Paiste, I get it Now

unicorncop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about 4 weeks into my Paiste journey and I feel like I'm starting to get it now.
I've procured 14" dark energy hats, 18" dark energy crash, and a 10" masters splash for now and I find myself seeking out cymbals to compliment them. (Ie: an 18" PST X Would sound great with this set.)

I never did this with Zildjian, instead I searched for specific sounds but never thought about my cymbals as a comprehensive set. Sounds basic and I'm sure there are Zildjian enthusiasts who think about their setup this way. However, I simply never have...possibly because (to my ear) Z cymbals are not designed as a complimentary set and didn't send me seeking additional notes to create a chord. That chord seems to be easier to hear and create with Paiste. It's a little frustrating actually because this is going to get really expensive, really quick.

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you went from Z line to the Dark Energy & Masters lines? If so, that is like driving a old 4 cylinder auto with no fuel injection and now moving to a Direct Injected V-6. Welcome aboard the Paiste Family. I made the move in '98 and I've never looked back. And keep in mind, yes you are spending more coin on Paiste, but the higher end also commands a higher resale value. So your investment should be pretty good.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agreed about resale value. Paiste has a cult like following. Also, this thread isn't getting the attention it deserves after the multipage debate that preceded it.

Heavy Beech

Reaction score
Congrats on getting into Paiste now. Love that company and what they do. They’re super dynamic and magical cymbals , the Swiss workmanship that goes into them really unlocks the potential in their alloys. Have found the Dark Energy series to be a gem in their lineup , have a Mark II 22” Dark Energy Ride that is amazing . The crashes are too.
That’s a cool thing about Paiste , in that you can take models from corresponding lines and chances of them working together is greater , as harmonically they tend to fit better . Obviously tone is a very personal choice , but they work well when putting a setup together , consistently model to model
,and they have a wide array of sound colors .

KingLudwig

Reaction score
I absolutely love my Paiste cymbals & gongs!
They're marvelous! I'm always looking for a 20" Signature Heavy Bell ride! The best bell in music!

michiganice91

Reaction score
I'm always looking for a 20" Signature Heavy Bell ride! The best bell in music!
There should be a few of those on the market at any given time. I'd be happy to help you try and locate one. After hearing that model in a 22" size I'm actively trying to pursue a custom 22" version. That thing rips!

KingLudwig

Reaction score
There should be a few of those on the market at any given time. I'd be happy to help you try and locate one. After hearing that model in a 22" size I'm actively trying to pursue a custom 22" version. That thing rips!
I would prefer a 21" version but custom orders are hit or miss with Paiste. I just recieved a 8,10 &12"
Signature mini chinas. Wait time=10 months!
The closest thing to a 22" version is the Nicko McBrain "PowerSlave" ride. And "NO" they wouldn't make that cymbal in any other size.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste are my preferred brand of cymbals . I also own some Sabian cymbals as well . They are my two preferred brands .
The 602 and Masters are my two current favourite cymbal lines from Paiste . I also have a really nice Paiste Traditonal Light ride that I recently bought .
Paiste cymbals regardless of line all work really well together . Mixing and matching cymbals from the various lines works well .

I had a full set of Dark Energy cymbals that I foolishly sold . Should have kept them as they are outstanding cymbals that just don’t get the attention they deserve .

Paiste has a habit of discontinuing some excellent lines of cymbals ( Sound Creation and Dimensions), hopefully the Dark Energy doesn’t go away .
I wish Paiste would bring back some of the sadly discontinued Traditional Models .

michiganice91

Reaction score
The closest thing to a 22" version is the Nicko McBrain "PowerSlave" ride. And "NO" they wouldn't make that cymbal in any other size.
That IS really weird since it wasn't too long ago that they actually made a 20" sig reflector bell ride model. Very odd they wouldn't make you one.

Tom Cat

Reaction score
congrats on expanding your horizons unbicorncop, after 50+yrs a dedicated zildjian player I switched to paiste.
BUT
1 huge regret... the more you play paiste you'll have it too... not switching a LOT sooner!

heavy beech: on the dark energy MKII 22" ride, an absolutely amazing ride.
foolishsly let mine go too

cinemadrummer2001

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love 18” Paiste 602 China type cymbals. Mine sounds so beautiful I play it just to hear it. Like listening to your favorite cd.
Having said that, I will say from experience that 602s pair very well with vintage A Zildjians and EAKs.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found myself gravitating toward Paiste lately. I believe it started with Bonzoleum's detailed analysis, appreciation, reviews and general hilarity on his YouTube channel. (Thank you Terry!) My first acquisition was the 20" 602 Medium Flat ride about two years ago. Then a 10" pstx Swiss splash and 14" pstx Swiss Thin crash...then a 16" 602 Thin crash, 14" Masters Dark hi hat top, a 60's 14" Sound Edge bottom. This past weekend I was sniffing around for a ride cymbal and what really surprised me was the 20" 900 series ride, I mean wow! Had no idea of the sound this ride had, I know they're a "budget" line but this one sounds extraordinarily NOT budget. They also had your classic/standard 20" 2002 I put on a stand next to it. The 900 had a little more body but still that wonderful Paiste clarity & shimmer - SOLD! Definitely keeping an eye out for all things Paiste.

Last edited:

Kevinpursuit

Reaction score
One nice thing about Paiste is each of their models are consistent in sound.
You hear a sound file, and that's pretty much what you get.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about 4 weeks into my Paiste journey and I feel like I'm starting to get it now.
I've procured 14" dark energy hats, 18" dark energy crash, and a 10" masters splash for now and I find myself seeking out cymbals to compliment them. (Ie: an 18" PST X Would sound great with this set.)
If you slip a Signauture Medium hi-hat Bottom under your Dark Energy top, you'll have a really sweet set of hats that strike a nice balance of bright and dark with a little "sparkle" in the sound.
This is the setup I ended up with, when I was developing a cymbal set for my Ludwig kit, except mine are 13's.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste are my preferred brand of cymbals . I also own some Sabian cymbals as well . They are my two preferred brands .
The 602 and Masters are my two current favourite cymbal lines from Paiste . I also have a really nice Paiste Traditonal Light ride that I recently bought .
Paiste cymbals regardless of line all work really well together . Mixing and matching cymbals from the various lines works well .

I had a full set of Dark Energy cymbals that I foolishly sold . Should have kept them as they are outstanding cymbals that just don’t get the attention they deserve .

Paiste has a habit of discontinuing some excellent lines of cymbals ( Sound Creation and Dimensions), hopefully the Dark Energy doesn’t go away .
I wish Paiste would bring back some of the sadly discontinued Traditional Models .
I was told that Dimensions was discontinued because Paiste decided to work more with Signature and B20 alloy's. Also, Dimensions sales had slowed quite a bit since their introduction.
FWIW, the crispest set of hats I ever heard were a set of 13" Dimensions Thin hats I saw back in '98 when the series was introduced.
First time I'd heard a set of hats go "crunch" instead of "chick".
Absolutely gorgeous.

michiganice91

Reaction score
I was told that Dimensions was discontinued because Paiste decided to work more with Signature and B20 alloy's. Also, Dimensions sales had slowed quite a bit since their introduction.
FWIW, the crispest set of hats I ever heard were a set of 13" Dimensions Thin hats I saw back in '98 when the series was introduced.
First time I'd heard a set of hats go "crunch" instead of "chick".
Absolutely gorgeous.
Dimensions are amazing, better than 2oo2s IMO and also more expensive and nuanced. I think they were possibly not well marketed although they had already been discontinued by the time I was heavily into paiste so i'm not totally sure of all the reasons.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty much A Paiste guy too, have many 2002s wrapped around my Red Recording customs, talk about seeing red...yowza, 602 reissues, 80s colorsound and a 22" dark metal ride they no longer make, which is killer, especially the bell. The bargain of bargains are the PST 5 and PST 7, I have a set of PST 7 and they are quite good, picked up a 20" PST5 ride and a 18" crash used for goofs, I gotta say aint nothing wrong with those cymbals, scary cheap too.