after the 19 Signature Dark Energy Crash.
I was blown away with how expressive it is.
I had tried the 20 Signature Full Crash but it was just too heavy for that setup.
I needed something lighter and warmer, that would play softer.
This Fast Crash is unreal.
I much prefer the larger Paiste crashes ... they are considerably more versatile.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Follow up question: how do the fast crashes compare to the Precision crashes.

bluejacketsfan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the Fasts 16/17/18, and love them. I pair them with Mellow Crashes.

I had a Precision crash, and in my opinion, they were nothing special in comparison.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer the depth and body of the larger crashes for rock the smaller sizes for r&b /funk/pop

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I originally got an 18” fast crash a few years ago because Stewart Copeland used one. Like I said here before it’s the nicest crash I’ve ever had. You might want to check out the Mellow crash first though before buying because that seems nice too. Sometimes I use the fast crash as a crash/ride with a thin stick like I do in these two vids:

Tom Cat

Reaction score
when i 1st moved on from exclusively playing Zildjian's(43yrs) to Paiste i went nuts discovering how realatively affordable and easily accessable they were on ebay, the Signature line was instantly my favorite then I discovered 2oo2s and the 602s. BUT the fast Sigs hit me as---> the perfect cymbal sounds is this!
I had sizes from 16-19 and pic'd up a 15" fast that was fire sale priced that became a regular in my setup, very splashy there and nearly instanty gone and loved using it to accent a strong cracking rim shot on the snare, it was extremely effective combination!!
loved it so much i got a 15"signature china that i still have, now discontinued.
but I highly recomend one if you can find one.
as far as the larger18-19" fasts you won't go wrong,
and as Mcjnic said I am 100% in agreement with "I much prefer the larger Paiste crashes ..."

Last edited:

jmato

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play a 16" Signature Traditional as a fast crash - my most beautiful sounding cymbal. Maybe check it out too!

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play a 16" Signature Traditional as a fast crash - my most beautiful sounding cymbal. Maybe check it out too!
You should check out the 16” PSTX Cajon crash. It would probably go well with yours and you can play it with your bare hands if you want

jmato

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You should check out the 16” PSTX Cajon crash. It would probably go well with yours and you can play it with your bare hands if you want
Ryan - I already have the 16 PSTX Swiss Medium - it pairs quite nicely, and they both usually blend in with my GBs.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ryan - I already have the 16 PSTX Swiss Medium - it pairs quite nicely, and they both usually blend in with my GBs.
Ok I was just checking because Paiste describes both the traditional and PSTX crash I mentioned as having volume as soft and weight as light on the website

Burps

Reaction score
I always tend to see a lot of love for the larger sized crashes and that's cool, but I love my 14" Signature Fast Crash. I would love to own the 18" size someday though. I also love the old 14" Sound Formula crystal crash too.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I always tend to see a lot of love for the larger sized crashes and that's cool, but I love my 14" Signature Fast Crash. I would love to own the 18" size someday though. I also love the old 14" Sound Formula crystal crash too.

Had a whole set of those Crystals ... ride, 14,16,18,20 crashes, 14 hats.
Just an interesting bunch of cymbals.
The 14 was my favorite to use away from its brethren.
Made an outstanding large splash effect.