Pandemic drum repair etc.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve had these drums sitting on my (multi-purpose) work bench for close to ten years. They all had experienced various degrees of “re-adjustment” as in holes, mounts, paint etc. I decided this was the perfect time to get them in some kind of respectable shape. I did the best I could with my skills (my father is a master carpenter so I know what is possible) and my tools. I’m happy with the results and the sound! I bought the hardware to put a bottom head on the gretsch 8x12 Tom. I think a double headed drum will be more useful to me. The 12x15 “floor Tom” is only useful when I need to get out of town quickly but maybe some day that will get a bottom head also. The 9x13 is a radio king with the wide rings. Nice sounding drum. I changed the strainer on the Ludwig field drum to the simpler mechanism and added the snares that Nacci gifted me awhile back. I’ve been playing through the Wilcoxon “All American Drummer” solos on it daily for a week. I’m almost to the end of the 150 solos. It sounds awesome and fills a need in my arsenal. Overall this was a great way to spend some downtime with no gigs or rehearsals, no socializing etc. I’ve got one more I’m slowly tackling. It’s a little slower going with the heat we have in Western New York right now. It’s a 14x18 bass drum outfitted with Slingerland hardware and mounts. I’m going to stain it and varnish like the others.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes. It had been painted black so there was somecpaint deep in the grain. With the stain i thin it came out pretty good.
Yeah! That's my favorite one. How are you going to do the bass?

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sweet.
I'm working on a project right now where I'm going to intentionally get a similar look with woodgrain filler. Should make for a smoother, more glass-like top coat.

Latest posts