Paiste Formula 602 14" Hi Hats (repaired)

nickrobotron

Reaction score
Ok, so this is a strange pair. Repaired pre-serial over repaired Blue Label.

The first cymbal is a pre-serial 602 that had a chip and was professionally repaired. The work was done cleanly. It is just a touch heavier than the Blue Label, but I believe most of the weight is in the bell as it plays light, which is why I personally chose this to be the top.

The second is a Blue Label 602 that was originally a 16" Medium that was cut down. I left all the ink on there because it's kind of a cool story. It was cut down PERFECTLY by a professional. The edge is clean and the diameter is perfect. Paiste is consistent and this will match any true 14" Paiste cymbal. I chose to make it a bottom because its weight is closer to the edge.

$140, shipped.

s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600-5.jpg s-l1600-7.jpg IMG_4379.jpg IMG_4381.jpg

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Just a testimonial from me. I've got a 14" 60s A top hat with a scoop repair like that, and it never gets air lock because of the scoop. Like Sound Edge without the wavy edge. It doesn't affect the sound as far as I can tell. I also have an 18" Block Stamp (mid 50s) which was cut down from 18" to 14" and makes a great bottom hat. What a happens when a cymbal is cut down an inch or more is that you have removed the part of the bow which curves down at the outer edge, and the part which tends to be thinner (tapered). What is called the "crash area" on this diagram:

That isn't always a sonic improvement for a ride cymbal or a crash cymbal. But I reckon it makes for a nice hat, especially on the bottom. Because it is flatter at the edge it has more contact with the top hat similar to a flange hat. Nice robust chup sound. So don't be afraid of these modifications because they do nice things to hats as far as I'm concerned. If I weren't half way around the world and full up with both 602, Traditionals, and A Zildjian hats...I'd be very tempted.

Also apropos of 602 trademark stamps in general, that's a new form of the "mixed" Formula 602 stamp. The one I've documented before

but the alignments on yours are a little different. The more we look, the more we find variation in 602 trademarks. We've come a long way since the days when it was believed that there wasn't any variation in the Formula 602 "embossed" trademark. May I please have permission to grab a copy of yours for my new Project Phoenix: a rebuilt Paiste wiki from the ashes of the now defunct Paiste-Only wiki?

Cymbal Wiki - Paiste

Thanks and GLWS.

Steve

Latest posts