header.nohb.html

Paiste Giant Beat Multi: a Revelation

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought this 26" monstrosity thinking it was a cool novelty to have such a large cymbal until I was playing it with my Masters Extra Dry 22". No doubt, I like the Extra Dry, but am rethinking whether or not I truly need that cymbal when I have the 26" Multi.

The Multi sings, has an authoritative bell, yet in all areas of the cymbal, I can get several voices. I can get a good ping sound and it's not overtaken by the lush wash, I can crash it, I can build up to a wave of wash or go back to a defined ping. This cymbal can cover lots of territory, of course it's size could cover a few zip codes, and it's too large for many cymbal bags! You can buy a bicycle wheel bag to carry the cymbal.

I am debating whether or not the Extra Dry has a space. I am actually liking that it sings with a bit of wash. It actually reminds me of the ride cymbal Clem Burke played with Blondie, featured in Union City Blue and The Hardest Part on the record Eat To The Beat. Yes, Clem is a dyed in the wool Zilly guy, but he's still a great drummer despite that (just kidding!).

Who has had the Giant Beat Revelation?

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I’ve got a 24” Giant Beat and a 24” 2002 BB and a 24” Mastars JR Deep Ride. The GB is my favourite, I’m seriously thinking about getting a 26” GB. Ive only heard sound files so far, there’s a store a few hours drive away that has one. Next time I’m down there Im trying with a view to getting it If it sounds like I think it will.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m shopping for a 24 or 26 GB.
I’ve got a 22, 20T, 19, 18, and 15 hats.
I‘ll be honest … it has taken me quite a bit of time to warm up to them.
Still not my favorites, but I play them.
I recently added a 2002 20 Thin Crash to that mix.
All of the Paiste lines I’ve owned … I’ve always liked the larger cymbals.
They just have more personality.
So ... 24 or 26 GB.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I‘ll be honest … it has taken me quite a bit of time to warm up to them.
Still not my favorites, but I play them.
I hear you on this, but there’s just nothing better in a medium-loud room though, in my opinion. The 24” is amaaaaaaazing. The best of all of them, IMO. I haven’t heard a 26”, but bigger is definitely better in 2002 alloys!

The 22” was my least favorite. Too slow to be a good crash and too light feeling (for me) to be a good ride. I also started with the 24”, so the 22” pitch felt too “on top” of the jams I was playing.

Try that 24” before you give up!

I know you know your Paistes though. Which ones do you love?

To the OP:
I am a big fan Giant Beats and had revelation pretty quickly, as I got back into drums. The 24” Giant Beat is my longest running cymbal of 6 years+. Never once thought about selling it. I love it for loud garage rock and for moodier, indie rock. I can’t say that it does everything, but it does a lot. I would love to try a 26”, but I don’t want to buy a new bag!

Last edited:

type85

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always been a "big ride" guy.
My 1st: 22" 2002 ride
Then around the same time: 22" Sound creation Bell ride and a 24" 602 heavy
The 602 has the wash you're talking about and a really nice bell, it was MUCH heavier (about 4000g) than the your Giant beat, but it had a lot of the same properties!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I hear you on this, but there’s just nothing better in a medium-loud room though, in my opinion. The 24” is amaaaaaaazing. The best of all of them, IMO. I haven’t heard a 26”, but bigger is definitely better in 2002 alloys!

The 22” was my least favorite. Too slow to be a good crash and too light feeling (for me) to be a good ride. I also started with the 24”, so the 22” pitch felt too “on top” of the jams I was playing.

Try that 24” before you give up!

I know you know your Paistes though. Which ones do you love?

To the OP:
I am a big fan Giant Beats and had revelation pretty quickly, as I got back into drums. The 24” Giant Beat is my longest running cymbal of 6 years+. Never once thought about selling it. I love it for loud garage rock and for moodier, indie rock. I can’t say that it does everything, but it does a lot. I would love to try a 26”, but I don’t want to buy a new bag!

My favorite is a 22 Paiste Twenty Light Ride.
It is the quintessential perfect ride.
As for Crashes … the Paiste Signature Dark Energy Crashes are the best.
Beyond that … I have several sets of different lines … each has their place.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always been a "big ride" guy.
My 1st: 22" 2002 ride
Then around the same time: 22" Sound creation Bell ride and a 24" 602 heavy
The 602 has the wash you're talking about and a really nice bell, it was MUCH heavier (about 4000g) than the your Giant beat, but it had a lot of the same properties!
I had a really nice pre-serial 24" 602 ride, but it was disintegrating LOL Shame, too.

I won't play a ride under 22", with the exception of my 2K2 18" Giga Bell.

stuart s

Reaction score
I gone through lots of cymbals, but the Giant Beat Multis are the best I've ever heard.

I have the 16, 18, 19, 20, 24 and the brother from a different mother- the 2002 Reverend Als Big Ride (it is a bit different from the GB.)
No other brand has anything even close to the Multi's.

