Paiste SCDR – Does repairing increase value?

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I came across a 22" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Ride on Reverb with some bad keyholing. Obviously, this has diminished the value of it greatly, albeit being a highly desirable cymbal.

My question is, would the value increase from where it is if it were repaired and restored? Obviously, it wouldn't return to its full value. Still, it would be interesting to try and get it back into acceptable condition either to keep for me or sell to someone that would be interested in having such a rare cymbal.

Thoughts? I'm curious what people think about this particular subject.

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
This one? https://reverb.com/p/paiste-22-soun...n=6445914847&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

That's not keyholed, that's busted to $hit, probably from the stand being knocked over, maybe more than once. To me that's stupid price for that kind of damaged cymbal.
How are you going to repair that Damage?
It is pretty busted, but keep in mind the SCDR goes for $800-1100 in good condition, so to find one even damaged at this price is pretty good. I was thinking of filing out the gouges and make a bigger rounded hole, and restoring the finish to like-new condition.

I'm thinking of it as kind of a quarantine pet project.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's a... That's not going to kill too much of the sound (may improve it ; ) if you always wanted one there it is
~~
7th picture is wrong; of a Traditional)
~

You 'could' just 'round' the teeth off :D so it doesn't dig into the sleeve (lol)
~
already 1 offer he knows what he has

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if you can find someone who can put a washer in the hole for you.
If so. Cool

Then I would offer $150.
But only if I heard it first in person and loved the sound

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
That's a... That's not going to kill too much of the sound (may improve it ; ) if you always wanted one there it is
~~
7th picture is wrong; of a Traditional)
~

You 'could' just 'round' the teeth off :D so it doesn't dig into the sleeve (lol)
~
already 1 offer he knows what he has
I know who the offer is from. ;)

It's still a little too high so I might pass on it. Very interesting considering the rarity of these cymbals. I can almost imagine the guy that finds an old classic car and fixes it up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
IF, and that's a very big "if" that was Berrios' old one, I have played it, and it sounds good. When I played it, it was on a stand with a felt, so I didn't even know about this "damage." But I sat in on a one of his gigs, and remember him having a SCDR, so I assume it was this one (unless he had more, which I doubt) and it sounded good. However, I have no idea who the seller is, and the veracity of the provenance of this cymbal.

He was a good guy and a GREAT player!
MSG

TPC

Reaction score
That’s overpriced if you ask me. I think I paid $575 for a non-ND version in near-perfect condition just a couple years back. $800-$1100 is a pipe dream.

That said, with all the metal on these things, that much missing won’t affect the sound all that much.

michaeldangelo

Reaction score
How much do the Grombels shrink the diameter of the stem hole; Do they allow a fit on cymbal stand or what
The catch with Grombals are that you remove your existing cymbal sleeve. Most of the time, you pair the Grombal with the "Cymbal Chief," which replaces your bottom felt and washer.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
It is pretty busted, but keep in mind the SCDR goes for $800-1100 in good condition, so to find one even damaged at this price is pretty good. I was thinking of filing out the gouges and make a bigger rounded hole, and restoring the finish to like-new condition.

I'm thinking of it as kind of a quarantine pet project.
- I'd view it more as a waste of money. That bell is not going to hold up and you can probably forget about selling it to anyone else. Save your money.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
O come on it's not that bad.;) not at all
no sound emanating 1/4" from stem hole that's perceptible (haha
worst part about that cymbal is chewing up cymbal stand how you compensate for that; easy vacuum hose on the stem + 20 other ways))) shave the points down on the mini-micro breaks fractures)
Plus who wants a 22SCDR anyway (;) ;)
gotta be part-maso-chist anyway) Ha~!

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of those in excellent condition, a 20"....... sold for $350 right here this past week.