header.nohb.html

Paiste flat ride

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After my recent acquisition of a new 22” 602 medium ride, and being a flat ride lover that I am, I thought it would be cool to add an 18” 602 Thin flat to go along with the medium ride (having several flats, none of them are Paiste). However, after listening to several sound samples, I think I like the 18” 2002 flat over the 602 - brighter and with what sounds like a better crash (which we know can be challenging for a flat). Because I cannot find neither of these locally it would need to be an online purchase, relying on sound samples. Anyone with experience they can share is appreciated.

2oo2

Reaction score
I own a 20" 2oo2 flat ride, IMO the perfect sound as it doesn't have that nasty droning that some B20 flat rides have (specially when you play them near the edge or crash them). Try to find one used/vintage, the highs will be mellowed out a bit, but even new I think it's a good choice, great stick attack without interfering or contradicting overtones, just a pleasantly defined sound.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
These days, Paiste is flat ride heaven! I think all of them, maybe with the exception of the 2002, might vary quite a bit, so buying by soundfile is a good idea.
Then there is Sabina with the Royalty flat which was based on Roy Haynes's 18".

paulwells73

Reaction score
I played a few of the 602 Thin Flatrides at Good Hands (the former Steve Maxwell’s) here in NYC yesterday. I hadn’t played the Thins before and they were surprisingly light - very thin and wispy with a nice soft crash. I loved them, but I think the 602 Medium Flat or a 2002 Flat would work better for most people, unless you’re playing super quiet acoustic music,

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies / confirmations, everyone. Really wish I had an opportunity to try them at hand, but still sounds like I can't go wrong with these. Going to continue to listen to a many sound samples/videos as possible.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I own a 20" 2oo2 flat ride, IMO the perfect sound as it doesn't have that nasty droning that some B20 flat rides have (specially when you play them near the edge or crash them). Try to find one used/vintage, the highs will be mellowed out a bit, but even new I think it's a good choice, great stick attack without interfering or contradicting overtones, just a pleasantly defined sound.
I know this droning sound you speak of. My Boshphorus 19" Turk flat has that pronounced underlying hum when playing too close to the edge and crashing that can be annoying at times. I understand this is a characteristic of flats, but some are less pronounced that others. This Turk flat though is pretty severe.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
These days, Paiste is flat ride heaven! I think all of them, maybe with the exception of the 2002, might vary quite a bit, so buying by soundfile is a good idea.
Then there is Sabina with the Royalty flat which was based on Roy Haynes's 18".

I look into the Royalty flat - thanks for the tip.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I had a 602 flat ride which I used outside of my band for depping gigs. It was a nice cymbal but didn’t get played enough. 40 years on and I saw it again in a store! I knew this as the guy who pxd it bought it off the guy I sold it to. It sounded great, just very quiet compared to the bigger Paistes I use today.
If I was buying another flat ride it would be a 2002, no question as it’s a bit louder and has some sort of crash to it

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I acquired an 18" 602 flat and it's what the doctor ordered for those light touches that are needed for some ballads. She is everything opposite of what my 26" Giant Beat is; both have room in my set up.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have 16", 18", and 20" Paiste 602 flats - I love them all and they get used a lot. But the 2002s are just as good, in some ways better because of a little added sparkle. The 20" 2002 flats, at least the old black labels, are also very consistent and can be found at a reasonable price.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 16", 18", and 20" Paiste 602 flats - I love them all and they get used a lot. But the 2002s are just as good, in some ways better because of a little added sparkle. The 20" 2002 flats, at least the old black labels, are also very consistent and can be found at a reasonable price
Agree. For a recent recording, I was toying around with a variety of cymbals and ended up using a 20" 2002 flat along with a 19" DE Crash (small notch, rivets). This was never a set up that I planned on using going in, but they just sounded so right together that I couldn't not use them.
Birdseye-Paiste-Flat.jpg

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
After my recent acquisition of a new 22” 602 medium ride, and being a flat ride lover that I am, I thought it would be cool to add an 18” 602 Thin flat to go along with the medium ride (having several flats, none of them are Paiste). However, after listening to several sound samples, I think I like the 18” 2002 flat over the 602 - brighter and with what sounds like a better crash (which we know can be challenging for a flat). Because I cannot find neither of these locally it would need to be an online purchase, relying on sound samples. Anyone with experience they can share is appreciated.

I have an 18 and 20 602. If I just had to go with one, it'd be the 20. If you can find a SC 20 flat, buy it!