Paiste Giant Beats?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Zen, I wish I weren't color blind.
Oops. If you like I'll do you a black and white version based on symbols not color. Symbols for cymbals. :glasses8:

On the study of 602s I've got loads of data. Taking 20" as an example I've got

286 pre serial weights
43 black label weights
63 blue label weights
18 reissue weights

Most of the Blue Labels are a known model (Paperthin, Thin Crash, Thin, Medium, Medium Ride, Heavy) because the model ink is still legible. Less model ink is left on Black Labels and less again on Pre Serials. I might have enough now to do an analysis which pays proper attention to models. My own theory is that the reason for the belief in 602s getting heavier is that the further back you go the less accurate memory of weights is and the effect of model is mixed up in it. This is also why I think people believe that 602s were more variable in the pre serial period. I haven't looked at all the variation yet but the averages and ranges within the Medium Ride model go

Medium Ride
pre serial 2230g - 2486g ave 2378g n=27
black 2296g -2580g ave 2451g n=9
blue 2380g- 2502g ave 2444g n=15
reissue 2190g - 2360g ave 2325g n=8

which isn't the pattern which people might expect when they are told that "everybody knows that 602s got heavier". What I know from the data so far is that there is more variation within a production era than people gave credit for. The variation within production era might exceed the variation between eras. I still need to do the more detailed analysis, plus the analysis for every other diameter and model.

On the study of GBs I hardly have any data because I've been specialized on 602s, Sound Creations, and Trads. But I know what data is needed to do the analysis properly for GBs and we aren't there yet.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing! :laughing6:
Too funny. It gets annoying when I keep buying pink drum kits, thinking they're light grey. Seriously. I'm sticking with black kits from here on out, unless my wife is with.
Thanks for the explanation Zen! Zen, do you play fantasy football? ;) Blackjack?

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't Paiste make a multi version of the Giant Beats? I just went to their web site and see only Giant Beats and Giant Beat thins? No mention of a "multi".

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Yes non thins are the multi’s. Love my 20” & 22” multis not a fan of the 24 ride to low & washy, I had an 18 thin but it started denting on the edges, probably would like an 18 multi though. I have on order a set of 15 sound edge from DCNH but sold my 15 hats (they were ok) a little weak I thought though

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd have to disagree with the original GB's being thinner than the reissues if it was meant as far as weight. The originals varied more in weight ranges. Most of my originals past and present weighed more than reissues and the same goes for others I've seen. One of my original 24's is heavier at just over 3000 grams and the other is pretty close to what the reissues weigh. Just about every old 18" I've had is heavier than reissues and the same for go's for my 20's. If I get ambitious I'll dig out my notes with my weights.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I only have a few, but I'm up for weighing my Giant Beats if someone is collecting the info.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I'm up for collecting and analyzing and presenting the results. If anybody posts their weights here it will get added to my spreadsheet. Reporting will happen here as well as in the relevant section of the Wiki

which we are still reconstructing and extending after the original Paiste-Only Wiki was lost.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm up for collecting and analyzing and presenting the results. If anybody posts their weights here it will get added to my spreadsheet. Reporting will happen here as well as in the relevant section of the Wiki

which we are still reconstructing and extending after the original Paiste-Only Wiki was lost.
I'll start weighing my Paistes, and posting the years, models, and sizes

REF

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and got a 26 after hearing one on YT and then the Paiste website. Man Oh Man, I love this cymbal. It is LOUD. I mean, it literally drowns out everything else in the set if get into slapping its bow or edge. The stick ping is anything other than a crash-ride. Really clean and articulate definition no matter what stick I place on it. Lots of "sting" in the sound.

I need to place it with another set-up, though. It needs to be down low so it doesn't drown out everything else.

I have been looking at the 24 and 22, as well.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and got a 26 after hearing one on YT and then the Paiste website. Man Oh Man, I love this cymbal. It is LOUD. I mean, it literally drowns out everything else in the set if get into slapping its bow or edge. The stick ping is anything other than a crash-ride. Really clean and articulate definition no matter what stick I place on it. Lots of "sting" in the sound.

I need to place it with another set-up, though. It needs to be down low so it doesn't drown out everything else.

