Paiste NEW DIMENSION Sound Creation Cymbals

michiganice91

Reaction score
I am seeking some Paiste Sound Creation New Dimension Cymbals in the following models:

16" Short Crash
18/20/22" Dark China
22" Bell Ride
others??

Looking for an 18" Bright Medium solid logo too.

I have cash or other very rare paiste cymbals to trade.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

michiganice91

Reaction score
Why ND?.....I thought the earlier ones sounded better,personally....
That's the impression I was under as well until I tried them both. I play mainly rock, accoustic, fusion, etc and not Jazz. In my opinion the New Dimension SC's support that style of music more whereas the earlier generations seem more suited for Jazz as they are more complex and nuanced. I actually prefer the cleaner, narrower, sound of the new dimension cymbals.

I will gladly trade my first and second gen SC's for new dimension if anyone has.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The ND dark ride has a nice lighter weight. The non-ND is rather heavy. Both prices seem very high to me?
Sorry for the hijack. The ND bell ride you’re looking for is the „Nico“ ride, right?

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Just a quick further hijack for Seb

The above cymbal sold for $500 after relists. That's about what I'd expect given historical prices. Individual sales can be higher or lower, but once you have enough completed sales recorded you have a reasonable expectation. Below 3000g is very unlikely as the actual weight. That would be a 1 in a 100 low weight and more like a Medium Dark Ride (2925g - 3007g). I suspect an inaccurate weight, but we can't be sure. The buyer might have been happy to pay $500 thinking it had a Medium Dark Ride weight. But we can't know that without interviewing the buyer as well as weighing the cymbal. :dontknow:

This second cymbal has been up for many relists and is unlikely to sell at that price of $1499. I quit watching it after a year or so. If it did sell at $1499 it would just be a one off anomaly like the $800 New Dimension you can see as one dot in the graph below. The occasional outlier price doesn't have much impact on the expected price range which is the colored box containing half of the distribution of prices. BTW I haven't shown Sound Creation Early (1978-1981) vs Late (1981-1984) separately because there isn't a significant difference in expected price. There isn't a significant difference in weights either. And the ones called Transitional (1976-1977) are included in Fo602 Dark Ride since that's what they are. They just have a different stamp which doesn't say Formula 602 explicitly. See this essay for why we now think that happened:

22-dr-price-by-era.png

Now back to the hunt for a 22" Bell Ride New Dimension.

Last edited: