Paiste Masters advice

Butch1970

Reaction score
Hey Gang!

I've had a nice 20" Dark Crash rotating on and off the LH side of my kit for a while and decided to order a 22" Dark Ride and 15" Dark Hats. These seem to be likely stablemates. Still, I'm thinking of possibly trying the 20" Dark Crash Ride in the LH role. Or maybe something else? While the 20" Dark Crash can cover light ride duties, I'm feeling like I'm wanting something that's more of a ride, but still crashes really well.

For a little background, I've played Paiste (and Z's) for a long time and have a few that I may try to mix in with the Masters stuff: 20" 602 Flat, 20" ME Crash, 15" 602 Hats.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting... In that is one of my go to set ups, all Masters. 22 Ride, 20 crash, 15 Hats although lately I'm using a 19 Masters Extra thin on the left

My only suggesting would "maybe" be a 21 Big Beat. Definitely brighter, but maybe find one a little thinner ?

Butch1970

Reaction score
@jaymandude - It's actually my plan to try to live with that setup: 15 Hats, 20 Crash and 22 Ride. That combo may just be the ticket, but you know how it goes :) When I first ordered the 20" Dark Crash I was torn a bit between that and the Dark Crash Ride, but it was actually a good crash that I needed at that moment.

I do have a 22 Big Beat that I've found to be more crash than ride. I've only tried that in a Rock context with larger 2002's, but I'll try that in the mix when the Masters Ride and Hats come in.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Masters "Blue Bird" Mellow Ride seems to fit your criteria.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Masters "Blue Bird" Mellow Ride seems to fit your criteria.
Good call! I use one as a LH ride with a 22" Dark Ride, and it crashes quite well.
MY other two LH cymbals are a 20" Dark Crash Ride and a 20" Thin.
Paiste Masters are exceptionally beautiful cymbals, best I´ve ever played.

TPC

Reaction score
I was going to suggest a BlueBird, also. Mellow, quiet, dark - a great sounding crash/ride. I'll often use it on the left opposite a 21" Masters Medium Ride (another absolutely stellar cymbal.)

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a BlueBird, also. Mellow, quiet, dark - a great sounding crash/ride. I'll often use it on the left opposite a 21" Masters Medium Ride (another absolutely stellar cymbal.)
The 21" Masters Medium isn't mentioned much on this forum but it's my favorite Paiste ride. I'm sure it would work very well with the BlueBird.

Reactions: TPC

sammy123

Reaction score
I can also recommend the Mellow Ride. It's really nice. I use it on the right side along with the Big Beat 22", which sounds quite different in character to the Masters...although pitch wise is very close the the Mellow to my ears.

I use the Masters 22" Thin as my LSR. It's awesome.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 20" paiste traditional medium light ride..covers both ride and crash really well

I dont understand what you are lacking in your 20 dark

It doesnt crash well?

Butch1970

Reaction score
My 20" paiste traditional medium light ride..covers both ride and crash really well

I dont understand what you are lacking in your 20 dark

It doesnt crash well?
The 20" Dark Crash crashes VERY WELL. It even rides nicely at low-medium volumes. I was just feeling (maybe wrongly) that I'm wanting something with a better ride to crash ratio....a bit more ride, a bit less crash. I've actually been thinking on the Trad Med Light ride, but I've been stuck on the idea of wanting a 22" in that model.

Hopefully it won't take too long for the 22" Dark Ride and 15" Dark Hats to arrive, then I can make a more informed decision;)

Thanks to everyone that's contributed thus far. I'll make sure to post back once I've gotten the set together and played them a bit. I have a feeling that it may just work out.