I'm sure the vintage ones are great too, but ive never heard them in real life other than on recordings or youtube.
Wish I could get my hands on some.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I gone through lots of cymbals, but the Giant Beat Multis are the best I've ever heard.

I have the 16, 18, 19, 20, 24 and the brother from a different mother- the 2002 Reverend Als Big Ride (it is a bit different from the GB.)

I'm sure the vintage ones are great too, but ive never heard them in real life other than on recordings or youtube.

How does the Al ride compare head to head with the 24 GB ?
I am also considering one of those ... without that (stupid, in my opinion) graphic.
My guess is it plays lighter ... but does it have enough ping and such?
Or is it too washy?

stuart s

Reaction score
How does the Al ride compare head to head with the 24 GB ?
I am also considering one of those ... without that (stupid, in my opinion) graphic.
My guess is it plays lighter ... but does it have enough ping and such?
Or is it too washy?

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know that I'll ever be ready to fork over $500 for a single cymbal, no matter how versatile, when I can get two good used ones for the same price.

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Is the "16" you mention your hi-hats?

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score

Wow. Thanks!
Sounds like the Al ride plays a bit softer and opens up a bit more.
The GB sounds more stiff and focused.
They actually sound pretty cool together.
I appreciate the video.
It really helped.

Signals

Reaction score
Sorry messed up there, I have the 15" Giant Beat Top paired with a 2002 SE bottom its incredible! But a 16" gb or 17" would be and instant buy!

I, too, have the 15, 18, 19, 20, 22 and 24 and would love a 16 or 17 to complement the set. Has anyone played around with Paiste's sound files to see what could be used as substitutes? The obvious choice would be from the 2002 line, but I haven't heard anything that fits. I think something "smoother" needs to be used. (Maybe we can get Paiste to make 16 & 17 GB's some day)

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my Giant Beat revelation about a year ago after picking out an entire set...love them. I foolishly sold the 24 not too long ago as I was playing my 22" 2002 or 22" 602 more. But I do miss it and may have to correct my err by getting another one. :cool:

Also, the classic 602s (17/19 thins) blend very nicely with the GB's.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought this 26" monstrosity thinking it was a cool novelty to have such a large cymbal until I was playing it with my Masters Extra Dry 22". No doubt, I like the Extra Dry, but am rethinking whether or not I truly need that cymbal when I have the 26" Multi.

The Multi sings, has an authoritative bell, yet in all areas of the cymbal, I can get several voices. I can get a good ping sound and it's not overtaken by the lush wash, I can crash it, I can build up to a wave of wash or go back to a defined ping. This cymbal can cover lots of territory, of course it's size could cover a few zip codes, and it's too large for many cymbal bags! You can buy a bicycle wheel bag to carry the cymbal.

I am debating whether or not the Extra Dry has a space. I am actually liking that it sings with a bit of wash. It actually reminds me of the ride cymbal Clem Burke played with Blondie, featured in Union City Blue and The Hardest Part on the record Eat To The Beat. Yes, Clem is a dyed in the wool Zilly guy, but he's still a great drummer despite that (just kidding!).

Who has had the Giant Beat Revelation?
The GB 20 is my favorite cymbal, especially as a crash. I liked it so much a short time later I purchased another. I also have the 18, and 24. The 24 is awesome, but once I heard they had a 26, I thought that would be the perfect size for me, as the 24 can get a bit too washy. It's hard for me to justify buying the 26, or any more cymbals for that matter.
Knowing I probably will end up picking one up one day, what do you do about a cymbal bag?

stuart s

Reaction score
I, too, have the 15, 18, 19, 20, 22 and 24 and would love a 16 or 17 to complement the set. Has anyone played around with Paiste's sound files to see what could be used as substitutes? The obvious choice would be from the 2002 line, but I haven't heard anything that fits. I think something "smoother" needs to be used. (Maybe we can get Paiste to make 16 & 17 GB's some day)
I have 2002's too, the "regulars" and the thins, they are awesome in their own right, but very different. Nothing really sounds like the Giant Beats, not even the 2002 Big Black Beats which I tried but I did not like the short flat sustain. From listening to recordings and youtube (I could change my mind if I had them in person), the vintage 2002's sound sound closer to the Giant Beats than the two modern ones do now, same for the 602's- the vintage were closer to the Giant Beats.

Signals

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. In keeping with the spirit of this thread, MY Giant Beat revelation came while listening to Jason McGerr's Modern Drummer Festival performance wayyy back in 2006. Those cymbals sounded soooo good, even on my puny TV speakers, that I had to have them. Actually, I was so impressed by the sound of his entire kit that I purchased the GB's and my first Ludwig kit so I could sound just like him, lol. The only thing I didn't get was his snare, which I believe was a Black Beauty at that time.

Here are some shortened videos of that performance. In my opinion, it was the simplest but best on that particular DVD.

Last edited: