Paiste t20 Prototypes - still have yours?

Tdipaul

Reaction score
A few years back these were all over the place at GC's. And they were cheap too, like $179 for a 22!

The "t20" labelled versions were almost all great.

Examples:

This 3100g 22" has the sweetest stick feel and tah sound to it. Not sure what series.model it became -my guess is the Rosie ride (?)

20" "crash",

20" Ride, also a gem. Very complex. Sweet Ride?

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have mine and it’s my main ride. Really pretty sound, with a nice shimmer, but nice and dark at the same time. The Paiste Protoypes might be the best buy on the cymbal market. You can really find some winners in that bunch.

I have two -

6DDC2BE5-40DF-4231-98D5-A970598758B9.jpeg

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I still have several.

22" Ride, 26xx grams - Very much like a Twenty Light Ride. It's fantastic.

20" Ride, 18xx grams - Like a cross between a Trad and Masters. Trashy, very nice.

18" Crash - 15xx grams - Just like a Twenty. High-pitched and loud.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only complaint is the crash on my ride. I rarely crash on it. It’s very gongy (is that a word?) But the ride sound is so spot on to my ear.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love my 16" T20 China. The trashiest I've ever heard.

Tdipaul

Reaction score
Same goes for the 22 I have. Its just a little too heavy to crash but the ride sound is to die for.
There was a used 22 Trad Light Ride for sale at a local shop so I brought the Proto with me to compare. I left without buying the Trad because the Proto was so much nicer sounding. Even the clerk was like, "Why would you buy this if you have that?"

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Memphis Drum Shop is posting loads of Sig and Masters prototypes last few days. Looks like they are going to introduce some light hats, heavy/power crashes and rides into both lines possibly? I's excited at the prospect of light Sig hats, they sound sweet, like a dark crisp top over a medium bottom.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Memphis Drum Shop is posting loads of Sig and Masters prototypes last few days. Looks like they are going to introduce some light hats, heavy/power crashes and rides into both lines possibly? I's excited at the prospect of light Sig hats, they sound sweet, like a dark crisp top over a medium bottom.

Those all seem brighter and splashier than my t20 Prototype. Are those Protoypes or actually Signature cymbals?

TrickRoll

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine are China cymbals. Mellower than typical. Blend well with my Traditional and they are not over-bearing in an acoustic setting.

Love them.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a fantastic 22“ T20 prototype ride. It is killer - kind of a Zildjian-ish Paiste. I also have a Paiste 19’ prototype china that I bought from Sonorholic, and it is my favorite china, and I believe a T20 prototype as well.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to search for a link now, but someone bought an AMAZING 20" 1600g crash prototype offa Memphis recently..

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the only way I can tell as well. Seems silly to have it on a sticker though, what if you take it off or lose it? Then there is no proof of what it is.