Paiste series question

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mike,
As a proud 20 year + Paiste Endorser, who has played them all, here are (in no specific order) my jazz suggestions:

602's
14" medium hats
19" Medium (LSR)
22" Thin crash w rivets (as a main ride)
20" or 18" Thin 602 Flat (just reissued!!!!)

Traditionals
22" Traditional Light
18" Traditional Thin Crash (or 18" Giant Beat Multi)
14" 602 Medium hats or 14" Masters Thin Hats

Masters
22" Masters Dark Ride
20" Masters Dark Crash Ride (LSR)
or
19" Master Dark Crash (LSR)
or
20" Thin w/ Rivets (LSR)
14" Masters Thin Hats

And (believe it or not) a nice all around set is:

Giant Beat
20" Multi (ride)
18" Multi (crash)
14" Hats

The 20" 602 Thin Flat sounds GREAT with rivets!
I keep my 20' 602 thin flat riveted with a cluster of 3, and my 18 unriveted.

Most of the above can be mixed and matched, I have NEVER had a problem mixing any of the Paiste series'.

MSG
Thanks. I think I'll focus on masters series (sans crashes used as crash/rides.)

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I will say this ... I just shelled out a wad of cash for a new esspresso machine.
Now THAT freekin thing better hang around for a while pumping out perfect cup after perfect cup ... it AIN'T musical art.
Trying out Paistes is an indulgence since I have other favorites; an espresso machine in my house is a necessity. :)

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I agree. I'd go with something other than the Masters since Trads have more of the Paiste sound/sparkle. Assuming you are looking for something different than what you already have...
Interesting point. I think I better try some in person. Not sure of how ethical that would be since I am going to purchase from Sweetwater. Need to ponder that.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out "crashes" necessarily. My 19" Dark Energy Crash is my most used left side ride.

Oh yeah - don't rule out Dark Energy's!

Reaction score
Interesting point. I think I better try some in person. Not sure of how ethical that would be since I am going to purchase from Sweetwater. Need to ponder that.
Yes always ESSENTIAL (!!!!!!) to play a cymbal in person. But I will say that the Paiste sound files on their site are VERY good and very representative.

MSG

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
My friendly sales engineer at Sweetwater told me that he could put together a custom box set of Paiste at a good price. I am totally ignorant of Paiste except for dark, crisp hats that I played on a backline at a jam. I certainly liked them.

Big question: which series would work well in these two genres: piano trio jazz and 50s/60s pop and classic rock? The latter would be low volume.

I want to put together a box set that has 14" hats, two different rides, and a third, flat ride. I am not sure of the ride sizes. Somewhere in the 20-22 inch range. I usually mount a flat ride as my primary, right side ride.

Based on just browsing Paiste stuff online it appears (to me) that either Signature or Masters series are what I should be considering, but I am in the dark when it comes to Paiste
Masters would work great.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying out Paistes is an indulgence since I have other favorites; an espresso machine in my house is a necessity. :)

Same on the espresso machine. The wife would set me up a cot in the garage if I didn't have a reliable machine.
I was using a Rocket machine for years ... pulling my own shots.
It got damaged in shipping when it went in for servicing.
I ended up having to replace it.
Decided to give the SuperAutomatics a shot and went with the Jura Giga 6.
This machine is phenomenal ... luckily it doesn't cook and do dishes or I'd be out a "husband" gig.

*barista oatmilk in the container

IMG_0650.jpeg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out "crashes" necessarily. My 19" Dark Energy Crash is my most used left side ride.

Oh yeah - don't rule out Dark Energy's!

Same on the espresso machine. The wife would set me up a cot in the garage if I didn't have a reliable machine.
This machine is phenomenal ... luckily it doesn't cook and do dishes or I'd be out a "husband" gig.

View attachment 574582
Wow, $6K. Maybe I should scrap the Paiste idea and put it towards a Jura 6. Seriously. The Paistes would only satisfy my curiosity; the Jura 6 would truly enhance the pleasures of life. I know that comes across as blasphemy on a drum forum, but a person's priorities come first. Thanks for posting this.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score

View attachment 574582
Now you have me seriously considering this:

GMFrancis

Reaction score
The Masters series are great cymbals , I have a few of those and some signatures too. I‘ve been a real Paiste fan for a long, long time and my advice would be to check them all out. The series you may be surprised at are the Giant Beats. They’re marketed ostensibly as “classic vintage rock” cymbals as John Bonham used them early on before moving to 2002. However I think they are an absolute killer all round cymbal. My first set back in the mid 70’s were 18”,20” &14” HH. I used them in a jazz trio & quintet. A classic “pop” band doing covers , a proper dance orchestra and later for a full on rock band. They were great.
I’ve currently got 16” HH, 18”, 20” thin and a 24” Multifunction and I use them in a classic rock band. They really sound fantastic at ever volume level.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The Masters series are great cymbals , I have a few of those and some signatures too. I‘ve been a real Paiste fan for a long, long time and my advice would be to check them all out. The series you may be surprised at are the Giant Beats. They’re marketed ostensibly as “classic vintage rock” cymbals as John Bonham used them early on before moving to 2002. However I think they are an absolute killer all round cymbal. My first set back in the mid 70’s were 18”,20” &14” HH. I used them in a jazz trio & quintet. A classic “pop” band doing covers , a proper dance orchestra and later for a full on rock band. They were great.
I’ve currently got 16” HH, 18”, 20” thin and a 24” Multifunction and I use them in a classic rock band. They really sound fantastic at ever volume level.
Back around 2005 or so I purchased a 24" GB. It was an OK cymbal, but had a distinct hum, so I sold it and decided that Paiste was not for me back then. On the other hand, I knew that Paiste was doing many things right considering the large number of jazz drummers (including Joe Morello) who endorsed them.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now you have me seriously considering this:

