Paiste Giant Beat 20" White Label price?

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Has anyone bought or sold a Giant Beat 20" White Label recently? Or happened to have seen any sell on Reverb or Ebay or such? If so, would you mind sharing what prices you saw any move for? The condition?

I'm interested in picking one up so I'm trying to do a little homework.

I haven't had good luck finding ones that have sold.

Thanks

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently own five 20” White Label Giant Beats. Four here in my drum room and one is on consignment at Steve Maxwell’s.

The last one I bought was a couple of years ago. They can range from $350-$550 for one that’s in good/excellent condition. They’re all pretty close, but one of them is very special.

If you can get one at a decent price, grab it. The reissues don’t have the mojo of the originals. Good luck.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I currently own five 20” White Label Giant Beats. Four here in my drum room and one is on consignment at Steve Maxwell’s.

The last one I bought was a couple of years ago. They can range from $350-$550 for one that’s in good/excellent condition. They’re all pretty close, but one of them is very special.

If you can get one at a decent price, grab it. The reissues don’t have the mojo of the originals. Good luck.
Thank you. This is helpful information. To hear what these have actually sold for, not just unrealistic buy it now prices that sit there for months.

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else bought or sold one of these and would be willing to chime in?

I'm trying to work a trade deal with someone and we have different ideas of value.

Thanks

311Club

Reaction score
I have bought but will never sell. They are indeed priceless! You'll see once you've scored yours and put 3 rivets in. B8 heaven

311Club

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact amounts, 200 - 250 I'd say. Got lucky, found both of them locally. One was drilled for 6 rivets. I installed 3: perfection. The other one is merely sublime :)
That being said, i have 3 24s as well: two from 73 and one reissue. You can see the differences visually, no noticeable difference in sound though. I've had it happen, that I praised one of them, to inquiring musicians, as a 50 year old legendary cymbal; of course only to find out that I had the reissue on the stand!
In short, the new GBs are fantastic as well!! The special mojo that John mentions above, is all in the 40 years, or so, of use and aging the originals have seen. 40 years down the road the reissues will have the same Mojo going on. My opinion, YMMV.

toddlittle827

Reaction score
John and 311Club

if you can find the time I'd appreciate if you could provide me details on your original GBs. weights, serials (if any) White Label or Black Label. And sizes if you have more than the 20"s in your collection.

myself and few others have a far reaching research project going into the history of Paiste. While it's pretty well established that the weight of vintage Paistes increased over the years (especially from the 70s into 80s) one thing we've noticed is that with the early B8 Stambul 65 line, the cymbals seemed to have actually gotten lighter from the preserial age into the first few years of serial numbers (my friend Nils has enough S65 combined with weights gathered from online to verify that this indeed seems to be the case) bucking the trend towards increased weights in a linear fashion.

Wondering if that same applies to the original GBs (and maybe even across the board in all Paiste lines for a few years before they started beefing things up) with the preserial White Label GBs being noticeably heavier than the two years or so of production of the Black Labels. Just don't have a lot of recorded weights on GBs for doing comparisons since they don't come up for sale very often.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John and 311Club

if you can find the time I'd appreciate if you could provide me details on your original GBs. weights, serials (if any) White Label or Black Label. And sizes if you have more than the 20"s in your collection.

myself and few others have a far reaching research project going into the history of Paiste. While it's pretty well established that the weight of vintage Paistes increased over the years (especially from the 70s into 80s) one thing we've noticed is that with the early B8 Stambul 65 line, the cymbals seemed to have actually gotten lighter from the preserial age into the first few years of serial numbers (my friend Nils has enough S65 combined with weights gathered from online to verify that this indeed seems to be the case) bucking the trend towards increased weights in a linear fashion.

Wondering if that same applies to the original GBs (and maybe even across the board in all Paiste lines for a few years before they started beefing things up) with the preserial White Label GBs being noticeably heavier than the two years or so of production of the Black Labels. Just don't have a lot of recorded weights on GBs for doing comparisons since they don't come up for sale very often.

Thanks in advance
I have 4 x 20" GBs and 2 x 15" GB hi hats, all White Label/pre-serial. I'll go through my stash today or tomorrow and get the weights. If memory serves, all the 20" GBs are between 1970-2000 grams. On the lighter side for sure. The hi hats are also light. But I'll confirm.

My conversation with @Gunnellett prompted me to go through my GBs and I rediscovered one of the 20"s that I'd overlooked.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
John and 311Club

Thanks in advance
White Label 15's. Non-serial number.
- Top 901 grams
- Bottom 992 grams

White Label 24. Non-serial number.
- 3121 grams

Not a Giant Beat but if you are gathering general vintage Paiste information, I have a 1977 (according to the serial number) Black Label 2002 20" Medium that weighs 1962 grams.

I used a kitchen scale.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else bought or sold one of these and would be willing to chime in?

I'm trying to work a trade deal with someone and we have different ideas of value.

Thanks

So I did not get the 20" White Label. The gentleman I was talking to valued his cymbal at $1,250 which is out of my league.

The cymbal is in nice shape and has a strong label but I just couldn't do it.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John and 311Club

Thanks in advance
Here are the weights of my White Label GBs... I used a kitchen scale, so I can't vouch for these numbers being 100% accurate, but here goes...

1. 20" White Label GB - 1866 grams
2. 20" White Label GB - 1883 grams
3. 20" White Label GB - 1896 grams
4. 20" White Label GB - 1906 grams

1. 15" White Label Hi Hats - 949/953 grams
2. 15" White Label Hi Hats - 920/921 grams

I hope this is helpful for your research.

52721F73-B4C5-47D3-AA05-D9306DB40281.jpeg
084BBBE2-72A0-4C27-85D4-E63107654120.jpeg

86CB6830-5EA7-4110-86AE-646E1589DC9C.jpeg
39D7C837-307C-4DF7-970C-B71813CEE0C4.jpeg

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are the weights of my White Label GBs... I used a kitchen scale, so I can't vouch for these numbers being 100% accurate, but here goes...

1. 20" White Label GB - 1866 grams
2. 20" White Label GB - 1883 grams
3. 20" White Label GB - 1896 grams
4. 20" White Label GB - 1906 grams

1. 15" White Label Hi Hats - 949/953 grams
2. 15" White Label Hi Hats - 920/921 grams

I hope this is helpful for your research.
That is a nice collection!

311Club

Reaction score
Just realized that my cymbal list is outdated, so I only have the weight for 1 20" and the two old 24":

20" pre-serial: 2007g
24" '73 serial: 2976g
24" '73 serial: 3075g

gotta put some new batteries into my kitchen scale and get the other weights...

CallToClaude

Reaction score
The market for Pre-serial WLGB's is through the roof. I've seen some real garbage listed for close to a grand. I was able to land an 18" at 1500 grams and a 20" at 1965 grams...the 20" is perfection. Don't much care for the hi-hats, I'll stay with my 14" and 15" Black Label 2002's. Waiting on a 24" Pre-serial WLGB as well.