Paiste Giant Beat White Label hi-hats and 2002 Black Label Medium Ride score

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The cymbal gods looked down upon me today and I was fortunate to have come across these cymbals.

First up:
15" White Label Giant Beat hi-hats. Both hats are in great condition with the white labels very readable. No cracks, keyhole, flea bites, just a beautiful patina.

Top weighs 901 grams
Bottom weighs 992 grams

Second:
20" Black Label 20" Medium Ride. This ride is also in great condition with the labels being very sharp. No cracks, keyhole, flea bites, just nice patina.

The 6 digit serial number starts with a 7 so I believe this cymbal is from 1977.

It is interesting there is a 5 stamped on the top. Not sure what that is about.

Weighs 1962 grams

A few goodies also came with these cymbals. All in great condition.
A Camco Sizzle
WFL brushes
Swivel drum key
Ludwig clutch
Bass drum spikes
Ludwig hi-hat stand with clutch

You couldn't slap the grin off of my face! :icon_mrgreen:

Attachments

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there much of a difference at all between the two?
The reissues are heavier with the bottom hat even more so.

Reissue Top weighs 949 grams and the bottom weighs 1269 grams.

I haven't had a chance to play side by side yet but John DeChristopher did a great video comparing 2 White Label sets to a reissue set.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice score. Congrats again. I found my most recent/second pair on Reverb of all places about a month ago, and couldn't believe they weren't immediately snatched up. They also have the logo intact.
Thanks. Still being able to see the labels is pretty cool. I'm hoping they don't wear off from playing or transporting.

I have a 24" White Label. The label is there but it is very faint. You have to look at the cymbal at certain angles to see it. I've had the cymbal a couple of years and the label has faded slightly during that time. I'm not sure why as I treat it very carefully. Could be wear from rubbing on a sleeve in a cymbal bag.

michiganice91

Reaction score
I hate to be a spoil sport here but I'm fairly certain those are not white label Giant Beats in the sense that they are not originals from 1967-1970. If you would humor me, please post some pics of the serial numbers. It looks like someone either ordered them with white logos or modified the black logos somehow to make them look white.

The original giant beats NEVER had the words "Top" or "Bottom" on them.

EDIT** On second thought it does look like the moon and star logos are there although the photo is low quality, this would check out as vintage. I have never seen the top and bottom logos there before so that pretty damn sweet man!

Last edited:

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hate to be a spoil sport here but I'm fairly certain those are not white label Giant Beats in the sense that they are not originals from 1967-1970. If you would humor me, please post some pics of the serial numbers. It looks like someone either ordered them with white logos or modified the black logos somehow to make them look white.

The original giant beats NEVER had the words "Top" or "Bottom" on them.

Attached is a link to others that have "TOP" and "BOTTOM" on them. These are not my cymbals. Just a reference.

Mine do not have serial numbers.

I believe mine are the real deal but I could be wrong as I'm no expert and am ready to learn.

michiganice91

Reaction score

No serial numbers.

Attached is a link to others that have "TOP" and "BOTTOM" on them.

I believe these are the real deal but I could be wrong as I'm no expert and am ready to learn.

Yessir, you are correct. Thats crazy I've seen a lot of white label GB hats and they always look like this pair:

Now I'm wondering when exactly they changed them to either include or remove those words. Very interesting indeed! Great score by the way!

michiganice91

Reaction score
If they have the moon and stars metal stamps they're undoubtedly vintage regardless of other logos or serials so that's a surefire sign.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yessir, you are correct. Thats crazy I've seen a lot of white label GB hats and they always look like this pair:

Now I'm wondering when exactly they changed them to either include or remove those words. Very interesting indeed! Great score by the way!
No biggie at all. I love learning about this kind of stuff!

I have no idea what time frame "TOP" and "BOTTOM" would have been added. Would like to know though. It would help narrow down a year. I bet someone on this forum knows.