Paiste Giant Beats?

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Ok guys. Here are the weights of my Giant Beats in grams. This is using a typical digital kitchen scale.

24" White Label - 3121
18" Multi reissue - 1313
15" hi-hats reissue - top 949, bottom 1269

A small sampling, but hopefully the information is useful.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Ok guys. Here are the weights of my Giant Beats in grams. This is using a typical digital kitchen scale.

24" White Label - 3121
18" Multi reissue - 1313
15" hi-hats reissue - top 949, bottom 1269

A small sampling, but hopefully the information is useful.
Looking at the link Zenstat provided for the Paiste Giant Beat information, my White Label 24" looks to be about 200 grams heavier than the reissues which is interesting.

I think my scale is "fairly" accurate and repeatable. The weight of the 24" seems reasonable since my scale gave weights for the reissue 18" multi and 15" hats that were right in the middle of the weights posted on the site.

lcondo123

Reaction score
About 15 years ago, when Paiste was about to roll out the reissues, they made a prototype 24" Ride cymbal, that weighed about ~400 grams more than the reissues currently do. The 24" multis fluctuate around ~2900 grams, but the prototypes are around 3400 grams. I love my regular 24" GB, but I want it to be a little heavier, if anyone has a prototype ride lying around, hit me up :happy7:

I keep circling around with cymbals and what I want. I always come back to Giant Beats. No matter what, nothing beats the glassiness and clarity that an original Giant Beat produces. The new reissues are great, but nothing tops the originals. I'm very very close to finally getting the money together to get myself an 18" and 20" set of White Labels, and I simply can't wait. Pairing those with my Pre-serial 18" 602 Ride, 15" black label sound edge 2002 hats, and my 24" reissue GB has me drooling at the thought of it... Now I have to clean my keyboard up!

Any Pink Floyd pre-1972 shows Nick Mason playing a full set of Giant Beats. Bonham is obviously a good example of what the cymbals sound like, but Mason shows how these cymbals can handle some softer, delicate playing, as well as the heavier-handed pounding.

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
I could never find the classic giant beats anywhere for a decent price, so I settled for the re-issues. If I want something heavier, I get out the newer 2002's. Also quite interesting is that I have a cheap 19" PST7" medium that sounds much like heavier 18" Giant Beat Re-issue.

I would love to get a hand on a classic 18" Giant Beat and compare it with the Pst7 19"meduim. I bet there wont be too much of a difference.

I do prefer the current thinner Giant Beats. Yes they are thin, but the sound is incredible. You thicken them and they will start sounding line current 2002's, which is not necessarily a bad thing .

All in all, I'm glad I did not throw away money on expensive old used Giant Beats and used the spare money to help purchasing some 2002's.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 24" multis fluctuate around 2700-2800 grams, but the prototypes are around 3100 grams. I love my regular 24" GB, but I want it to be a little heavier, if anyone has a prototype ride lying around, hit me up :happy7:
My 24" reissue is 2942 grams. From 2006. FYI...

lcondo123

Reaction score
My 24" reissue is 2942 grams. From 2006. FYI...
Thanks for making me double check. I was guessing the weights off the top of my head, looks like my estimates were lighter than actuality. I've fixed my last post. Your cymbal is right where the reissue 24" multis should be.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could never find the classic giant beats anywhere for a decent price, so I settled for the re-issues. If I want something heavier, I get out the newer 2002's. Also quite interesting is that I have a cheap 19" PST7" medium that sounds much like heavier 18" Giant Beat Re-issue.

I would love to get a hand on a classic 18" Giant Beat and compare it with the Pst7 19"meduim. I bet there wont be too much of a difference.

I do prefer the current thinner Giant Beats. Yes they are thin, but the sound is incredible. You thicken them and they will start sounding line current 2002's, which is not necessarily a bad thing .

All in all, I'm glad I did not throw away money on expensive old used Giant Beats and used the spare money to help purchasing some 2002's.

Don't forget about the 2002 thin crashes which are also very nice!

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I have a full set of 70’s black label 2002s. 15” hats, 18” & 20” crashes and a 22” ride.

I picked up an 18” & 20” GB. They sound very similar to my 2002 crashes. I dig them!

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Saw a 24" GB ride at GC....that was some large disc of metal

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I have an 18" GB multi I picked it up on the cheap without being able to play it beforehand. Turned out to be a great cymbal. I'd always liked them when I checked them out in stores.
To me it's a bit ringy for a main crash, but if I can find a quicker 17" that it pairs nicely with, it could well stay on the kit long-term.

tripp2k

Reaction score
Oops. If you like I'll do you a black and white version based on symbols not color. Symbols for cymbals. :glasses8:

On the study of 602s I've got loads of data. Taking 20" as an example I've got

286 pre serial weights
43 black label weights
63 blue label weights
18 reissue weights

Most of the Blue Labels are a known model (Paperthin, Thin Crash, Thin, Medium, Medium Ride, Heavy) because the model ink is still legible. Less model ink is left on Black Labels and less again on Pre Serials. I might have enough now to do an analysis which pays proper attention to models. My own theory is that the reason for the belief in 602s getting heavier is that the further back you go the less accurate memory of weights is and the effect of model is mixed up in it. This is also why I think people believe that 602s were more variable in the pre serial period. I haven't looked at all the variation yet but the averages and ranges within the Medium Ride model go

Medium Ride
pre serial 2230g - 2486g ave 2378g n=27
black 2296g -2580g ave 2451g n=9
blue 2380g- 2502g ave 2444g n=15
reissue 2190g - 2360g ave 2325g n=8

which isn't the pattern which people might expect when they are told that "everybody knows that 602s got heavier". What I know from the data so far is that there is more variation within a production era than people gave credit for. The variation within production era might exceed the variation between eras. I still need to do the more detailed analysis, plus the analysis for every other diameter and model.

On the study of GBs I hardly have any data because I've been specialized on 602s, Sound Creations, and Trads. But I know what data is needed to do the analysis properly for GBs and we aren't there yet.
I'm sure I'm nowhere near the first to say this but you, sir, are a wealth of valuable information. Thank you for your contribution to this forum. I'll get pages into a discussion here on cymbals and think "this is about the time that analytics cat should show up" and sure enough, you're not far behind.