Paiste Sound Edge shootout

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just not a Paiste guy, they all sounded kinda bright and clangy to me, which I'm sure is great in a mix. I just feel like my Zildjians are more well rounded...

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
was expecting more from the Giant Beats; maybe some long unheard funky quirk; but no..
2oo2s bout took the cake for me-if you're gonna go Paiste..

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! Hadn't seen that. I'm curious as to the weight of the SE GB bottom or if it's just the same as the usual GB bottoms. I've always had good luck with a 2002 SE or another heavier 15" Paiste under a Giant Beat top hat. I played 15" GB hats exclusively for years until I tried the 2002 and 602's, so I'm not surprised to prefer them in this video even with the GB's being an SE model. I'd still be interested in trying them in person.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That video is really well made. So useful. I love it when something like this is executed so well.

I’m leaning towards the 2002’s in this comparison. They seemed to excel in each type of sound he played. Where the others may have excelled at certain types of sounds, but not others. i.e. I think the 2002’s sounded smoother on the half open sound than the 602’s did - and that was pretty surprising to me.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Great video!

Didn't realize you could special order a GB SE! Very cool. I have the 15" 2002 SEs and the regular 15" GBs and have wondered why they haven't offered a GB SE as a mainstream option. From this video, I prefer the 2002. They've been my go-to hats for many years. I'll occasionally use the GBs if I'm playing a small room or sometimes in the recording studio. I'm kinda digging the GB SE, though...a close second for me.

Representing the 2.3%!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm glad they started making the GB SE's. The 602's sound very good, and he describes them very well. In this order to my ear (it's also different, cause I'm not playing them)
But.
15 2002's by a good margin
602's
GB''s were a bit disappointing. In this video anyway.
I'd like to hear the 2002 bottoms, with the 602 top.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great video!

Didn't realize you could special order a GB SE! Very cool. I have the 15" 2002 SEs and the regular 15" GBs and have wondered why they haven't offered a GB SE as a mainstream option. From this video, I prefer the 2002. They've been my go-to hats for many years. I'll occasionally use the GBs if I'm playing a small room or sometimes in the recording studio. I'm kinda digging the GB SE, though...a close second for me.

Representing the 2.3%!
Have you ever tried the 15" GB top over the 2002 SE botom?

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....

I guess he didn't have any sticks with tips on them? All slosh and shoulder.

But maybe that was part of the point?

Agree that the demo was well done and a great comparison. Should be standard procedure for cymbal comparisons. Just wish they added some 16th note patterns etc.

Last edited:

jmato

Reaction score
I play GBs on all rock gigs, and just ordered the 15" GB SEs. Will report on them once received. (And I also will likely have my original 15" GB hats up for sale soon.)

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play GBs on all rock gigs, and just ordered the 15" GB SEs. Will report on them once received. (And I also will likely have my original 15" GB hats up for sale soon.)
It would be great if you could do a side by side comparison video.

jmato

Reaction score
It would be great if you could do a side by side comparison video.
That would be helpful, I agree. I don't have that technology beyond an iPhone unfortunately. I'd be happy to provide the cymbals if anyone local to me has the tech and wants to produce one.

Burps

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....

I guess he didn't have any sticks with tips on them? All slosh and shoulder.

But maybe that was part of the point?

Agree that the demo was well done and a great comparison. Should be standard procedure for cymbal comparisons. Just wish they added some 16th note patterns etc.
I was disappointed too. I rarely play my hats like that. Wish he had done some stick tip playing, for a little while at least. That's where I think sound edge hats sound their best.

stevil

Reaction score
Cool video, thanks for sharing. I would've appreciated a room-mic comparison. The close-mic/mixing leaves me wondering if the brighter hats are overpowering in the room. But I tip my hat to DCP. Their Youtube channel continues to be informative and give me GAS.

stuart s

Reaction score
Love Soundedges, have the 14" Signature- articulate , loud and piercing as heck! , the 15" 2002 SE's- best hats ever made, and a PST7 meduim over a Zildjian S Mastersound bottom- a very unique B8/B12 stunning set sounds like nothing ever heard !

bubo

Reaction score
Mongrel: "Have you ever tried the 15" GB top over the 2002 SE botom?"
Heartbeat: "Yes. That combo sounds a bit brighter than the GB SEs here, but not quite as balanced, if that makes sense."
Mongrel: "Yes, makes total sense. I enjoy swapping hats out to see what happens."
:dontknow:

I play a 15" GB Top over a 15" Black Label 2002 SE Bottom for quite a while due to the fact that i broke the 2002 SE Top and got the GB Top single for peanuts... :)

My impression is the GB Top made the 2002 much darker or washier or whatever you wanna call it, yeah not as balanced might be another fact, but i like it very much for the lower frequencies compared to the pure 2002 combo.
Especially when played half or full opened -and my bandmates like it either. :director: