Paiste series question

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
My friendly sales engineer at Sweetwater told me that he could put together a custom box set of Paiste at a good price. I am totally ignorant of Paiste except for dark, crisp hats that I played on a backline at a jam. I certainly liked them.

Big question: which series would work well in these two genres: piano trio jazz and 50s/60s pop and classic rock? The latter would be low volume.

I want to put together a box set that has 14" hats, two different rides, and a third, flat ride. I am not sure of the ride sizes. Somewhere in the 20-22 inch range. I usually mount a flat ride as my primary, right side ride.

Based on just browsing Paiste stuff online it appears (to me) that either Signature or Masters series are what I should be considering, but I am in the dark when it comes to Paiste.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just completed a session with some different cymbal setups.
For the Jazz stuff, Masters were phenomenal.
Some of the Masters also work very well for classic rock.
I‘d add a large thinner Signature crash to it for that extra punch and cut when needed.
But those will work extremely well.
For continuity … here’s one setup I used in the session.
One cut needed smaller cymbals … another needed larger.

15 Paiste Masters Dark Hats
22 Paiste Masters Dark Ride
20 Paiste Masters Dark Crash
19 Paiste Masters Dark Crash
18 Paiste Masters Dark Crash
16 Paiste Masters Dark Crash
19 Sabian Vault Holy China / 8 Wuhan Splash

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I think you'd like the Signature Traditionals, Masters, or possibly 602s if you want a cleaner sound. Lots of flat rides just released.

These would be my rough picks for what you describe, but there are so many combos that could work:
14" Signature Traditionals hats
18" or 19" Masters dark crash (you didn't mention a crash, but I love these and they're very ride-able)
20" 602 ride
21" Masters Dark Dry OR Medium ride
22" Signature Traditionals flat ride OR Masters flat ride

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 20” masters dark crash/ride is one the best cymbals I have ever heard and played. Fantastic crash at just about any volume, nice warm washy ride, and a surprisingly clear bell.

michaelg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 20” masters dark crash/ride is one the best cymbals I have ever heard and played. Fantastic crash at just about any volume, nice warm washy ride, and a surprisingly clear bell.
Interesting. I've got one and find it a very trashy sounding cymbal. Its very cool but for me I wouldn't describe it as versatile.

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the flat ride, the 602 is the Roy Haynes sound you can hear on Corea's "Now He Sings..." But I think that was an 18".

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a worthwhile thought; money down the drain; stuck with more simbols..
Or just pick a set of Signatures and pretend you like them for a season or two and go back to some old what you were using before.
It's a fleeting thing. You know what works; why mess with it. Unless nothing (it's possible..) you own works at all.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the most extreme hi end "trio" with Paiste cymbals I'm reminded of from watching on you tube 15 years ago.
Frank Gant on 602s in 1971.
I don't think this is 'the trio' you may be thinking of (or involved in) but maybe can extrapolate

listen for 10 or 15 minutes
standard 602s you can sense/hear the highs creeping in - not offensive but present

reminded; I guess later 80s 90s Billy Higgins in various trios would be another example

Last edited:

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a Paiste guy since the 80s but don’t have experience with all the series offered. Admittedly I feel Paiste, along with every other manufacturer, has entirely too many lines. But I will say that if someone held a water pistol to my head and said I could only choose one series of Paiste, it would be the Traditionals.

exliontamer

Reaction score
All the Masters & 602 stuff everyone's mentioned is great, but I wouldn't dismiss Traditionals, Giant Beat or even lighter 2002s/2002 Big Beat.

KillinBill66

Reaction score
Paiste Traditionals would make a daily treat.. probably wouldn't tire of them for a while
I agree. I'd go with something other than the Masters since Trads have more of the Paiste sound/sparkle. Assuming you are looking for something different than what you already have...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
but then again in any of this $1600-$1700 is a lot of gigs for the cymbals to (start) "paying you back"
(earn their keep)

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
but then again in any of this $1600-$1700 is a lot of gigs for the cymbals to (start) "paying you back"
(earn their keep)

... sorry Joe, I don't see this one.
We invest in our tools to get the best performance we can.
Remember, it's basically art.
Some feel comfortable creating with tin whistles while others are driven by rare trombones.
It's a very personal decision.
I've never looked at my instrument as a "cost incurred" tool.
It's just something that moves me to play and create.
If money comes into the decision ... that would be a very sour session.
Heck, I've got some VERY inexpensive MING snares (remember those!) that play great.
And I've also got some steam bent walnut snares that are considerably more expensive ... but play great.
The right tool for the job - always.
Anyway, the point is made.
We all see what we see where cost is concerned.

I will say this ... I just shelled out a wad of cash for a new esspresso machine.
Now THAT freekin thing better hang around for a while pumping out perfect cup after perfect cup ... it AIN'T musical art.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything earns it's keep. disagree with that? doesn't seem so

digovii

Reaction score
masters and signature traditionals are right up your alley

Reaction score
Mike,
As a proud 20 year + Paiste Endorser, who has played them all, here are (in no specific order) my jazz suggestions:

602's
14" medium hats
19" Medium (LSR)
22" Thin crash w rivets (as a main ride)
20" or 18" Thin 602 Flat (just reissued!!!!)

Traditionals
22" Traditional Light
18" Traditional Thin Crash (or 18" Giant Beat Multi)
14" 602 Medium hats or 14" Masters Thin Hats

Masters
22" Masters Dark Ride
20" Masters Dark Crash Ride (LSR)
or
19" Master Dark Crash (LSR)
or
20" Thin w/ Rivets (LSR)
14" Masters Thin Hats

And (believe it or not) a nice all around set is:

Giant Beat
20" Multi (ride)
18" Multi (crash)
14" Hats

The 20" 602 Thin Flat sounds GREAT with rivets!
I keep my 20' 602 thin flat riveted with a cluster of 3, and my 18 unriveted.

Most of the above can be mixed and matched, I have NEVER had a problem mixing any of the Paiste series'.

MSG

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think you'd like the Signature Traditionals, Masters, or possibly 602s if you want a cleaner sound. Lots of flat rides just released.

These would be my rough picks for what you describe, but there are so many combos that could work:
14" Signature Traditionals hats
18" or 19" Masters dark crash (you didn't mention a crash, but I love these and they're very ride-able)
20" 602 ride
21" Masters Dark Dry OR Medium ride
22" Signature Traditionals flat ride OR Masters flat ride
I didn't mention crashes because I don't use crashes. Hats and rides only. Up to three rides, one which will be a flat.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
(earn their keep)
Not looking at it that way. I am at the point where I'll probably do four-to-six gigs a year. I am still working (IT consultant) and will have no problem with the cost, especially since in addition to that salary I also get social security and navy retirement. The cost will come out of my monthly mad money allowance I set aside to indulge myself.