Paiste Sig Trad Medium Light Hats

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these (used) at the CT Drum Show. Wow! These hats might be the best I have ever played. I don’t know much about them at all - I do know they are the sound I think about when I consider the “perfect” hi-hat all around sound, if you know what I mean. Anyone else playing these?

TomPotti

Reaction score
Do you also use traditional crashes/rides? Any stick recommendations to use with them?

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I play them with Giant Beats (18 & 20), Masters Medium & Dry rides, Masters Swish, And even with the Nicko McBrain Bell Ride. As for stocks, either the Peter Erskine Big Band or Ride stick, it my favorite - Regal Tip Billy Martin sticks (wh

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a set - love 'em. For acoustic jazz, I tend to find my 15" pre-serial 602s are a better compliment to my Traditionals rides, but the Trads are nice.

While I like them the way they came from the factory, two things:

1) I put four rivets in the bottom cymbal of my set. As is so often the case with a riveted bottom hi-hat cymbal, the effect is subtle - with these, almost like EQ-ing the set to add just a bit of high end to the sound. I don't notice them when they're there, but I notice their absence if I take them out.

2) I remain surprised that (AFAIK) Paiste never offered a thinner version of the Trad hats - only the "medium light" version. As I've mentioned previously on this forum, if I ever get some money to play with I'm going to grab another set of Trads and send them off to a cymbalsmith to have them thinned down just a bit.

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I have a pair, great hats. I use them for jazz along with a 18" pre-serial Formula 602 Medium and a 20" Signature Rough Ride. Like all my other Paiste HHs they are extremely responsive and sensitive. I particulary like the slight trashiness they have, a perfect fit for the strange beast that is the Rough Ride. :)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great, now I got to find a set of em. I actually passed on them a few times for other Paiste. I don't regret the choices, but now I have doubles, and triples of 2002's, and Sigs (I love the Full crashes) than again, I love em all.
Although I've yet to try the trads, if I could only use 1 cymbal for crashing, and ride, it would be my pre serial 602's 18 inch.
I didn't know they stopped making them. That's making me want to get them even more.
I really think that ride would make an amazing, "Rock crash". Idk if you ever played on a 20 inch medium from the 70's, but they both will make a statement

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I've got a pair. I like them. Not sure if they are my most favorite hats. And I'm with James. They seem a little more meaty than fits with the light Jazz style I associate with Trads. That does make them more flexible for use in other musical styles. The top is a little heavier than what I call Light and the bottom is a bit heavier than what I call Medium. Perhaps they were named for just the weight of the top which is Medium Light. :dontknow: I wouldn't get them lathed down to lighten them even though I have been known to be a bit of an experimenter on cymbals.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they were named for just the weight of the top which is Medium Light. :dontknow: I wouldn't get them lathed down to lighten them even though I have been known to be a bit of an experimenter on cymbals.
FWIW, my 14" Trads: 900g/1212g. (I just happen to have them handy - they're going out on my next gig.)

As an aside: my 724g pre-serial 602 14" on top with the 14" Trads 900g "top" serving as the bottom cymbal? Lovely for acoustic jazz. (I tried this after noticing that the Trads top was in the same general weight class as my various pre-serial 602 bottom cymbals.)

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
FWIW, my 14" Trads: 900g/1212g. (I just happen to have them handy - they're going out on my next gig.)

As an aside: my 724g pre-serial 602 14" on top with the 14" Trads 900g "top" serving as the bottom cymbal? Lovely for acoustic jazz. (I tried this after noticing that the Trads top was in the same general weight class as my various pre-serial 602 bottom cymbals.)
Mine are 904g / 1192g. I've got pair of Pat. Pending 14" Sound Edge hats which are 875g / 975g. No light tops among my Paiste cymbals. I do have a home made pairing of 60s A Zildjians which are 732g / 1120g. The fondness I have for those tells me I would like a top in that sort of range for Paiste hats as well.