Paiste Rides - Signature, 602 Modern essentials or others?

sillypilot

Reaction score
Hi all - I’m looking for a versatile ride in the Paiste family that can match up with Signature crashes. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
All of Paiste's top line series are great and would do the job just fine. It's only a matter of personal taste, plus the genre/band/context. If you want jazzy/dark, try the Sig Traditionals. If you want classic rock, try the 2002. Somewhere in between, try 602, 602 ME, or regular Sig. I think the 602 ME might be the most versatile, but that's not a knock on the others.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bongomania is correct. One of the great things about Paiste is that the cymbals from different series all seem to play very well with each other. You can’t go wrong with a 602 Medium in my book. Or a 2002 Ride. Or the DE MK II. etc, etc...depends upon what you want from the cymbal. You already bought great crash cymbals if you got some Signatures, so you’re off to a great start!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As the others have already said, most Paiste cymbals play nice together. However, since you’ve already got Sig crashes, you may want to check out the re-released 22” Sig Full ride.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
602 ME 22" is what I pair with my Sig Full crashes (18 & 19").

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm new to this, but if you want brighter stick, the 2002 and signatures. Warmer and blend a little better go the 602/ME route. I think of the 2002 and Sig as rock cymbals, although I've heard older jazz guys playing 70's 2002's.

jmato

Reaction score
Want to save some money? Go grab a Sound Formula ride. Very similar to the Signatures, and truly great cymbals. My 20" SF ride really cuts if you want it to, but is also very musical. All the other recommendations are spot-on too.

EDIT: Fixed to say "Sound Formula" not "Sound Creation". Brain cramp. SC's would not save you any money; quite the contrary.

Last edited:

skelt101

Reaction score
Hi all - I’m looking for a versatile ride in the Paiste family that can match up with Signature crashes. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
What crashes do you have? How do you play your rides, e.g. just keep time, crash the edge, bell accents? Are you looking for a "wall of sound", a precise ping, etc.? Sorry to answer your question with more questions... I found the "Soundroom" on the Paiste website very helpful for building sets, but also very addicting! :confused2:

sillypilot

Reaction score
I usually play my ride to keep time or bell accents. I don't like crashing rides. I currently have a Blue Bell ride that I like a lot, but want to add one more on the opposite side (I'm a lefty so I play open handed on a right handed setup) to have a ride on each side. I'm not a huge fan of really washy rides in which the stick definition gets lost.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I usually play my ride to keep time or bell accents. I don't like crashing rides. I currently have a Blue Bell ride that I like a lot, but want to add one more on the opposite side (I'm a lefty so I play open handed on a right handed setup) to have a ride on each side. I'm not a huge fan of really washy rides in which the stick definition gets lost.
Sig Dry Ride, if you can find it. I feel it’s more versatile than the heavy version. It can still be somewhat crashed, but nice stick and bell.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a left side ride with the Blue Bell on the right, here are a few suggestions.

-602 ME - I use the 24" often for rock and heavier music. Very balanced and versatile.
-DE MKII - The 22" is semi-dark, nice definition, and a great bell. A bit more dry and focused than the ME.

-For extra power and ping, the regular Sig rides and 2oo2 rides are great. Really like the Sig Dry, and 2oo2 22" Rides.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score

Thanks!
A lot depends on playing style.
The lightest Sig ride was the Dark Crash Ride with the Mellow Ride after that.
For me, the Mellow Ride worked as a really good general purpose ride, but you may find out differently.
After the Mellow was the Full Ride.
Not sure if those models exist now, but that was part of the lineup for quite a while.
Another way to look at this is that crashes should kinda stick out from the rest of the setup, since their mainly for punctuation, so if you make your ride a little darker than the crashes, it can work very nicely sometimes.
To that end, the Dark Energy cymbals would be perfect, since they're meant to be a darker line of Signature cymbals.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are the Sig Dry Rides hard to find??
They show up on eBay once in awhile. 20 or 21 versions. I have the 20, and it’s a nice one. More or less a controlled sounding ride with moderate crash ability. Has a great bell. Again, I’m mainly a Zildjian guy but I have a couple of Paiste sigs. So I do end up playing Zildjians the majority of time.

Latest posts