Paiste, I get it Now

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dimensions are probably my favorite line of Paiste.
Medium thin crash, power china, power splash.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've really liked the few Paiste I've had, but my problem was always they didn't seem to mix so well with the Sabians and sometimes Zildjians I had. Seeing that the $$$ required to go full Paiste was substantial, I've never made the leap. But I really like the a lot of what I am hearing, particularly the 602 ME rides.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dimensions are amazing, better than 2oo2s IMO and also more expensive and nuanced. I think they were possibly not well marketed although they had already been discontinued by the time I was heavily into paiste so i'm not totally sure of all the reasons.
They were actually created as a way to further develop B8. It was a company worker who came up with the idea of taking a disc of B8 and processing it like a Signature, which at the time was a proprietary process....so that's what you're supposed to be hearing...a B8 Signature.

michiganice91

Reaction score
They were actually created as a way to further develop B8. It was a company worker who came up with the idea of taking a disc of B8 and processing it like a Signature, which at the time was a proprietary process....so that's what you're supposed to be hearing...a B8 Signature.

My impression of dimensions is that it was an attempt to take 2oo2 alloy to its fullest sound potential. I've never heard that it was supposed to be a B8 signature, but the fact that they used the signature logo really fools a lot of people into thinking there's some signature connection.

Actually most of the techniques used to make the signature line were already used in the 3OOO line before the sig alloy even came out. If you look at 3000 lathing and hammering they're the same as signatures in the 90s.

If you look at the dimensions hammering, lathing, and shaping I don't think they share much in common with sigs personally, but I'm sure there's an argument to be made to the contrary.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

Paiste told me that was how the Dimensions came about. Whether you choose to believe me or not is irrelevant.
Your interpretation of taking the 2002 to its fullest sound potential is another way to look at it, but instead of processing the B8 disc like a 602, its processed like a Signature.
Paiste still does this.
Look at the 2002 "Big Beat" line.
Shares a lot of earmarks of the Masters line.

michiganice91

Reaction score
Mike,

Paiste told me that was how the Dimensions came about. Whether you choose to believe me or not is irrelevant.
Your interpretation of taking the 2002 to its fullest sound potential is another way to look at it, but instead of processing the B8 disc like a 602, its processed like a Signature.
Paiste still does this.
Look at the 2002 "Big Beat" line.
Shares a lot of earmarks of the Masters line.
I believe you. I just don't know if I believe whomever was representing paiste.

michiganice91

Reaction score
@Elvis I gotta give you some props here. After trying to dig and do more research I did find this small blurb from a 1999 modern drummer magazine.

For me personally, I'm not sure I find the actual sound and look of the dimensions and signatures to be too similar, but I guess if that's what Paiste claims there's some truth there. I sure would love a detailed answer, but that's like asking for the coca-cola formula or KFC recipe HAH. I still maintain there is a BIG connection between 3000s and signatures as well.

Always good to be enlightened though....so thanks for that!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.
I've heard that before about the Sig and the 3000 having a similar appearance and sound.
I guess it's just what Paiste does....Trads have a similar connection to the old Stambul line and I see a lot of Masters in the 2002 Big Beat cymbals.

Elvis

skelt101

Reaction score
Metallic ping and drier? Neat trick!
I'm not sure what you're driving at, MG. The description I provided made sense to me. To my ears, the DE has a very pronounced stick attack and doesn't sustain forever, whereas the 602 ME stick attack is not as pronounced with more spread to the wash. Perhaps you have a different way of characterizing the cymbals...? I did say "YMMV", i.e. we all hear things differently.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're driving at, MG. The description I provided made sense to me. To my ears, the DE has a very pronounced stick attack and doesn't sustain forever, whereas the 602 ME stick attack is not as pronounced with more spread to the wash. Perhaps you have a different way of characterizing the cymbals...? I did say "YMMV", i.e. we all hear things differently.
In my experience, cymbals that produce a metallic ping are not dry, but rather, ring out like a bell, roar when you play the aggressively, and have a long loud decay. As you say, YMMV!

michiganice91

Reaction score
In my experience, cymbals that produce a metallic ping are not dry, but rather, ring out like a bell, roar when you play the aggressively, and have a long loud decay. As you say, YMMV!
The DE MKII is deceptive because it's finely lathed on top which produces the metallic ping, but it's completely raw on the bottom which dries it out. It's a fairly light weight 22" ride by paiste standards which also makes it crashable, but that raw underside makes it very controllable and clear sounding. That ride truly is extremely versatile.

davidh

Reaction score
after 50+ years of all sorts I got a brand new set of 602 Modern Essentials 14" hi hats 18" and 20" - all I need

CigarScott

Reaction score
Much to the chagrin of my wallet, I've been a die-hard Paiste player since I could afford my own cymbals. Started with the mid-90's Alpha's then score some Sound Formula's on closeout and bought my Signature 13" dark crisp hats on sale, which I still use to this day.

I do agree they seem to have the best resell value, probably due to their relative scarcity compared to Sabian and Zildjian, their costs when new, and Paiste's habit of discontinuing models then they become really popular after they're no long available. If you want some of Danny Carey's cymbals, such as a 22" Novo China or Signature 22" thin china, be prepared for them to cost as much as a car payment...