Pandemic recording setups? Show ‘em here

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
How do you like the Zoom R16?
I haven't compared it side-by-side with other interfaces but I think it's pretty nice. I had an Alesis interface before this that was unfortunately stolen during a home burglary. I liked the preamps in the Alesis better but this one is easier to take with me to gigs. With the Alesis I had to bring my laptop, which was stolen as well, and it made live recording a little more work to set up. This can work standalone or as an interface to your DAW, and can work as a controller with your DAW, so you can mix/pan/FX all-in-one or direct to your computer. It saves everything to an internal SD card so you can copy those to your computer to work on it there too. The onboard mics of the Zoom are decent, and great for getting an idea or demo down quickly or for rehearsals, plus you can daisy chain units to have more mic pres.

Here's a live recording we did last year. The guitars and vocals are from a line-out of our board and the drums and bass are from the little built-in mics. I just set up the Zoom behind me and let it go.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@rculberson Ryno, How's the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 working for you? I'm having trouble deciding b/w the 2i2 and 4i4 (or other options).
Hey Moony!

I just got the Scarlett setup tonight. I had my guitarist/engineer help me (I’m painfully tech ignorant). Pro Tools First was a bust... kept defaulting to a substandard bit rate and buffer speed, so we went with Studio One as a DAW. The 2-channel interface works for me because 1) I’m now only interested in demoing sounds to tracks he sends me and 2) I have a really nice overhead mic (C414) that I feel accurately captures my toms, snare and cymbals (Beta 91a in the bass drum).

When it comes time to actually record the final product, I’ll go to his studio and record tracks there. This setup is really user friendly and gets some great sounds. Right now I have the C414 over my right shoulder looking down at the snare rim, right about at the spot I hit rim clicks.

Very pleased so far. Sounds coming soon. I should note that the Scarlett was backordered so I didn’t actually receive it till yesterday.

A581E256-6540-4FBC-B958-AADD95B8FDF3.jpeg

0345BDF5-78A2-419E-97A8-4C195BC02448.jpeg

8AEEFD30-D908-49E3-B938-BC80E74E68B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Here's my home setup:

Bass drum mic: Shure Beta 52
Snare top: Granelli G5790 (a SM 57 at a 90-degree angle)
Snare bottom: SM 57
Toms: Sennheiser e604
Overheads: Shure PG 81

Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
DAW: Pro Tools

IMG-8581_sm.jpg

hsosdrum

Reaction score
IMG_0615_S.jpg

Mics:
Bass drums: 2 x AKG D112
Toms: 4 x AKG P4
Overheads: 2 x AKG C214 (out of view)
Gong: 1 x AKG D880S (behind gong)

Interface:
PreSonus 1818VSL with PreSonus Digimax D8 (16 channels total)

Recording software:
PreSonus StudioOne Producer

I've been using this setup since 2014. Most of the mix comes from the overheads and bass drum mics; the tom mics add fullness. My recordings have a natural, in-room listener's perspective, which works as a good jumping-off point before adding song-dependent reverb and/or compression.

Last edited:

mebeatee

Reaction score
This place is about a mile from my house...outbuilding on a farm. We all had our separate entrances to load in and out etc. It was done in late Apr.....I had previously posted in the first gig since lockdown thread....
Otherwise we use an old Zoom H2 in my living room when we (used to) rehearse. My set up at home is more of a synth lab.....
Anyway...57 on snare, D112 on BD, various hot rodded (by the engineer) room mics hanging around....
A fellow from the farmhouse popped in to try his spiffy new iPhone's camera...
bt

Attachments

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks for the replies!! It looks like a lot of us are finding ways to stay active. That's fantastic! Keep them coming.

Moonman

Reaction score
Hey Moony!

I just got the Scarlett setup tonight. I had my guitarist/engineer help me (I’m painfully tech ignorant). Pro Tools First was a bust... kept defaulting to a substandard bit rate and buffer speed, so we went with Studio One as a DAW. The 2-channel interface works for me because 1) I’m now only interested in demoing sounds to tracks he sends me and 2) I have a really nice overhead mic (C414) that I feel accurately captures my toms, snare and cymbals (Beta 91a in the bass drum).

When it comes time to actually record the final product, I’ll go to his studio and record tracks there. This setup is really user friendly and gets some great sounds. Right now I have the C414 over my right shoulder looking down at the snare rim, right about at the spot I hit rim clicks.

Very pleased so far. Sounds coming soon. I should note that the Scarlett was backordered so I didn’t actually receive it till yesterday.

View attachment 444184

View attachment 444185

View attachment 444186
Looks great! I appreciate the information - I'm looking to do pretty much the same as you so this helps a lot. I see you're still digging the 17" Paiste hats. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda jealous! Stay safe, friend. Thanks again!

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks great! I appreciate the information - I'm looking to do pretty much the same as you so this helps a lot. I see you're still digging the 17" Paiste hats. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda jealous! Stay safe, friend. Thanks again!
The 17” hats are keepers for me. I added a 17” Masters Dark Crash to mix and match with the Trad Thin and DE crashes. Will be adding a 2oo2 Medium soon to have several 17” hat combinations available as desired.

wflrgr8

Reaction score
20200523_134858.jpg

Mics:
Bass drum: Shure Beta 52A
Toms: Sennheiser MD 421 II
Snare drum: Shure Beta 57
Overheads: Shure SM 94

Interface:
TASCAM US-1641

Recording software:
Cubase LE