I have been looking at the 24 and 22, as well.
Geez, I can imagine. Congrats!
Paiste cymbals in general, when washed, become sound waves of awesomeness. I almost thought the 26 was a novelty, but I'm sure it's easier to get stick definition, the wall, or a massive crash. I'll watch footage of 73 Bonham, and his 2002's, or earlier GB's. Idk how he makes those seem like an 18 inch crash, but he does.
What size sticks do you use?
I've found if I want a 24 2002, or GB to behave more like a traditional ride, I'll angle it down. If I want that wash, I'll keep it about parallel to the ground.
I use American Rock Classics, with tape, as I have pretty freakishly large hands. It's about the thickest I can find before going to Marching sticks. When I play with most anything thinner, I just don't have the control.
If you could, post a pic, with an 18 inch next to it.
Great now, I'm going to start my quest lol. It wouldn't look too crazy on my 26 B/B

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score

I (and I think many others) would love it if someone gathered and curated a Paiste weights wiki! I miss the old one... Used to reference it all the time. If you're serious about it I can weigh my lot, which isn't a ton of cymbals but still like 15-16 Paistes.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I (and I think many others) would love it if someone gathered and curated a Paiste weights wiki! I miss the old one... Used to reference it all the time. If you're serious about it I can weigh my lot, which isn't a ton of cymbals but still like 15-16 Paistes.
Yes please. If you follow that link you will find that the lost P-O wiki has been reconstructed by a team of people. We were also the workers behind much of the original P-O wiki. The weights table isn't back yet but there is a link to a downloadable spreadsheet version of it.

One person had trouble with their spreadsheet opening the ODS format and I'm reminded that I meant to put up other formats. I'll get to that in a few minutes.

My goal is to have weight data nicely presented on its own, but also to integrate weight and price data into each entry. I started with a few Traditionals to check out the style

Price data wasn't allowed in the original P-O wiki because the owner didn't allow any discussion of prices. Since I took over we are allowed pricing information.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes please. If you follow that link you will find that the lost P-O wiki has been reconstructed by a team of people. We were also the workers behind much of the original P-O wiki. The weights table isn't back yet but there is a link to a downloadable spreadsheet version of it.

One person had trouble with their spreadsheet opening the ODS format and I'm reminded that I meant to put up other formats.

My goal is to have weight data nicely presented on its own, but also to integrate weight and price data into each entry. I started with a few Traditionals to check out the style

Price data wasn't allowed in the original P-O wiki because the owner didn't allow any discussion of prices. Since I took over we are allowed pricing information.
Holy crap, I didn't know about this! Super exciting. Big kudos to you and the team zenstat. I'll try to get the weights together for you in the next week or so.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Holy crap, I didn't know about this! Super exciting. Big kudos to you and the team zenstat. I'll try to get the weights together for you in the next week or so.
Of course the other minor detail is that the new wiki covers all brands not just Paiste. That has slowed me down a bit. :icon_e_wink:

There are now 3 formats for the spreadsheet of weights. Let me know if you have any problems getting one to work for you.

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
Of course the other minor detail is that the new wiki covers all brands not just Paiste. That has slowed me down a bit. :icon_e_wink:

There are now 3 formats for the spreadsheet of weights. Let me know if you have any problems getting one to work for you.
You are free to use my data, its in the video I posted a page back, you will find more stats from otehr videos I posted on that channel, I believe some PST 7's and a MasterSound S bottom, shucks, I should have weighed my Zildjian Custom A's in odd sizes before I sold them.

REF

Reaction score
Geez, I can imagine. Congrats!
Paiste cymbals in general, when washed, become sound waves of awesomeness. I almost thought the 26 was a novelty, but I'm sure it's easier to get stick definition, the wall, or a massive crash. I'll watch footage of 73 Bonham, and his 2002's, or earlier GB's. Idk how he makes those seem like an 18 inch crash, but he does.
What size sticks do you use?
I've found if I want a 24 2002, or GB to behave more like a traditional ride, I'll angle it down. If I want that wash, I'll keep it about parallel to the ground.
I use American Rock Classics, with tape, as I have pretty freakishly large hands. It's about the thickest I can find before going to Marching sticks. When I play with most anything thinner, I just don't have the control.
If you could, post a pic, with an 18 inch next to it.
Great now, I'm going to start my quest lol. It wouldn't look too crazy on my 26 B/B

I mostly use sticks in the B range, mostly Maple but, I've been experimenting with various woods, making my own sticks: everything from 7A's to 2B's. Here is a video I made when I got the 26. I didn't ride the edge because it is just so loud but, you'll get the idea.

Latest posts