Paistes...a tough resale?

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just sold a Paiste Sig crash. I felt like I needed to go too low to sell it. Are Paistes a tough sell these days?

Seems like Zildjian and perhaps next Sabian are the first choice for most people in current times. This is only my impression though.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Paiste Sigs do well on Ebay, especially when really nice. They almost never go cheap....or even reasonable. That's not the case for used Zildjians which are many more times prevalent. I don't think most hobby drummers these days even know much about Paiste. And even if they do, most of them don't want to put the extra $$ into pro cymbals when Zildjians and Sabians can be so much cheaper. If you're dealing via FB and CL, the expensive Paistes probably linger for quite a while. If you price your Paistes to a similar % level of a Zildjian, it will take many times longer to sell the Paiste, if only for the much smaller number of players looking for them. And in my experiences the Sabians are even slower to sell. To move them in a short period of time you might have to discount them quite a bit.

The pool of quality used cymbals is constantly growing....while the numbers of acoustic drummers is probably shrinking or stagnant. Most of the A's and AA's from the 1960's to 2000's are still out there. It would help if you provided the Paiste cymbal, condition, and price you received to assess if it was really "too low." It might have been just right. I'd say 75-85% of the cymbal ads I see on-line from all sources start off priced above realistic market. And new sellers coming in perpetuate that by asking similar prices as those "unrealistic" sellers. It seems to me only about 10-15% of sellers have accepted where the market really is at and then price their cymbal(s) to move. If we don't start out in the "realistic" range, the market will educate us over the following months that we're not yet low enough.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think part of it is the higher prices in general for pro Paistes. I also think that dark, dry, and/or jazzy stuff is in vogue. Paiste has those things now, but it came on a lot later.

michiganice91

Reaction score
I think the market fluctuates. Unless you're a desperate seller, if you stick to your price and it's a fair price, it should sell in due time if it's a paiste.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I had been trying to sell a Paiste Signature 12" Splash on Craigslist for a while for what I thought was a fair price with nothing but low ball offers. I don't need the cymbal, which is why I was looking to sell or trade it, but I wasn't about to take it in the shorts either so I pulled the add.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It depends. Power Crashes and 16's are usually a hard sell. They sit for a while. But ones that cross various genres of music don't last long. Reverb usually does better than Craig's for me and I stopped eBaying.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It depends. Power Crashes and 16's are usually a hard sell. They sit for a while. But ones that cross various genres of music don't last long. Reverb usually does better than Craig's for me and I stopped eBaying.
Me too. No more of the bay! Only Reverb for me.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
602, Masters, and Traditionals definitely have a fan base and are generally easy sells.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Seems like it's not too difficult if what you're selling has a demand, obviously. Like dustjacket mentioned, I've had no issues selling 602's, Giant Beats, and 2002's. I've had difficulty selling my 2002 Power Ride, just because it's a Power Ride, which is much less in demand than a regular Medium ride. Paistes are always quality products, though, so they will sell.

REF

Reaction score
I have always taken the position if I want to sell cymbals I offer them for a good price, below what I see out there, any make, any model. If I don't want to sell it quickly, I offer it in league with what I see out there and wait for the right buyer to come along, which happens sooner or later.

As the population grows, the drum/cymbal/hardware buying pool does, as well, and as long as the economy is doing okay, there always seems to be a buyer for whatever is selling.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I've been looking for some used Paiste cymbals and there are not that many for sale relatively speaking. They sell for much more than other brands, probably why.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been looking for some used Paiste cymbals and there are not that many for sale relatively speaking. They sell for much more than other brands, probably why.
You’re right...but it took me a good while to sell a Sig fast crash. No one was interested.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bought every Paiste I own which is close to 30 from EBay and a couple from a former drum shop that was in Arizona that closed, can't remember the name.
I think most people just know when something is too much. I watched a few cymbals go through a few auctions and the price dropped. Lost many auctions as someone else was willing to pay more than I was.
As much as I hate EB from a sellers perspective I like to believe I bought all my cymbals from all the major makers over the last 20 years at great prices.

fatchoppers

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To me Paiste and Meinls and K’s are easier sells. There are paiste intermediate cymbals going for good coin

The Whale

Priest of the Temples of Syrinx
Reaction score
You’re right...but it took me a good while to sell a Sig fast crash. No one was interested.
Paiste is more of a specialized market. Craigslist is a hard place to try and sell them. Facebook market place or ebay and even Reverb should help you get better money. But as for selling cymbals on craigslist if its not Zildjian or Sabian forget it.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I haven't sold cymbals in the US for 15 years, but I've sold several (including two Paistes) recently in Costa Rica, paid some attention to US listings, and formed an impression.

My impression is that the cymbal manufacturers have taken to doing what the textbook publishers have long been doing, namely constantly issuing new editions in order to undercut the used market. Even though there's not much new about the new issues, they compete with some success against the previous ones.

There are also therefore now way too many cymbals for buyers to keep track of. I wouldn't know, but my guess is that anyone looking to buy a 20" ride today has 100 or more choices in front of them from just this year's crop. Include those from the last 60 years (many of which are still available) and buyers easily have 1000 to choose from. Sorry, only dedicated cymbalholics can keep track of all these.

Almost every cymbal is therefore a niche market. However, there are fashions in cymbals, such that some are hot for a few years only to drop out of favor (for no discernible reason). Buying and selling cymbals has become a bit like playing the stock market in that it's hard to time the prices.

I don't know about Paiste sigs, but I can think of a couple other cymbals that were hot a few years ago and now aren't. Their prices have dropped, even though the quality of the cymbals hasn't changed.

My experience is that you win some and lose some--and often have to wait to get your money out of some without cutting your price too much. As Marx would put it, the "use value" of the cymbals don't change, but their "market value" does. But because "use value" is real (while "market value" is ephemeral) you can usually get a decent price out of a quality cymbal eventually--unless of course the cymbal has fallen out of fashion and the market is glutted with them.

Oh, to the question, I haven't sold enough to be sure, but in my experience Sabians may lose market value the most and Zildjians the least. Zildjian still seems the dominant brand. But Paistes have loyal fans and in general I suspect do better than Sabians

Old Dog

Reaction score
If buyers aren't brand specific and are buying used, Zildjian simply has an advantage in numbers. There's a lot of used Zildjian, everywhere. Guys may want Paiste all around their kit, but I think that it's just easier to buy Z and still get the sounds they want.

I got LUCKY with my Paiste Dark Energy hats! I mean, that's the ONLY reason I bought them. Because a member here gave me a stellar deal. NO WAY I'd buy them new at $500 to $650, depending where you look. And if I did find them used, they were easily $300 to $400.

I know a lot of you are pretty anti with Ebay. And I get it. But, I personally have had great luck there with buying used. I frequent Reverb a lot more now. I've only been back into playing music for less than a year now.