Paiste Sound Edge shootout

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Wow I have the 15” SE in 2oo2’s & 602’s I did see that DCP recently had a set of 15” GB SE but I didn’t go for it figuring I had all bases covered but now wish I did. I think all the 15” SE sets sound great and prefer the 602’s at home for their sensitivity but for loud gigs would no doubt use the 2oo2’s

jmato

Reaction score
LOL. I have them, they look good, and I have been traveling for work a ton. I have not had a chance to play them yet, which is quite frustrating (as you can surely imagine). Will let you know, I assure you.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
Can the 15” SE GB’s just be special ordered any time? I kinda thought Paiste is a pita about that

Bonzo442

Reaction score
I just called DCP they’re ordering 12 more pairs of the GB’s so I put a 20% deposit on a set. No ETA at this time but the sales guy said he would try and see if there is one and let me know which I’ll pass on.

jmato

Reaction score
My travels ended for now, I finally got the chance to play the 15" GB SE's in rehearsal last night. Here are my impressions:

First, they are lighter than I expected. I need to weigh them to be certain, but they both seem lighter than my other 15" GBs, especially the top.

Second, they look just like my other GB hats, except for the small "prototype" black label near the bell.

I found them to be easy to play. By that I mean, rebound was amazing, and they just felt responsive. There are probably better adjectives for this in drum magazines but I hope you know what I mean.

Sound was what I expect from Paiste. Bright and shimmery when played open. The loud "chick" one would expect from a Sound Edge. Closed, they had a good, loud click. Close them hard and they choke, so if you are someone who presses hard on the hi hat pedal, these may not be for you (unless that is the sound you want). They really shine when closed loosely and allowed to wash - bright and perfectly "sizzly". They cut really, really well.

Our bassist, who also plays drums, commented on how much he liked them. I also really, really like them. They are keepers for certain.