Paiste series question

Butch1970

Reaction score
You might find a mix of Masters, Trads and 602's (and maybe even GB's) to work for you. They're different alloys, but still have the "Paiste thing" going on based on the lathing and some of the hammering.

- I just bought a 22" Trad Light Ride from Dustjacket that I think covers a lot of bases. Rides and crashes. Nice bell.

- The Dark Crisp Hats probably get away from the Jazz thing a bit. Trads maybe a bit closer. 602's even closer. Masters Dark are nice but a bit thinner.

- The 20" Masters Dark Crash works very nicely as a LH ride. 18 GB Multi also worth checking out.

- Plenty of Paiste flats to choose from at the moment. 602's are classic but there's been good reports on the others.

- I just picked up a 22" Masters Swish that seems really nice. Should pair well with either the 22" Trad or Masters Dark Ride

* Currently on the stands: 15" Trad Med Light Hats, 20" Masters Dark Crash Ride, 22" Trad Light, 22" Masters Swish

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, I use 2002’s and 602 Modern Essentials.

Philaiy9

Reaction score
I love my Giant Beat set. I pretty much use them for everything (occasionally swapping out for vintage Zildjians). The 24" can be washy but I find with a little tape on the bottom it makes for a great jazz cymbal. It can also handle rock of course, just don't expect that heavy anvil ping sound.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, $6K. Maybe I should scrap the Paiste idea and put it towards a Jura 6. Seriously. The Paistes would only satisfy my curiosity; the Jura 6 would truly enhance the pleasures of life. I know that comes across as blasphemy on a drum forum, but a person's priorities come first. Thanks for posting this.
Well, yes, but Paiste Masters probably won't contribute to elevated blood pressure and concomitant stroke risk.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well, yes, but Paiste Masters probably won't contribute to elevated blood pressure and concomitant stroke risk.
... nor will the Paiste Masters contribute to near hourly pleasure every day during my waking hours :) When your time is up, it's up. Enjoy as much as possible before that terminal event. A cymbal is a pleasure only when you are playing it. Espresso is an essential of life LOL.

snipsnare

Reaction score
My friendly sales engineer at Sweetwater told me that he could put together a custom box set of Paiste at a good price. I am totally ignorant of Paiste except for dark, crisp hats that I played on a backline at a jam. I certainly liked them.

Big question: which series would work well in these two genres: piano trio jazz and 50s/60s pop and classic rock? The latter would be low volume.

I want to put together a box set that has 14" hats, two different rides, and a third, flat ride. I am not sure of the ride sizes. Somewhere in the 20-22 inch range. I usually mount a flat ride as my primary, right side ride.

Based on just browsing Paiste stuff online it appears (to me) that either Signature or Masters series are what I should be considering, but I am in the dark when it comes to Paiste.
Make sure not to sleep on the 602 line. they sound really great!

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned a LOT of Paiste cymbals over the years and have been able to change my Paiste mindset from quantity to quality. I have decided that my ears preferred Paiste’s darker sounds more these days , so I built a set up from Traditionals , Masters and Modern Essentials . I gravitate between two rides 22” Traditional Light ride and the 22” 602 ME ride . Both are very versatile rides . They can work for a number of different genres .
For hihats I went with the 15” 602 ME hats - maybe the nicest hihats I have ever used and I get so many compliments on them .
My crashes are a 17” Traditional thin and 20” Masters Dark Crash ride . Both of these can cover any conceivable gig I want to play .

I will do many gigs with just the 22” Traditional Light ride ,20” Masters Dark Crash ride and 15” 602 ME hats . This setup is fun to play .

One of the things I love most about Paiste is how well each of their lines play together.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
For the genre that the OP is speaking of, I would be looking at Paiste Formula 602s. These are the sweetest, cleanest, clearest, most shimmering sounding cymbals every made, in my opinion. They also match the sonic properties for the era of the music that he is playing. I find that it's very hard to top the sound of classic Paiste Formula 602s at any price. They are simply gorgeous sounding cymbals.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
For the genre that the OP is speaking of, I would be looking at Paiste Formula 602s. These are the sweetest, cleanest, clearest, most shimmering sounding cymbals every made, in my opinion. They also match the sonic properties for the era of the music that he is playing. I find that it's very hard to top the sound of classic Paiste Formula 602s at any price. They are simply gorgeous sounding cymbals.
I also perform piano trio stuff, and I am not sure brighter cymbals would work there.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was happy with it up until you posted your Jura Giga 6 :) I checked out yours and am now seriously considering getting one. I'll probably go with the factory refurbished model, which is easily within my budget (I don't purchase anything but cars unless I can pay cash.)

Watching an episode of “Bull” and saw this … they use a sweet Jura machine on the set.

A72545F9-85D5-40D6-ACFD-1B7AE68EEAD7.jpeg