Paiste Giant Beats?

tripp2k

Reaction score
Have these fallen out of favor? Not much discussion about them here any more and never see them in Guitar Center.

I recall I got more wash than I wanted when I briefly had a set and just stuck with my Ks.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the 24 inch ride? Or the whole line?
Not with me they didn't, and hadn't seen anyone say anything (although someone may have)
The 20 inch is my favorite cymbal, besides the 2002 15 hats. The 24 ride will wash out on ya, but it can ya a clean ride too. It can be crashed on, and has a nice dark overtone.
I like the 20 inch GB better than 19 DE, by a good amount. That's just me though. People seem to really like the DE's

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i had a full set of white label giant beats. the 20'' was special and i wanted to keep it, but i could not break up the set when i sold them.

20 - great
15's - nice
24 - ok, but never really what i expected
18 - ok

P1010001 3.JPG

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I Don t know if they hva fallen out of favour.. But my new Ludwig classic maple acquisition. I wanted a set of more classic Paistes..and I have enough 2002s .. I went with a 20" 602 medium Ride and two new 18" and 19" giant beats..
They are prettier and have more hiss ans sizzle than a 2002..
I really like them.. It's what you hear on all those old) pink Floyd records..

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had a 24” and really liked it. But I’m mostly a Zildjian man, so I ended up selling off a few things. Definitely a crash ride though.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve been pretty impressed by the new production GB’s I’ve tried at shops. Great clean sizzly sound. I didn’t buy them because I usually “need” more complex jazzy sounds, but if my band was going for more of a pop/rock vibe then I would definitely consider a full set of GB’s.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Since their relaunch in the mid 2000s, the trend has been towards drier, darker cymbals. In addition, the 2002 Blacks are another alternative in a similar timbre to the GB.

When I was looking at a 22" Ride, I was considering the GB, 2002 Black and classic 2002. I went with the 2002 because it's a stronger ride, but it still has plenty of wash and crashes well. In that size, the GB was my last choice. I would love to pick up a 20" GB. It's just an amazing sounding crash cymbal. The problem is I'd have to match it up with an 18" as well and that's $$$. I already have options in those sizes in 2002 and Signatures and the GB's are redundant.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i had a full set of white label giant beats. the 20'' was special and i wanted to keep it, but i could not break up the set when i sold them.

20 - great
15's - nice
24 - ok, but never really what i expected
18 - ok

View attachment 410523
In general, opinions of the reissues are similar. Drummers seem to love the Ride and 20" Crash in general.

stuart s

Reaction score
After seeing this thread, I posted a video of my Multi's . I used to play Custom A's and 2002's and Rude's. Still have 2002's but my Giant Beat reissues are my favorites now.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
I have both original white label &black label Giant Beats,
All sizes except for 15" black label hats,
As Bonham never played/used them,

I had a pair didn't like them,
So swapped/traded them,
I LOVE the sound of All of them,
Especially the '73 black ⚫ label 24" ride,
Played with a 2A stick,
Sounds like Bonham on "Stairway to heaven".

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have both original white label &black label Giant Beats,
All sizes except for 15" black label hats,
As Bonham never played/used them,

I had a pair didn't like them,
So swapped/traded them,
I LOVE the sound of All of them,
Especially the '73 black ⚫ label 24" ride,
Played with a 2A stick,
Sounds like Bonham on "Stairway to heaven".
I never played the vintage 24. How do they compare with the reissue?
I find them to be a lot more complex than most, if not all rides I've played. I almost feel they would be better for jazz, than rock.
The 2002 24 is a bit easier to get better stick definition, but it's also substantially brighter. The 24 GB, it all comes down to accuracy, or it will wash out. I find the same with the 2002, but a larger sweet spot. 2002 will still wash out fairly easy, if you're all over the place too.
I've found putting either on an angle facing down a bit more works better for stick definition, especially on the GB.
I can't emphasize enough how much I like that 20 inch multi GB (reissue anyway). It's nice and dark, but natural, if that makes any sence?

Latest posts