Paiste Masters advice

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wish they had made a 20” Masters dry flat ride.

Unless somebody knows something I don’t

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
... an update ...

I took delivery on the full set of Masters cymbals.
They are set up and I've sat with them for a full day.
15 Dark Hats
22 Dark Ride
20 Dark Crash
19 Dark Crash
18 Dark Crash

Good Grief!!!
These cymbals are unbelievable.
What I previously heard as oddness plays out as an unreal textural cushion underneath which can be raised and lowered with a simple shoulder strike.
I'm stunned.
These are some of the most perfectly balanced B20 alloy cymbals I've ever played.
I cannot believe just how off my ears were when I first messed around with that 22 ride.
Unreal.
This old dog has learned.
Understanding full well that it's always in the ears of the individual, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the 19 and how it sits within the rest of your set-up? I'm considering one as an addition to my Masters Dark set of 15" hats, 18" crash, 20" crash/ride, and 22" ride.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Understanding full well that it's always in the ears of the individual, would you mind sharing your thoughts on the 19 and how it sits within the rest of your set-up? I'm considering one as an addition to my Masters Dark set of 15" hats, 18" crash, 20" crash/ride, and 22" ride.

Tough one ... I am not sure there will be enough spread between the 19 crash and the 20 c/r.

My setup ...
the 20 Dark Crash and the 18 Dark Crash have a nice spread
the 18 Dark Crash and 19 Dark Crash have a nice spread
but my 20 Dark Crash is darker than your 20 c/r
... so I'm not too sure a 19 Dark Crash will fit as well.
It might sit a bit too close to your 20 c/r.

My 19 is to the right of my ride as the main crash, while the 18 sits center line for punctuations. The 20 sits in the left side Crash/Ride place.

If you EVER want to ship out the 20 c/r in order to change up your setup ... please shoot me a PM ... I would most likely jump at that one.

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback, particularly on the 18 and 19 working well together.

In general, I wouldn't go with this close of a pairing dimensionally, but I feel like the crash/ride has just enough of a trashy/dirty quality that sonically, the 19 would be punchier and a little brighter.

My potential left to right configuration would be - 19, 22, 18, with the 20" c/r over the floor tom.

Noted on the offer.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Masters Dark crashes are definitely lower pitched than the rides, much lower. My 20" dark crash is lower pitched than my 22" dark ride, and the 22" dark crash ride, and 20" dark ride.