Paiste Masters Thin vs Masters Swish

Bennie94

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this place. I was wondering if there are any people here who had the chance to play or own a couple cymbals from the Paiste Masters series.

I decided to get something nice for myself recently and purchased the Masters Swish. It really is an amazing cymbal that's worth the price. I like to keep my kit very minimal and as a primary ride I think I would want something darker sounding like the 22" Thin crash/ride.

I'd love to have both and maybe keep the swish as a left side ride when I want something brighter but I can't really afford that right now. I should add that I'm mainly learning to play jazz, and it's been a struggle finding the right ride for me. What do you guys think of these cymbals?

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own both cymbals, and love them. The extreme light weight of the 22 Thin makes it a little more difficult to get good stick articulation and there really isn't much of a bell sound. The crash is heavenly. With the right sticks (light) and the right touch (lighter) it can sound amazing. I wouldn't personally consider or use the Swish as a main ride, as there is even less bell sound than the 22 Thin.

After reading Joe's shining review of the Vic Firth MCJ4 maple jazz stick, I tried a pair. All my Masters cymbals really like this stick, and it's fairly large. Something smaller would give you even more control. The 24 Thin is a bit easier to draw stick and bell out of, IMO. I'd recommend the 24 to you over the 22 to go with your Swish.

Disclaimer: I am a pop/rock player who likes big cymbals. I have the 20-22-24 Thins, 19-20 Extra Thins, and the 22 Swish. I play super quietly 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Bennie94

Reaction score
I own both cymbals, and love them. The extreme light weight of the 22 Thin makes it a little more difficult to get good stick articulation and there really isn't much of a bell sound. The crash is heavenly. With the right sticks (light) and the right touch (lighter) it can sound amazing. I wouldn't personally consider or use the Swish as a main ride, as there is even less bell sound than the 22 Thin.

After reading Joe's shining review of the Vic Firth MCJ4 maple jazz stick, I tried a pair. All my Masters cymbals really like this stick, and it's fairly large. Something smaller would give you even more control. The 24 Thin is a bit easier to draw stick and bell out of, IMO. I'd recommend the 24 to you over the 22 to go with your Swish.

Disclaimer: I am a pop/rock player who likes big cymbals. I have the 20-22-24 Thins, 19-20 Extra Thins, and the 22 Swish. I play super quietly 99% of the time.
I tend to play on the lighter side and am a fan of big cymbals as well. I forgot about the 24 inch thin. That may have the dark ride AND crash sound I'm looking for, and nice stick definition. I guess I don't have to stick to the masters series, the K custom dark ride 22" sounds quite nice. But I chose the masters series because I've heard a lot of people describing them as be-all-end-all, most musical, multifunctional cymbals.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tend to play on the lighter side and am a fan of big cymbals as well. I forgot about the 24 inch thin. That may have the dark ride AND crash sound I'm looking for, and nice stick definition. I guess I don't have to stick to the masters series, the K custom dark ride 22" sounds quite nice. But I chose the masters series because I've heard a lot of people describing them as be-all-end-all, most musical, multifunctional cymbals.
In my opinion, Giant Beats are more versatile cymbals. The Masters Thins and Extra Thins happen to be my current favorite, and fit my specific musical situations better than the GB's. I did end up with a long-discontinued 21" Light Dark Ride for situations where I want more stick and bell than the Masters Thins can give me.

jaymandude

Reaction score
I love the Masters series, and have that 22 Thin you describe. But it never leaves the house. My gigs are more suited for 602's..

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I should also point out that 95% of my gigs are in ultra low volume venues and I'm using brushes or rods on everything. That's a big reason why the Thins and Extra Thins work so well for me. You can just look in their direction and they'll open up.

Bennie94

Reaction score
It'd be so much easier of my local Guitar Center carried a wider variety of cymbals. I appreciate the posts, and I'll look into the Giant Beats as well. I guess I'm a bit bummed that I spent so much on this cymbal but am not 100% stoked on it. I suppose that's the struggle of not being able to try it in person.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It'd be so much easier of my local Guitar Center carried a wider variety of cymbals. I appreciate the posts, and I'll look into the Giant Beats as well. I guess I'm a bit bummed that I spent so much on this cymbal but am not 100% stoked on it. I suppose that's the struggle of not being able to try it in person.
To me, the Swish is more of an accent/effects/second ride sound. I don't normally even have room to set it up in the venues I play. Even if I do have the room, I'll maybe only use it 5-10 times in a 3 set night. Mostly, I use the 22 Thin in the main ride and the 20 Thin on the left side. I had Stan at Pro Drum install two rivets in the 20 because I like having a riveted cymbal in the lineup, especially playing brushes so much.

Since you aren't able to try before you buy, I'd recommend looking at all the mycymbal.com (Memphis Drum Shop) videos on YT you possibly can. It'll never be exact, but they're usually pretty good about representing the actual sounds relatively accurately. Compare the Masters to the Giant Beats and also the Big Beats. I had a full set of Big Beats and if I played in louder settings, they would've been my go to set. My buddy has a set of Giant Beats that sound crazy good as well.