Paiste Traditional Thin Crash 18”

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Double checking the weight on this. I was looking at MyCymbal and yours is a lot lighter. Like I said. Just checking. Thanks

Well spotted. I've got an Extra Thin which weighs 1290g. Having an Extra Thin got me interested in the weight distributions for the Extra Thin vs Thin Crash. The distributions overlap, but nothing as low as 1124g has come up before. Not even 1224g.

Thin Crash: 1265, 1282, 1286, 1298, 1303, 1305, 1308, 1312
Extra Thin: 1265, 1290, 1300, 1450 (presumed a bogus weight)

Just call me GramStat. Or is that ZenWeight?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well spotted. I've got an Extra Thin which weighs 1290g. Having an Extra Thin got me interested in the weight distributions for the Extra Thin vs Thin Crash. The distributions overlap, but nothing as low as 1124g has come up before. Not even 1224g.

Thin Crash: 1265, 1282, 1286, 1298, 1303, 1305, 1308, 1312
Extra Thin: 1265, 1290, 1300, 1450 (presumed a bogus weight)

Just call me GramStat. Or is that ZenWeight?
whatever is is, you contribution is most appreciated.

I think I'd like this, I'm just checking details.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Double checking the weight on this. I was looking at MyCymbal and yours is a lot lighter. Like I said. Just checking. Thanks
Ill double check.
Maybe my scale was out of its position or smt. But that’s what i exactly got at the time. I got this cymbal from a long time endorser (35 years), could be one of the earlier model that is with lighter weight? Anyways, my scale could have gone wrong. Will update shortly.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
#1. TAREd scale
#2. 1st attempt
#3. 2nd attempt

My scale could be wrong or different.

Attachments

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Ha. Your scale looks just like mine! Thanks for doing the weighing again...and again.

I presume your cymbal is just that light, and much lighter than my Extra Thin which is from 1998 (so quite early as they started in 1996). What year is that one? Yours has the pAisTe ink on the bottom and the ink (not etched) logo on top. That came later. What isn't clear yet is the relationship in target weight range for the Extra Thin versus the Thin Crash. This is another case I use to argue that we need to be paying attention to more than just weight to improve our understanding of different models and how they come to sound as they do.

The commonly held believe about weights increasing over time may or may not check out. Weights might have increased, but the evidence I've got is that Paiste cymbals vary in weight for different models but not that much for the same model over time. That's based on thousands of weights across 602s, Sound Creations, and Traditionals. I haven't done the same for other lines yet. When I look at the evidence I don't see what people say, for example with Dark Rides where there is a tiny increase in the median but lots of overlap from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. And then the New Dimension models are back down in weight. Not a picture of some steady march towards increasing weight.

weights-by-era.png

I've mentioned wanting to wait for evidence before and had the classic sort of response from a well known endorser: "I thought everybody already knew that they got heavier." Well no, everybody doesn't. Some of us prefer to wait for the evidence before passing judgement.

And now back to your regularly scheduled sale.

seungkeeya

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
*UPDATE on weight

I hope this would be a deal breaker for some of you out there.
I was fooling around with my scale which was functioning a little bit funky recently, but got it to pretty consistent by weighing different objects.

I got the weight again for this beautiful cymbal, the weight seems to be around somewhat normal to me.
It weighs at 1256g. Few more times it went down to about 1220g, but I'd say it's pretty consistent at 1250g area.

Let me know if this changes the game for you!

Attachments

Latest posts