Paiste sound formula

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
What’s the scoop on sound formulas? From what I’ve read so far, they were pro level and priced up there in 2002 territory ..
I found a pearl export kit with SIX sound formula cymbals on it for cheap.. and want to scoop it up just for the cymbals and sell the drums off.
Still not sure of all the sizes but I wanted to get some ideas on their soind.
I have a paiste signature 16 (17?)” crash which I LOVE and just got a 12” signature splash. I’m really liking the sound of them and considering changing my whole setup to paiste

Attachments

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh MAN!!!
Those Frankenstein logo SF‘s are phenomenal cymbals!
They are Signature alloy with modified lathing and hammering. Unreal crashes and hats.
I ran a set of these for years on my studio and live kits. Just incredible cymbals.
If you buy the kit and decide you don’t like the cymbals and want to part with them ... you will have zero trouble locating buyers ... I would be one interested party for sure.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are a little more funky than the Sigs. I'd call them a bit harsher with a more metallic sound, not as smooth and mellow as sigs. They work really well for fusion, progressive. But can do ok in any environment. I have a set of 14 hats, 16,18,20 that I built last year by being pretty demanding on condition - and still paid $575 for the group. Figure hats and larger sizes are $150+ if nice. If superbly mint they can bring another 10-25%. They don't fetch as much as Sigs....but more around what 2oo2's bring. The hats and 16" crashes seem to show up often enough. The 18 and 20 crashes are fairly elusive. The 20's often show up as Power Rides. Regardless of size and weight, great cymbals, and always someone is looking for them. It's always great finding a cheap kit with killer cymbals.

Last edited:

jmato

Reaction score
I have several. They are great rock cymbals. I love my 20" ride - it cuts big time without losing musicality. Good luck!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Frankenstein logo thin crashes & splashes are magical. I preferred them to the Signatures. A couple years ago I sat in on a guy’s kit who had a 20” power ride and 14” sound edge hats (also Franken-logo SF’s) and I really enjoyed them too.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I have a dry ride that I like a lot. I picked up an 18" crash, can't recall the model on here that I didn't like at all. Didn't even compare to my Sig's.
The seller has it listed for what was a reasonable price for a little while, do I think they can be hit or miss as far as quality and value.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great cymbals. I have owned the frankenstein and round logo styles. Very glassy/shimmering and bright. The 18" Thin Crash is beautiful.

I have been using a round logo 14" "medium-heavy" bottom hat with a 602 Classic Medium Top. Best hat combo I have for jazz & lighter settings. Mics love them!

sammy123

Reaction score
Bright and shimmery. The medium heavy hats are my favorite. They're all great though.

I have the following.

14" medium/heavy hatsround logo
15" thin crash round logo
18" full crash round logo
14" full crash franken logo