Paiste Suggestions want to add another crash

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, I did a thing over the weekend. I bought a complete set of Paiste cymbals ...this is a huge thing for me as I am primarily a Zildjian guy and older and stuck in my ways lol. Set up consists of a 21 DE ride Mark 2 , 22 Masters Swish , 17 & 18 Signature thin crashes and 15 DE hi hats Mark 1. I originally had another Sig thin 20" crash in the deal but the hats came in unforseen on Friday so I tried them and ditched the 20, the three Sig thin crashes were similiar voices, albeit different pitches. After a couple hours of playing I've determined that I want a third crash 18 or larger but I'm unsure of which model to consider there are so many! I don't gig so for the sake of the discussion let's say Im playing Blues and Rock. What model and size crash would you add if you were making the decision and why? Also of note, I will be adding a 21 Masters Dark Dry ride to the Paiste bag. The two rides are different enough and amazing enough to my ear to warrant the purchase. Thanks as always for any and all opinions. Mike

Last edited:

stuart s

Reaction score
20" Giant Beat Multi, no question, wait till you hear it!!

Coming from Zildjian, you will be surprised. To me all the Giant Beats sound better than the Paistie B15 or B20 counterparts.

TPC

Reaction score
GB's and BB's are certainly very nice. But I'd suggest something that contrasts more with the Sig Thins. GB's, BB's, Sig's (and 2002's, 602's, etc.) are all very "open" and "wet" sounding. You've got the open/wet sound covered already.

To that end, my suggestion would be something a bit drier and funkier - a 19" DE Crash.

Or, if you're feeling very adventurous, a 20" or 21" DE Light Dark Ride. These "Rides" make outstanding big, dark, dry crashes.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, 20 inch multi, or any of the Fulls, 18 or larger. I know you're looking for Sigs, but the 2002's are just as amazing.
The Big Beat 2002's are excellent as well, but of all the Sig crashes, nothing beats the Full imo

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dark Energy crashes are awesome.
I have a couple. For whatever reason, the 19 DE isn't a cymbal I use. The 17 sounds amazing. It might be i don't like it, as much as it doesn't sound great to me in my mix.
I may try going with a 3 crash set up. 20 GB Multi, 17, and 19 DE's. I usually stick with 2002's and fulls?????
The 20 multi is my favorite crash. Hands down

sammy123

Reaction score
Congrats on the cymbals. Isn't the swish amazing?

I also recommend the BBs. I mix them in with my Masters for some contrast.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm a Paiste collector, Paiste imo are by far the best sounding cymbals money can buy. That being said, I've never knowing heard, and definitely never seen the Swish in person.
They call it a ride, but looks more like a China.
After this, I need to find some video demonstrations of it.
What exactly is it?
The Swish is probably the only Paiste cymbal I know least about

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Yeah, that's what I've seen and heard on the net.
I wouldn't call it a ride, crash, or China.
It has properties of each, and like nothing I've ever seen, or heard before.
It has great stick attack, a very dark overtone, a sharp bell, and is cool as hell.
Does it have a primary purpose, or is it more of a 3 in 1 type cymbal?
Are there any musical examples I might hear the Swish in?
Very interesting percussive tool (for lack of better term)
I hope I run into one of these at a music store soon.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm a Paiste collector, Paiste imo are by far the best sounding cymbals money can buy. That being said, I've never knowing heard, and definitely never seen the Swish in person.
They call it a ride, but looks more like a China.
After this, I need to find some video demonstrations of it.
What exactly is it?
The Swish is probably the only Paiste cymbal I know least about
Yes, 20 inch multi, or any of the Fulls, 18 or larger. I know you're looking for Sigs, but the 2002's are just as amazing.
The Big Beat 2002's are excellent as well, but of all the Sig crashes, nothing beats the Full imo
I hope I didn't confuse anybody. I'm not looking for Sigs specifically, thats just what I happened to purchase because of what they sounded like to me. I had selected a 20 inch Signature thin as well. I left that at the shop for two reasons. First all the crash voices were very similiar, and secondly those HATS lol. They weren't in the original purchase but once I heard them in person I swapped out the 20 and added the hats. Now I m looking for a third crash, different voice no particular model or line preference just something different but that will still blend with what I have.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are these regular Signature or Signature Traditionals? The only Signature thin crashes I can find on the Paiste website are from the Traditionals line.
I believe they are traditionals. Small font cursive Paiste logo on top but nothing else the models are written underneath. I'll have to wait till I get home from work to verify.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hope I didn't confuse anybody. I'm not looking for Sigs specifically, thats just what I happened to purchase because of what they sounded like to me. I had selected a 20 inch Signature thin as well. I left that at the shop for two reasons. First all the crash voices were very similiar, and secondly those HATS lol. They weren't in the original purchase but once I heard them in person I swapped out the 20 and added the hats. Now I m looking for a third crash, different voice no particular model or line preference just something different but that will still blend with what I have.
Paiste hats are sick! For any situation,14 SE Sig's. The bell is an actual real sounding bell. It really comes in useful. There's just something about the 15 SE 2002's that sound better than any other hats (imo).
As for the 20 inch crash, I love the multi, above all others, but not for every mix. 2002 20 inch are incredible. I got a 19 2002 thin, and it has it's place for sure, but I tend to stay away from the things now. I really like the plain old 2002. It's not over powering, perfect sustain, cuts through in the best way, fits in any mix, and durable. That being said, the 20 Full Sig is also amazing.
I made a video (and I'm a newbie at it). No DAW. I use the EAD10, but shut everything off, except the volume, and run the mix through my board. A Tascam model 24.
I did Walking on the moon. I used the 15 se 2002, 18 2002, 18 Full, 24 2002 (although it's not played in the tune), an 8 inch Sig splash (best cymbal ever made (inch for inch lol)
If you wouldn't mind, I can post it. I only really get into the crashes for 1 beat, but even with my horrible mixing skills, the cymbal still sound great.
I do have a 10 A Custom splash up there, as I only have 1 10 2002, and 1 11 2002.
Like I said, I'm not very good at mixing yet, but these cymbals just never sound bad
If you want me to take it down I will..
If you want to hear any other Paiste size, or model, let me know, and I'll record it for you.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Paiste hats are sick! For any situation,14 SE Sig's. The bell is an actual real sounding bell. It really comes in useful. There's just something about the 15 SE 2002's that sound better than any other hats (imo).
As for the 20 inch crash, I love the multi, above all others, but not for every mix. 2002 20 inch are incredible. I got a 19 2002 thin, and it has it's place for sure, but I tend to stay away from the things now. I really like the plain old 2002. It's not over powering, perfect sustain, cuts through in the best way, fits in any mix, and durable. That being said, the 20 Full Sig is also amazing.
I made a video (and I'm a newbie at it). No DAW. I use the EAD10, but shut everything off, except the volume, and run the mix through my board. A Tascam model 24.
I did Walking on the moon. I used the 15 se 2002, 18 2002, 18 Full, 24 2002 (although it's not played in the tune), an 8 inch Sig splash (best cymbal ever made (inch for inch lol)
If you wouldn't mind, I can post it. I only really get into the crashes for 1 beat, but even with my horrible mixing skills, the cymbal still sound great.
I do have a 10 A Custom splash up there, as I only have 1 10 2002, and 1 11 2002.
Like I said, I'm not very good at mixing yet, but these cymbals just never sound bad
If you want me to take it down I will..
If you want to hear any other Paiste size, or model, let me know, and I'll record it for you.
Toast Tee, I asked for information lol....videos are great. Please post away. Can't wait to hear them.