That is a sweet machine.
Not kidding ... these Jura's are extremely adjustable.
For instance - my cappuccino is precisely adjusted
the milk amount, temp, and froth thickness.
the bean grind, strength, shot amount, and temp.
the total amount in order to fit "my" cup.
And every time I make it, it comes out EXACTLY the same.
Every shot is precise and to my specifications and even my oatmilk is heated and frothed perfectly.
If you do whole cows milk ... buckle up.
These things rock that level of froth - microbubbles and thick!
The flavor of the shot is incredible.
That caramel pull you see in the video ... THAT's what comes out of these.
And cleanup is a serious breeze.
I spend a couple minutes each evening cleaning it.
Most of it is automatic.
On Sunday, I run the tray through the dishwasher.
No trouble at all.
Amazing tech.
I'm kicking myself for not buying into this sooner.
I spent a lot of years pulling shots ... some good, some not ... and a TON of cleanup to go with 'em.
Let me know if you decide to take the plunge.
It really is an incredible machine.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
That is a sweet machine.
Not kidding ... these Jura's are extremely adjustable.
For instance - my cappuccino is precisely adjusted
the milk amount, temp, and froth thickness.
the bean grind, strength, shot amount, and temp.
the total amount in order to fit "my" cup.
And every time I make it, it comes out EXACTLY the same.
Every shot is precise and to my specifications and even my oatmilk is heated and frothed perfectly.
If you do whole cows milk ... buckle up.
These things rock that level of froth - microbubbles and thick!
The flavor of the shot is incredible.
That caramel pull you see in the video ... THAT's what comes out of these.
And cleanup is a serious breeze.
I spend a couple minutes each evening cleaning it.
Most of it is automatic.
On Sunday, I run the tray through the dishwasher.
No trouble at all.
Amazing tech.
I'm kicking myself for not buying into this sooner.
I spent a lot of years pulling shots ... some good, some not ... and a TON of cleanup to go with 'em.
Let me know if you decide to take the plunge.
It really is an incredible machine.
I am normally not up early enough to have cappuccino; espresso, on the other hand is what keeps me going :) I have a modest, shot puller that is very consistent. My two secrets are Illy and using Aqua Panna for water. The latter may seem like an insane expense, but I buy it by the case and it is essential to a perfect espresso (to my taste anyway.)

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am normally not up early enough to have cappuccino; espresso, on the other hand is what keeps me going I have a modest, shot puller that is very consistent. My two secrets are Illy and using Aqua Panna for water. The latter may seem like an insane expense, but I buy it by the case and it is essential to a perfect espresso (to my taste anyway.)

Very cool.
We have a roaster down the road where we get our beans.
He does great work.
Our water is private here in the Village ... love the taste.
So, I get it.
Quality ingredients in will give you the best chance at a quality drink.
I wish you the best on this one.
Again, message me if you do decide to go down that path.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 574582
Looks great @Mcjnic. I had a Jura for years and loved it. Went to a Nespresso machine about 10 years ago and got hooked on the convenience and consistency. And last year my son gave me a newer version Nespresso machine and now I’m really hooked. Perfect espresso every time. Clean and simple too.

Congratulations and enjoy!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
My current machine is a modest (but reliable and consistent) Gevi 20 bar model.

That's a cool machine!
Love the art deco stylings.
And it looks like it can pull some very consistent shots.
Nice.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
That's a cool machine!
Nice.
That's a cool machine!
Nice.
I was happy with it up until you posted your Jura Giga 6 :) I checked out yours and am now seriously considering getting one. I'll probably go with the factory refurbished model, which is easily within my budget (I don't purchase anything but cars unless I can pay cash.)

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes always ESSENTIAL (!!!!!!) to play a cymbal in person. But I will say that the Paiste sound files on their site are VERY good and very representative.

MSG
Accurate sound files are vital, but stick feel is almost as important as sound in a ride cymbal and you can't tell about feel without playing the cymbal yourself. Out of the dozen cymbals I've purchased over the last 7 years the only one I let go of was a ride that just played too stiff under my stick. I liked the sound but couldn't play the damn thing, so out it went.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Accurate sound files are vital, but stick feel is almost as important as sound in a ride cymbal and you can't tell about feel without playing the cymbal yourself. Out of the dozen cymbals I've purchased over the last 7 years the only one I let go of was a ride that just played too stiff under my stick. I liked the sound but couldn't play the damn thing, so out it went.
Thanks for bringing that up. You are 100% correct and it is a factor that is too often overlooked.